Archibald and Bateman, Warrnambool. This firm consists of Mr. J. A. Archibald and Mr. W. H. Bateman, auctioneers and stock, station, and insurance agents. These gentlemen are both natives of Victoria (Mr. Bateman of Warrnambool), and both had extensive experience before establishing themselves in this branch of business in 1880. They are the local representatives of the Australian Mutual Provident Insurance Society of Melbourne.
Ardlie, William, Warrnambool, is a native of the colony, born at Moonee Ponds, near Melbourne, and educated at the latter place. He was articled in Warrnambool to Mr. George Barber, one of the earliest solicitors in the colony, passed his examination in Melbourne,and in 1867 formed a partnership with Mr. Barber, under the style of Barber and Ardlie. In 1878 the senior partner retired from the business, which Mr. Ardlie has carried on since in his own name, transacting the general business of a solicitor and conveyancer.
Atchison, John, Warrnambool, born in the county Derry, Ireland, landed at Melbourne, on 3rd February 1842, by the Robert Benn. He remained there until 1st October, 1843,when he removed to Port Fairy (Belfast) and fifteen months afterwards returned to the metropolis, where, for about a year, he was engaged managing a soap works. He then went back to the Western District, where he took a farm on the Rutledge Survey, and cultivated it for sixteen years. He next took a farm near Koroit, and worked it for twenty-three years until 1885, when he let it for a period, and, retiring from active life, took up his residence at Fair View, his present place of abode.
Block Brothers, Warrnambool, are natives of Ararat, Victoria, who learned their trade of watchmakers and jewellers in Melbourne, and opened business in the same line in Hamilton in 1882. In 1887 they purchased the stock of Wilson Brothers at their present locality in Warrnambool, and, having added largely to it, are now among the most extensive traders in the Western District in watches, clocks, jewellery, &c.
Browne, John, Warrnambool, is a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, who landed at Portland, Victoria, at Christmas, 1854, and went thence to Belfast by the first steamer, remaining in that place and Koroit about twelve years. He followed the building trade and built a hotel, which he kept for some time, when, retiring from business, he purchased his present property at Spring Gardens, near Warrnambool, about 1868, and settled down there.
Browne, John, junior, Warrnambool, was born in Kilmarnock, Scotland, and after ten years’ residence in London, where he followed the trade of cabinetmaker, he came to this colony in 1854, landing at Belfast. Mr. Browne has been almost everything, and has travelled over the greater part of Victoria and New Zealand. He purchased his present place, Pencoed, overlooking the Warrnambool racecourse, eight years ago.
Burall, R. D., Warrnambool, is a native of Wales, who came out to Australia in 1853, and spent considerable time on the diggings at Ballarat, Talbot, Clunes, Dunolly, &c. He built gasworks in Talbot in 1859, and went thence to Warrnambool, where, in 1877, he took charge as manager of the gasworks, which position he still occupies. The Warrnambool gas works were built by a private company in 1874, and taken over by the corporation in 1881. Six men are employed, and about 900 tons of coal per annum used, about ten million feet of gas being produced there from.
Carter, Samuel, Warrnambool, is a native of Yorkshire, England. He commenced business as a saddler and harnessmaker in Nottinghamshire, England, and came out to Victoria in 1865, proceeding at once to Warrnambool, where he engaged in the same business, and has ever since done an increasing and satisfactory trade. In 1885 he built his present handsome premises in Fairy-street. Mr. Carter’s is one of the oldest established places of business in the same line in the town.
Coghlan, William, Warrnambool, is a native of the colony, born at Belfast, his father having arrived in Australia in 1838. He landed at Sydney, but shortly afterwards came over to Victoria. Mr. W. Coghlan has a farm on the banks of the Merri River, on which he resides, and where he is engaged in agricultural pursuits.
Cust, Thomas C., Warrnambool, is a native of Victoria, born at Warrnambool. In 1872 he went to New South Wales, and, returning in 1834, took up his residence at Laverick Bank, near Warrnambool, where he is engaged in farming.
Davidson, George S., Warrnambool, is a native of Warrnambool, with which place he has always been connected, and has devoted himself to the cultivation of his farm on the bank of the Merri River at Woodend, near Warrnambool.
Davies, John, Warrnambool, was born in Carnarvon, North Wales, where he learned the trade of stonemason. He came to Warrnambool in 1853, when there was no jetty at Warrnambool, no made roads through the Western District, and when a few wattle and dab huts constituted the township. Mr. Davies has had much to do with the building of Warrnambool, having had constructed under him, as contractor, the Bank of Australasia, the National Bank of Australasia, the Post Office, a portion of the Western Hotel, O’Brien’s shops, the Wesleyan Church, the Church of England, the Victoria Hotel, and many stores and private residences. He is now at work on the Catholic Cathedral. He had a bluestone quarry about three miles from the town. Mr. Davies also carries on the business of a monumental mason, and has had as many as fifty men in his employ.
Elliott, F. A., Warrnambool, was born in Warrnambool, and educated and taught his trade there. He commenced business as a boot and shoe merchant in 1879 on Raglan-parade, and moved to Fairy-street in 1885. He deals both in imported and colonial goods, and keeps seven or eight hands employed.
Farrer, Thomas, Warrnambool, was born at No. 18 Nassau-street, New York City, U.S.A., and left there, when three years old, for England, where he learned the trade of watchmaking with Mr. W. E. Cribb, chronometer maker to the British Admiralty, 30 Southampton-row, Russell—square, London. He sailed from London to to New Zealand, and thence to Victoria, spending about three years in the colonies, and then returned to England, entering the employ as foreman of Rowell and Son, Oxford and London, chronometer and watch makers to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, Prince Assam of Egypt, and the University of Oxford, and remaining there four years. After that he was engaged by Mr. George Farrar, of Tunbridge Wells, watchmaker and jeweller to H.R.H. Princess Louise and the Marquis of Lorne. He left England again for the Cape of Good Hope, visited the Kimberley diamond fields, and came on to Melbourne in 1885, proceeding to Warrnambool, where he is now located in business as a watchmaker and jeweller in Timor-street. Mr. Farrer has visited California, Colorado, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska.
Flaxman, John, Warrnambool, is a native of England, who came from England to South Australia in 1839 with his father, one of the founders of that colony, and for many years comptroller of Savings Banks in Victoria. Mr. J. Flaxman was educated at St. Peter’s College, Adelaide, where he took the highest honours, and went to Warrnambool in 1863. For many years he was partner in the firm of S. Macgregor and Co., auctioneers, stock and station agents, etc., and has been a land and commission agent since. He has been a member of the town council, and president of the local Debating Society, and of the Amateur Theatrical Society. He is also a close student of chess problems. Flaxman’s Bluff, on the coast, near the mouth of Curdie’s River, is named after him.
Fleetwood, Dr. T. F., F.R.C.S.I., Warrnambool, is a native of Dublin, who took his degrees at Trinity College, Dublin, and a Fellowship of the College of Surgeons, Ireland. He came to Australia in 1874, landing at Sydney, N.S.W., then coming to Melbourne, remained there twelve months. At the expiration of that period, in 1875, he commenced practice at Warrnambool, where he holds the appointment of health officer for the town, port, and shire of Warrnambool. Dr. Fleetwood took his M.A. degree at the Melbourne University.
Fletcher, John, Warrnambool, carries on the business of a manufacturer of ærated waters, cordials, hop bitters, &c., in Warrnambool, and does a trade extending throughout the Western District. The establishment was started by Mr. J. Davis, with whom Mr. Fletcher was connected from its commencement, and whom he succeeded in 1885.
Gaul, Alexander, Warrnambool, was born in Banffshire, Scotland, and came to Victoria in April, 1861. From Melbourne he proceeded straight to his present property, where he has successfully devoted himself to the cultivation of general farm produce up to now.
Geilhofer, R., Warrnambool, is a native of Ulm, on the Danube, in Germany. He came to Australia in 1854, and was for some time on the diggings in Ballarat, after which he took a trip home. On his return he settled in Warrnambool, and became cashier for Paterson and Co. for several years. In 1881 he established himself in the general estate and produce agency business, of which he was sole proprietor until 1886, when he was joined in partnership by Mr. Helpman, the firm now being carried on under the style of Geilhofer and Helpman.
Gibton, Robert, LL.D., Warrnambool, was born in the county Dublin, Ireland, and came to Victoria in 1853, where for many years he occupied a position in the Civil Service. In 1863 Dr. Gibton acted as Clerk of the Peace, &c., in Maldon, and was removed to Talbot, where he performed the same functions. He went to Warrnambool in 1868, and, until a short time since, occupied the prominent positions of Chief Clerk in Insolvency, Clerk of the Peace for the western bailiwick, Registrar of the County Court, Deputy Coroner, Justice of the Peace, &c. He was admitted as a barrister-at-law in 1874, and received the degree of LL.D. from the Universities of Dublin and Melbourne.
Gleeson, M., Warrnambool,landed in Melbourne from Glasgow, per ship Tornado, in 1853, and went to Warrnambool shortly afterwards by the steamer Queen. By dint of strict frugality he was enabled to purchase the land in Liebig-street, where he now has his livery stable, for the price of £1200. In 1854 he started livery-stable keeping, and has remained at that business ever since.
Granter, James, Warrnambool, was born in Devonshire, England, and landing at Portland, Victoria, he proceeded first to Allansford, on the Hopkins River, and afterwards to Warrnambool, and followed his trade as a mason. In 1855 he commenced contracting, his first essay in that line being the grubbing and clearing of the streets of Warrnambool. He then commenced dealing in horses and carting to the Ararat diggings. In 1858 he was proprietor of the Duchess of Kent Hotel, and is now located at Granter’s store, Lava-street, Warrnambool. As a public contractor he has made over 200 miles of roads and over twenty bridges. He constructed the first ford over the Hopkins, and has helped to build a large part of Warrnambool.
Greening Bros., Warrnambool. This firm consists of Messrs. E. and J. Greening, who were born in Devonshire, England, and who came to Warrnambool in 1862, and were brought up and learned their trades there. In 1883 they started in business as boot and shoe merchants, and now do large business in English, French, and Austrian goods, importing direct. They also keep a full line of colonial stock, and have six men steadily employed. The premises are in Liebig-street. Mr. E. Greening is a member of the Warrnambool town council.
Harririgton, Dr. R. H., Warrnambool, is a native of Ireland, who took his degree of M.D. at Paris, and M.R.C.P. at Glasgow, and who came on to Tasmania in 1841, being there appointed surgeon to the Circular Head Company. He was some years in practice at Campbelltown, Tasmania, and went to California as ship surgeon in 1851, taking two trips, and spending some six months in that State. After that he again settled in Campbelltown, and remained there until 1860, when he proceeded to Warrnambool, and commenced practice there. He was appointed medical officer at the hospital, and is also now engaged in general practice.
Harris, W. J., Warrnambool, was born in Devonshire, England, and came to Australia in 1870, going direct to Warrnambool. Soon after his arrival he commenced business in Liebig-street as hairdresser and tobacconist, and the following year went to Belfast and carried on the same business there three years, returning to Warrnambool in 1874 and opening his present establishment in Timor-street, next the Commercial Hotel.
Helpman, W. S., Warrnambool, is a native of Fremantle, West Australia, who was educated in Portland, Victoria, and at the Grammar School, Melbourne. He joined the National Bank at Warrnambool in 1869, afterwards serving the same bank at Geelong, as accountant. In 1875 he entered the employ of the Colonial Bank at Koroit, and opened a branch at Belfast, after which he was appointed to Warrnambool as manager of the bank there. Mr. Helpman has been major in the Victorian Militia for the past ten years, and now commands the Warrnambool Battery Garrison Artillery.
Hood, James, Warrnambool, was born in East Lothian, Scotland, and came to Victoria in 1868. Landing in Melbourne, he proceeded to Belfast, and remained there about a year, after which he removed to Woolaston, where he engaged in the avocation of grazing. In 1886 he purchased his present place at Laverock Brae, on the Belfast-road, where he now resides.
Hourigan, Daniel, Warrnambool, is a native of Limerick, Ireland, who landed at Portland in 1853, and immediately went to Port Fairy. He has been about thirty years engaged in contracting, mainly for road-making, of which work he has done a large amount in the Western District, and in other parts of the colony. His first contract was for the formation of a street at Belfast (Port Fairy), from which place he also made the road to Koroit, and to Spring Creek (Woolsthorpe) and Ararat. He has built a number of bridges, amongst others those between Koroit and Ararat, and has performed some very heavy work between Ballarat, Ararat, and Stawell. For a considerable period he carried on farming and grazing at Tower Hill, in conjunction with his contracting business, but has let his farm and purchased his present property, Villavourneen, at Warrnambool, where he now resides. In 1860 the Government voted £100,000 for road and other necessary public works, the greater portion of which were done by Mr. Hourigan.
Hutton, J. C., Warrnambool, is the proprietor of a bacon-curing establishment on the Belfast-road, a branch from the head place in Melbourne. A large business is done here, an average of 150 pigs being killed weekly, and trade being transacted all over the colony, and with Queensland and New South Wales. Mr. John Wheeler, the local manager, is a native of Preston, Victoria, who was formerly in the Melbourne house, but was placed in charge of this branch when it was established. Mr. Joseph Lucas, buyer for the firm, was born in Launceston, Tasmania, and has been identified with the business since its start.
Jellie, James, Warrnambool, was born in Ireland in 1831, and came to Melbourne on the 3rd April, 1841, where he remained for eighteen months, and then proceeded to Belfast, and was engaged in various occupations. In 1849 he went to Warrnambool, the place being at that time in its infancy, and followed the avocation of a farmer. He commenced his present business as auctioneer, loan and estate agent, and valuator, in Warrnambool, about eighteen years ago, and it is said that he has passed through his hands as large quantities of land as any man in the colony. Mr. Jellie was a member of the shire council for years both of Warrnambool and Belfast, and a member of the borough council of the latter place. He is also a prominent member of Warrnambool racing club, and of the rowing club since its formation.
Jewell, W. H., Warrnambool, is a native of Plymouth, England, who came out to Queensland and went on to Sydney, N.S.W., and spending three years at the Manning River, returned to Sydney, and came to Victoria in 1869, settling in Warrnambool, where he was seven years in partnership with Mr. Stannard, and has since been in business for him self for the past nine years as proprietor of a veterinary and shoeing forge.
Jobbins and M’Leod, Warrnambool. This firm was established in 1858 as one of architects and surveyors. The main office is in Melbourne, and of that Mr. George Jobbins has charge, Mr. James M’Leod being the representative at the Warrnambool office.
Kennedy, Richard Frank, chemist, commenced his present business in Timor-street, Warrnambool, in the year 1880, and now does an extensive retail and wholesale trade — in fact, he is one of the leading firms in the place. Mr. Kennedy is chemist by appointment to His Excellency Sir Henry B. Loch. He was at one time vice-president of the Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria, and member of the Board of Pharmacy. He is a member for the Hopkins ward of the Warrnambool town council, and has been appointed one of the trustees of the local Savings Bank.
King, Thomas, J.P., Warrnambool, is a native of Leicestershire, England, who came out to Victoria thirty-four years since, and first employed himself for a time as gardener in the service of the police magistrate at Portland. He then went to Warrnambool, and was engaged for twelve months as storekeeper for Mr. George Bostock and Manifold and Bostock. His next term was devoted to road contracting, after which he was a carrier for a time, and finally established himself in Warrnambool as a produce merchant, which business he still carries on. During his occupation as a carrier Mr. King had some exciting adventures with the bushrangers of the period. He was one of the promoters of the Western Shipping Company, and mayor, a position he has held five times. He transacted the purchase of the gas works for the corporation. Amongst other important public undertakings with which he has been connected, are the present market, and the public parks and gardens. Mr. King has been a member of the Warrnambool town council for over twenty years, and is now a representative for the Victoria ward, and a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick for seventeen years.
Lovewell, George H., Warrnambool, was born in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A., who removed thence to California in 1875, and commenced the study of the photographic profession the same year with Mr. W. M. Tuttle, the founder of the San Francisco portrait parlours, Elizabeth-street, Melbourne, and came out to Australia with that gentleman in 1880, remaining with him for a short time at the studio in Elizabeth-street. He then took charge for a time of the San Francisco portrait parlours in Rundle-street, Adelaide, and afterwards visited Perth and Fremantle, West Australia, and Auckland, Christchurch, Napier, and Dunedin, New Zealand, opening studios in each place for the taking of gem photographs. In 1884 he went to Warrnambool, and opened the “Elite” studio in Timor-street, where he produces all kinds of fine photographic work, making a specialty of children’s portraits.