As published in Victoria and Its Metropolis, Past and Present – Vol II. – The Colony and It’s People in 1888; Published by McCarron, Bird, & Co., Melbourne.
Ball, Henry, Easter Downie, near Casterton, a native of Gloucester, England, came out to Adelaide, S.A., by the ship Nabob in 1855, and commenced his trade of blacksmith, but, his health giving way, he went to Mount Gambier in 1860 as a farm hand, and was there ten years, after which he rented 80 acres of land near Mingbool, and farmed it successfully for three years. He then took up 113 acres in the same locality, which he afterwards purchased, farming and dairying on it until 1884, when he sold out, came over to Victoria, and joined his son at Easter Downie, who already had a farm there. The farm, Park Hill, on the Glenelg, Limestone Creek, comprises 380 acres. They have also 580 acres of selected land, and 1000 acres leased from the Crown. Mr. Ball has lately purchased 80 acres of rich river-flat agricultural land, and carries on farming and grazing successfully. He owned the first threshing-machine in the district. He is the eldest son of Mr. James Henry Ball, a well-known resident of Mount Gambier.
Barry, John J., Casterton, is a native of Victoria, who entered the service of the Postal department many years since. After being for a time in the Melbourne post-office he was transferred to several branch offices, and was then appointed relieving postmaster for county districts, travelling in this capacity all over the colony. In 1876 he was appointed post and telegraph master, receiver and paymaster, land officer, and deputy-registrar of births and deaths at Casterton, which position he still holds. He is a member of the committee of the Mechanics’ Institute, chairman of committee of the Casterton racing club and president of the committee of the athletic and sports club, also vice-president of the Casterton Horticultural Society. The Casterton post and telegraph offices and courthouse are one block of buildings, situated in Henty-street, in the centre of the township, and were erected in 1875. The edifice is a many-gabled building, at one side of which are the postmaster’s private rooms, and is surrounded by a well-kept garden. It is intended shortly to enlarge the post-office premises.
“Caramut House” The Residence of H. F. De Little, Esq.
Bolan, John, Balmoral, is a native of Mitchellstown, county Cork, Ireland. He left Ireland in December, 1853, and landed at Portland, Victoria, in March of the following year. For the first twelve months he was with Mr. Officer at Rockland, after which he was engaged in various stations until 1865. He then selected 1000 acres, which he now owns and occupies, his station being named Bellevue. Mr. Bolan and family own over 3000 acres of land, which is devoted to sheep-farming.
Bull, George Arthur, Dunkeld, is a Victorian native, who went to Christchurch, New Zealand, with his parents when a body, and remained there for his education. He then returned to Victoria in 1873, and commenced as assistant to his uncle, Mr. Henry Cotton, who had established a storekeeping business in Dunkeld in 1865, and who carried it on until 1877, when he succeeded by Mr. W. Templeton, Mr. Bull transferring his services with the business. In 1878 the store was destroyed by fire, and the site and remaining out-buildings were purchased by Mr. Bull’s father, who erected another shop, and carried on the business, under the style of George Bull and Son, until October, 1886, when he relinquished it in favour of Mr. G. A. Bull, who now conducts it. The store, dwelling, and outbuildings are situated in Dunlop-street, close to the railway station, and occupy one acre. The shop is stocked with every class of general storekeepers’ goods and drapery, Mr. Bull’s trade extending all over the district.
Burt, Thomas John, Casterton, was born in Kent, England, and came out to Adelaide, S.A., by the ship Constance, in 1846, being then a youth. He commenced his colonial career as a jockey, and in 1862 came to Victoria, and followed his calling, riding in all principal races at Hamilton, Casterton, Horsham, and in various other districts, and competing against such well-known riders, in those days, as Mr. A. Lindsay Gordon, William Trainor, (now of the Koroit Hotel, Coleraine), T. Wells, Steve Mahon, Dick Dalrymple, Mallelly, Fergusson, Billy Bell of Heywood, and others. During that time he worked for a while for £1 a-week for Mr. George Chaffey, then the proprietor of the Glenelg Hotel. In 1872 he started hawking, and remained at that occupation four years, and then (1876) built a store at Brany Creek, Gippsland, and eighteen months afterwards purchased the Mitchell hotel, now the Victoria Hotel, at Bairnsdale, remaining there about three and a-half years. He then removed to Casterton, and purchased the Glenelg Hotel from his former employer, Mr. Chaffey, and now carries it on. This hotel is situated on the bank of the Glenelg River, east of the township, and is a large and comfortable house of thirty-four rooms, with mail-coach and livery stables and offices adjoining, and occupies two acres. Mr. Burt has other valuable properties in the district, namely, 1400 acres of first-class grazing land at Dergholm, on the banks of the Glenelg, the Dergholm Hotel, and 65 acres attached, and also 242 acres at Bairnsdale, Gippsland. As a remarkable incident in Burt’s earlier life may be mentioned his feat of race-riding at Thebarton, the Adelaide (S.A.) racecourse, where on Cockahoop, in 1854, he cleared a jump of some 30 feet of water.
Cameron, Archibald, Coleraine, is a native of Argyleshire, Scotland, who came out to the colony with his parents in 1857. They settled near Branxholme, where Mr. A. Cameron lived about ten years. He then bought his present place, Ardmohr, about six miles from Coleraine, of 1200 acres, where he devotes himself mainly to grazing. He is the son of Mr. Hugh Cameron.
Cameron, John, Dunkeld, was born in South Australia, where his father owned the Penola station from 1842 to 1863. His father at that time came over to Victoria and purchased four stations, namely, Avoca Forest, Strathfillan, Nattie Yallock, and Dallinyong. He afterwards took possession of the Warrayure station, comprising 11,700 acres, near Lake Linlithgow, between the township of Hamilton and Dunkeld, and intends shortly to subdivide the property into small farms.
Carmichael, George J., Penshurst, is son of Mr. William Carmichael, runholder, of Harton-hills station, near Macarthur, and a native of the colony. In 1856 he went to Edinburgh, Scotland, where he remained for his education until 1865, when he returned to Australia, and managed his father’s station until 1875. He then took charge of the entire horses Dancer, Break o’ Day, and Argonaut, travelling them until 1880, when he took the management of the Banatta station, New South Wales, for Mr. Ricketson. In 1881 he returned to Victoria, and acted as agent at Penshurst for Messrs. R. S. Bree and Co., of Hamilton, until 1884, after which he engaged in Ballarat with Messrs. James Johnston and Co., stock and station agents. In March, 1887, he purchased the Mount Rouse flour mills, Penshurst, which he now conducts. The mill is situated close to the township. It is complete in all details, working three pairs of stones by steam power. It stands on two acres of ground, and turns out from fifty to sixty tons of flour monthly. Mr. Carmichael is agent for the South British Insurance Company, and secretary of the local Australian Natives’ Lodge.
Church of England, Coleraine. This parish formed part of one of the earliest established parochial districts of the original diocese of Melbourne, and necessarily is included now in the bishopric of Ballarat. The handsome church edifice (Holy Trinity), erected about twenty-five years ago, has lately been furnished with the first set of village carillons that have been introduced into the colony. The present vicar, the Rev. C. L. H. Rupp, landed in Melbourne direct from Germany in 1848. He was ordained from Moore College, New South Wales, in 1862, and became curate to Archdeacon Braim, of Belfast (now Port Fairy). Subsequently he held the following parishes:- Cranbourne, Dandenong, Belfast, Learmouth, Koroit, and in 1884 he accepted his present charge, comprising five outlying districts besides Coleraine itself.
Connor, Dr. Samuel, M.D., Ch.B., M.A.O., Coleraine, is a native of Stonyford, county Antrim, Ireland, and came to Australia in 1882. He received his medical education at Queen’s College, Belfast; graduated in Queen’s University, Ireland, in 1881; in Royal University, Ireland, in 1885; in Melbourne University in 1886; and was four months in the hospitals at home. Shortly after his arrival in the colonies he settled in Coleraine, where he has no an extensive practice. In 1884 he went to Great Britain for a trip, and availed himself of the opportunity to visit many of the hospitals there. Dr. Connor holds Her Majesty’s commission of the peace for the western bailiwick.
Cussen and Ingpen, Casterton. This firm of auctioneers, &c., consists of Messrs. John Finn Cussen and T. L. Ingpen. Mr. Cussen is a native of Sydney, N.S.W., who commenced business on his own account in Casterton in 1877 as proprietor of the Casterton News, and also as auctioneer and land agent, the latter in conjunction with Mr. James. In 1881 he sold out of the newspaper, and devoted the whole of his time to the auctioneering business. In 1882 Mr. James severed his connection with the firm, Mr. Cussen admitting his present partner, Mr. Ingpen, into the business. The firm does a large business as auctioneers and stock, station, and corn-mission agents; their premises, consisting of three offices and auction-rooms, being in a central position in Henty-street, and contained within a lofty building 40 feet square. Mr. Cussen is a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick.
Cuzens, James, Balmoral, is a native of London, England, who arrived in this colony in 1849. In 1855 he, in partnership with his brother, started business in Geelong as general storekeepers, and carried it on for one year. He then travelled with goods about the country for some six years, and in 1862 settled in Balmoral and established his present business of general store-keeper. He has one of the principal establishments in the district for the supply of the surrounding country, his stock consisting of soft goods, iron-mongery, groceries, boots and shoes. Mr. Cuzens was for one year a member of the Wannon shire council.
De Little, H. F., “Caramut House,” Caramut. The land around the residence of Caramut was first taken up about 1838 by Mr. Muston, who settled near the present site of “Cararnut House”; the creek which runs through the garden is called Muston’s Creek after him. The land changed hands several times until about 1850, when De Little Brothers bought the estate, which was then somewhat larger than at present, though not in the same compact state. The Duffy Land Act of 1862 led to the cutting up of the run, and the Messrs. De Little purchased as much of it as they could. In 1864 Mr. Henry De Little bought out his brothers, managed the estate himself, and made it his residence. He died in 1870, leaving it in the hands of trustees. Under the able supervision of the present manager the estate was brought into its present compact state by exchange with surrounding estates and defining the boundaries. The estate consists of about 19,000 acres, well fenced in, and kept in perfect order. It is the kind of country which grows the fine silky quality of wool that always commands a high price in the market. The Caramut wool is now one of the best known clips, and in 1886 brought the second highest price for washed wool in the London market. When the brothers De Little first came to Caramut they found a small stone building erected by the last owner; our illustration (above) shows the present “Caramut House,” a commodious bluestone structure, built by Mr. Henry De Little about 1865, and twice added to since.
Doyle, John, Casterton, is a native of the district, and commenced his career at farming in 1869, during which year he took first-prize medal at the Coleraine ploughing match, being then about fifteen years of age. Since then he has carried off numerous prizes for ploughing in the shape of stakes, sets of harness, swingle trees, &c. He won the silver cup first-prize at the Merino, Sandford, and Casterton Agricultural and Pastoral Society’s match in 1880, and the champion cup in 1886 at Mount Gambier. He purchased a farm of 75 acres at Carapook, near Sandford, in 1878, which he still owns, and continued farming until October, 1886, when he took possession of the Bridge Inn, Casterton, the property of his father, and now conducts it. The hotel is a large one, finely situated near the bridge at the east end of the township. It contains twenty-two rooms, including a spacious billiard-saloon, recently added.
Edgar, David, J . P., Harrow. This gentleman, the proprietor of the Pine Hills station, is a native of Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and arrived in Victoria in 1838. He was employed for one year by Bailey Bros. at Werribee and Carngham, and was next with the Furlong brothers, and for them went in November 1840 to the Grange, where the town of Hamilton now stands. In 1842 he went to Heywood, where he kept an inn for seven years, after which he bought, in partnership with Mr. Birmingham, Mullagh station, and soon afterwards Pine Hills. In 1855 the partnership was dissolved and the property divided, Mr. Edgar taking Pine Hills. Mr. Edgar has been a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick since 1864, and was a member of the shire council for many years. In 1862 he was elected a member of the North Harrow road board, and for the following ten years continuously held the seat, being also chosen chairman four times. On the proclamation of the district of Kowree as a Shire, on the 24th January, 1872, he became a member of the council, and continued such until 1884, occupying the presidential chair four times during that period, and on the expiration of his term of office, he was presented with an illuminated address from his brother councillors. His estate consists of 14,000 acres, and he has settled on his sons 25,000 acres besides. He has been largely identified with the improvements of the locality in which he resides. Mr Edgar married, in 1844, Sarah O’Meara, a native of Ireland, who came with her parents to Tasmania in 1830, and to Victoria in 1841. Of his family of ten children, three sons and two daughters are still living.
Frewer, John B., Penshurst, came with his father to Victoria in 1852, from England, his native country, being then but a boy. Soon after landing he went with his father to the Fryers Creek diggings, the latter being fortunate there, but on returning to Melbourne, and investing in unlucky speculations, he lost near all his hardly-earned money, and died shortly afterwards. Mr. J. B. Frewer and his mother then, in 1855, embarked in the hotel-keeping business at the Old Swan Hotel, Ballarat. In 1861 he took a trip to England, his mother dying during his absence. On his return in 1866 he spent some years working for others in various places, and in 1879 started business on his own account at the Victoria hotel, Macarthur, remaining there seven years. In 1882 he settled at Penshurst, and now conducts the Penshurst Hotel, one of the leading houses of the district.
Henderson, George, Coleraine, was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, learned his trade as mechanist, blacksmith, and coach-builder in England, and came out to the colony in 1862. He went first to Portland, and was then for a time in Melbourne, but returned to Portland, and remained there several years. In 1875 he went to Coleraine, and started the business indicated, which he now carries on.
Henderson, Rev. James, Balmoral, is the pastor of the Presbyterian Churches at Balmoral and Harrow. The congregation in the former place was formed in 1859, and at the same time in the latter by the Rev. James Treadwell, who was succeeded by Mr. Henderson four years later. The Rev. James Henderson was born at Hamilton on the Clyde, Scotland, and arrived in Australia in 1860. In 1861 he was ordained as pastor of Evandale, Tasmania, where he remained until he was removed to Balmoral. He has fourteen places for holding divine worship in the district.
Henty, Francis, Merino Downs, was the youngest of a family of eleven, of whom only two now survive. His father, Mr. Thomas Henty, of West Tarring, county of Sussex, having determined to emigrate, despatched three of his sons to Western Australia, where they landed in 1828. Finding the country not suited for their purpose of cultivating the merino sheep, Mr. James Henty, the eldest son, proceeded to Tasmania with his stock, and was there joined in 1831 by his father, mother, and the rest of the family, including Francis. After some time spent in exploration it was determined to form a settlement on the mainland of Australia at Portland, where Sir. Edward Henty arrived on the 19th November, Francis following, and landing on the 13th December. The little sailing vessel Thistle, of sixty tons, with the first cargo of stock, had a very severe passage from Launceston to Portland, lasting no less than five weeks. Continuous westerly gales often drove the small craft back—nearly wrecked on one occasion, and with the loss of half the stock, was the prelude to Mr. Edward Henty’s landing as a settler in Victoria; thankful, however, might he be that no loss of human life had occurred. Francis’s experience on the second voyage was more favourable; a gale indeed drove them back to the shelter of King’s Island, but the stock were eventually all landed alive and well. In the previous year Edward had gone on a voyage in the Carnarvon, a whaler, searching for land on this continent, looking into every bay or refuge for shelter between this and Spencer’s Gulf. After this, Mr. Thomas Henty, not liking to give up the 84,000 acres of land to which he was entitled in Western Australia without personal inspection, determined to undertake the voyage, with his son Edward, in the Thistle, to see and judge for himself. The examination only confirmed the report of his son James and the other members of the family who had previously determined to abandon it, and he then formed the plan of trying his fortune at Portland, Mr. James Henty going to England to endeavour to get the land in Western Australia exchanged for land in Victoria. The English Government did not approve of free selection before survey, and would not countenance the scheme. It was only in later years, when land had grown into value, that the idea of giving it away came into vogue. Taken to Launceston on business in 1835, Mr. F. Henty took his passage on the return voyage in a small cutter the Mary Ann, of 35 tons register, bound along the Australian coast in search of a suitable bay for a whaling station. Sailing from Launceston on or about the 1st August, the vessel was wind-bound at the entrance of the Tamar for a fortnight. During this time a message came from Launceston to prevent Mr. J. Pascoe Fawkner from proceeding to Port Phillip in the Sally Ann, another small vessel, then lying in the Tamar under charter by members of the family to proceed to Western Australia, inducements having been offered to the captain of that vessel to put in at Hobson’s Bay for the purpose of landing him there. Had these overtures been listened to, and any accident happened to the vessel, the policy of insurance would have been vitiated, and heavy loss resulted to the family. Mr. Fawkner’s arrival in Victoria was thus postponed, and the incident is merely mentioned as tending to throw light upon some disputed points. Mr. Fawkner subsequently reached Victoria in his own schooner, the Enterprise, after the arrival of that vessel from New Zealand. After having left Low Heads only a few hours a westerly gale sprang up. Driven into Port Sorell, the Mary Ann lay wind-bound for several days, and subsequently, from the prevalence of foul weather, was driven into every small place of shelter from Launceston Heads to Circular Head, on the Tasmanian coast, and from Port Phillip Heads to Portland on the other. On arrival in Port Phillip, and landing at Indented Head, a visit was paid to Mr. William Batman’s hut, when it was found that a vessel was required to take his party up the Yarra Yarra. This the Mary Ann was engaged to do, Buckley being of the party. On arriving at the falls in the Yarra, Fawkner’s party was seen encamped on the south bank of the river, where they had erected a tent, but Mr. Fawkner himself was not there. This statement is confirmed by the address of Old Colonists presented to H.R.H the Duke of Edinburgh by Mr. E. Henty in 1868, which bears Mr. Fawkner’s signature, with the date of his landing, 9th October, 1835. Landing with Batman, Mr. F. Henty assisted him to pitch his tent on what was afterwards known as Batman’s Hill. This must have been about the middle of September, as after leaving Port Phillip, and going into every place of shelter on the Victorian coast, the Mary Ann arrived at Portland on the 1st October, in almost exactly two months after leaving Launceston — a voyage that, via Melbourne, a passenger now-a-days would think it hard if it lasted beyond forty-eight hours. For nearly three years the Messrs. Henty fed their flocks in the neighbourhood of Portland. In the last week of August, 1836, Major Mitchell made his appearance at Portland. At this time there was no one settled nearer Portland than where Melbourne now stands, and the appearance of a stranger was somewhat startling in those days of escaped convicts. However, the major was recognised by one of the establishment. He was furnished with supplies, had the pleasure of witnessing the excitement of a whale chase, and in return informed Mr. Henty of the existence of the fine country at the back of Port land, on the Wannon River, which he had named Australia Felix. On the 3rd August, 1837, a settlement was commenced in this country at the spot since known as Merino Downs, and of which Mr. Henty has now for near 40 years been the owner. Conflicts between the blacks and some of the whites could scarcely be avoided, but Mr. Henty had not much trouble, the aborigines soon becoming friendly, but they were never allowed to bring their spears and other weapons within a certain distance of the hut. To show how quickly the country was taken up after the first essay had been made, it may be mentioned that in 1839 Messrs. James and Stephen G. Henty rode overland from Geelong to Portland, and were able to obtain shelter each night during the whole journey. — Mr. Henty, though keeping up his establishment at Merino Downs, resides for the most part in Melbourne, taking an interest in the savings banks, of which he is a commissioner, the Old Colonists’ Association, the National Agricultural Society, and such like institutions.
Holmes, John, Sandford, came from England to Melbourne, in 1856, while a boy. His father was a miller, and from him he gained his know ledge of the milling trade. His father had a windmill, and later a steam-mills at Hamilton, and also at Byaduk, where he still carries on the business. In 1873 Mr. J. Holmes went to Sandford, and started as head miller for Mr. Peter Learmonth, of Hamilton, and still carries on the industry. The mill has been considerably enlarged since Mr. Holmes went to it, being now a large brick building in the centre of the township, and worked by twenty-five horse steam power. It works four pairs of stones, and turns out about 500 tons annually. The building stands in three acres of ground. The flour produced is of high quality, and competes successfully with that of other mills in the district.
Hood, Robert, Hexham West, the present proprietor of the Merrang Station, is a native of Berwickshire, Scotland, who arrived in this colony in January, 1854, and purchased Bolac Plains Station from the late Mr. Robert Anderson, its first occupant, in April of the same year. Three years after wards he bought Merrang, and removed thither, also retaining Bolac Plains for three years following, and then selling it to Mr. R. Jamieson, the present owner. Mr. Hood is well-known as a breeder and successful exhibitor of Lincoln sheep, and was amongst the first who imported a stud flock of this breed, which was selected for him by Mr. John Sanderson, of London, an acknowledged judge, and proved a great success, as was shown by the number of prizes taken by the descendants of this flock in different parts of the colony. From 1874 to 1884 they won £933 in silver plate, and £68o in money prizes; a total of £1613, besides three gold and twenty-six silver medals. Since then they have not been exhibited. Mr. Hood takes an interest in all local matters; he was one of the originators of the Long Woolled Association of Victoria, the shows of which were held at Hexham, and of which he was president the first four years. It and the well-known show of Merino sheep so long held at Skipton, were merged in the Australian Sheepbreeder’s Association of Australasia, and removed to Melbourne; of this society Mr. Hood has been vice-president since its start, and once president. He was many years a member of the Warrnambool shire council, and is now a member of the shire council of Mortlake. The Merrang Station (native name Merrang, the rising ground on which the home station stands), is situated five miles south-west of Hexham, on the west bank of the River Hopkins. It was first occupied by Messrs. Fane and Rogers, and then comprised what is now called the Connewarren Station, on the opposite side of the river, and most of the property of Coomete. It was afterwards divided, Mr. Fane retaining the home station and the sheep, and Mr. Rogers getting the cattle. On becoming sheriff of Melbourne, Mr. Fane sold to Mr. Adolphus Secales, three years after whose death, namely, in 1856, Merrang was sold to Mr. Robert Hood. It was then all Crown lands, and comprised an area of about 20,000 acres. It is now a freehold of 12,580 acres. We show here a view of Mr. Hood’s residence.
“Merrang” The Residence of Robert Hood, Esq., Hexham West
Hutton, John A., Penshurst, is a brother and partner of Mr. Thomas Hutton, of “Eden.” He resides on the Cheviot-hills estate, about half a mile from his brother, his house being erected on a slight rise, and commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. Connected therewith is a large woolshed, with men’s huts, and other necessary buildings for carrying on the requirements of a station. The estate is close to the township of Penshurst, at the foot of Mount Rouse, a detached volcanic hill and point of eruption, and attaining a height of 1220 feet above the level of the sea. The eruptions of this mountain in years gone by have freely scattered the district over with red sandstone, which Mr. Hutton has turned to useful account by constructing of it stone walls on the estate and round his orchard.
Hutton, Thomas, J.P., Penshurst, is a Tasmanian by birth, and a son of the late Mr. David Hutton, C.E., who landed in Tasmania in 1832 from the ship Clyde, and went thence to Portland, Victoria, in 1846, proceeding to Penshurst, which was then a bush-covered country, and a black protectorate under Dr. Walton. He took up a large tract of land, which he called the Cheviot-hills station, and carried on sheep-farming upon it until his death in 1875, when his sons, John Alexander and Thomas, came into possession, and now conduct it. The year 1851 was a hard time for settlers, the Ballarat and Fiery Creek diggings broke out, and caused an exodus of station hands, and the squatters had to cart their own wool and produce to Port Fairy; had, in fact, to do all their own work, and Mr. David Hutton and the late Mr. Matthew Gibb experienced these hardships together, driving their own wool teams. Cheviot-hills station comprises about 10,000 acres, adjoining the township at the foot of Mount Rouse (an extinct volcano), and depasturing about 20,000 sheep and cattle. The homestead, where Mr. John A. Hutton resides, is a large comfortable stone building. Mr. Thomas Hutton’s dwelling, called “Eden,” is also part of the estate, and is a spacious and comfortable house, the grounds surrounding it being tastefully laid out, and presenting a highly ornamental aspect.
Jeffreys, Robert, Casterton, was born in Liverpool, England, and came out, while a boy, about thirty-two years ago, landing at Portland, Victoria, from the Indian Ocean. In 1865 he joined the late Mr. S. M’Donald, in Casterton, as an apprentice to saddlery and harness-making, and remained with him four or five years. In 1873 he rented a shop from his father, and started at his trade on his own account in Casterton, with which he combined ironmongery. In 1876 he bought a section of land in the township and erected his present premises, which are situated in the centre of the town on a half-acre allotment. Mr. Jeffreys also owns another property of nine acres close to the town.
Lang, John, Balmoral, is a native of Somersetshire, England, who arrived in Tasmania in 1834, and came to Victoria in 1846. He was a year in Melbourne, and another year in Geelong, and was also for a short time on a station. Soon after returning to Melbourne he purchased a hotel in Branxholme in 1855, which he carried on three years. He then bought a hotel business at Braybrook, where he remained the same length of time, and in 1862 he purchased the freehold of Lang’s Hotel, formerly the Squatters’ Arms Hotel, Balmoral, where he is at present located. This well-known and old-established house was built by Mr. Davidson, and in 1851 was owned by a cousin named Mr. Simson Lang. It has passed through many hands, but the freehold has always been kept by the owner.
Liddiard, Francis, Apsley, is a native of Willunga, South Australia, and is a self-made man. He was thrown on his own resources when a boy at eleven years of age. He learnt the blacksmithing trade, and after working at it as a journeyman for nine months in Melbourne, started on his own account in Adelaide, whence he removed afterwards to Kingston, S.A., and then to Apsley, Victoria, where he is now carrying on a blacksmith’s forge and wheelwright’s shop, having three men employed, and conducting the business in all its branches. He also owns 210 acres of land.
Lillingston, D. H., Balmoral, is a native of Hobartown, Tasmania, and arrived in Victoria in 1853 with his parents, he settled in Ballarat, where his father, Mr. D. W. Lillingston, still resides. Mr. D. H. Lillingston learned the trade of a watchmaker and jeweller, and worked at it for sixteen years. He also had the management of Mr. Levinson’s business, in Bridge-street, Ballarat, for seven years. In April, 1884, he purchased the business of the Western Hotel, Balmoral, which old-established and well-known house he now conducts.
Lyon, Basil, Balmoral (deceased), was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and arrived in Victoria in 1852. He was for two years resident with his family near Coleraine, after which he went to Balmoral, and was the first postmaster of that place. He lived at his farm, Trassgumyah, until the time of his death, in 1884. With his three sons, Mr. Lyon selected 960 acres of land, and some years later his fourth son selected 320 acres additional. He was married in Scotland, where the family were born, except the youngest son. Three sons and a daughter survive the father. Mrs. Lyon is sister of Mr. John M’Conochie, of Konong Wootong Creek, Coleraine.
M’Coll, James, Balmoral (deceased), was born in Scotland, and arrived in Victoria in the early days. He was manager for a time at Hexham Park, and in 1837 bought and settled on Yatnot station, where he lived until the time of his death in 1876.
M’Coll, John Sutherland, son of the above, and the present proprietor of Yatnot, which is the place of his birth, was born in 1857, and has resided on the estate all his life, with the exception of about three years spent at the Hamilton College. The property consists of some 6700 acres of freehold and 1500 acres of leasehold. He owns 4600 sheep besides other stock.
M’Conochie, John, Coleraine, a native of Glasgow, Scotland, came to Australia in 1841. He first took up his abode on what was then called the Grange, the site of the present town of Hamilton. In 1845 he and his brother William purchased the Konong-Wootong Creek station, of 6000 acres, and Mr. William M’Conochie resided on it until his death in 1863. Mr. John M’Conochie and his family have lived there continuously since, with the exception of three years spent at Spring Vale, The brothers held other station property in the Coleraine district. The freehold of the Konong-Wootong Creek estate was obtained about 1862. Mr. John M’Conochie has been identified with the Wannon shire council for ten years, being a member for the Balmoral riding. He is a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick, and has held other minor offices of trust. He has devoted much attention to the cultivation of plants and flowers, and the beauty and variety of these render his estate one of the show places of the district.
MacDonald, Dr. Alexander, Coleraine, is a native of Lassintulloch, Perthshire, Scotland, born in 1813. He was educated in Edinburgh, where he took his degrees and a first prize for the diseases of women and children. He also holds two certificates of this colony. Dr. MacDonald practised in the Isle of Skye, and was medical adviser for the late Right Honourable Lord Macdonald and family until he left with his family for this colony in 1853. Dr. MacDonald traces his lineage back for seventeen generations to John, Lord of the Isles, who married the Princess Mary of Scotland.
Macmillan, Dr. A. R., M.B., C.M., Casterton, is son of the Rev. J. K. Macmillan, B.A., of Hamilton. He is a native of Victoria, and received his education at the Hamilton Academy, and then went to Edinburgh, Scotland, where he took his diplomas at the University. Returning to this colony in 1886, he took up his residence at Casterton, and is now engaged there in the practice of his profession.
May, Joseph, Casterton, was born in Melbourne in 1850, within 300 yards of the Post-office, the locality being then nearly all timbered. In 1861 he was apprenticed to coach-painting, and, not liking the trade, left his indentures, but was brought back by his father. He then started at coach-wheeling,and worked four years at it, after that spending many years as a journeyman, working for various employers in the trade at Kilmore, Kyneton, Creswick, Ballarat, Bendigo, Hamilton, and Merino. Amongst his employers in those days were Mr. D. White, now of Swanston-street, Melbourne; Templeton and Shannon, of Brunswick-street, Fitzroy; Geo. Pickles, of Latrobe-street, Melbourne; and Jas. Clough, of William-street, Sandhurst. About 1887 he went to Casterton, and opened a coach factory on his own account, working early and late. Mr. May’s present premises are at the east end of the township, just over the Glenelg bridge. He carries on his business as coach-builder, maker of buggies, carts, and drays, and employs from three to six hands. He owns a property of one acre close by, where his private residence is situated, and also allotment in Hoddle-street east, Collingwood.
Moodie, William, J.P., Coleraine, a native of Glasgow, Scotland, came out to Australia with his parents in 1841. They were nine years in Melbourne, and then went to Wando Dale station, which his father purchased two years afterwards, and whence, after holding it for some time, he retired to St. Kilda, where he died in 1868. Wando Dale lies sixteen miles from Coleraine, and about the same distance from Casterton, being in the shires of Wannon and Glenelg. The extent of freehold estate is 20,000 acres, and it is stocked with about 25,000 sheep, and nearly 500 head of cattle. Mr. Moodie bought the homestead in 1863. He has been a member of the shire councils of Wannon and Glenelg for about twenty-two years, and was for three years president of the former. He is also justice of the peace for the western bailiwick
National Bank of Australasia, Coleraine. The Coleraine branch of this bank has been established about seventeen years. Mr. W. W. Cobb, the present manager, is a native of London, who came to Australia in 1854. He has been identified with banking ever since 1853, and on his arrival in the colonies was first engaged at the Union Bank of Australia in Sydney, N.S.W. He was for some time manager of the Christchurch (N.Z.) branch of that bank, and seven years since joined the National Bank, and was appointed manager of the Coleraine branch about four years ago.
Niven, James, Balmoral, is a native of Scotland, who arrived in Adelaide, S.A., in 1854, and came to Victoria in 1857. The same year he settled in Balmoral, and, after being for a short time on a station, undertook various kinds of contracting. In 1872 he selected 320 acres of land on the Glenelg River, and resided on it four years, when he sold it and settled at his present location, about six miles from Balmoral. He and his family have about 1900 acres, and carry on agriculture and sheep-farming. He cultivates about 100 acres each year.
Olle, Frank Liles, Penshurst, came to Victoria while young, in 1856, with his father, and landed at Belfast. Thence he proceeded to Penshurst, and in 1857 went to the Ararat diggings, and stayed there about six months. After working in various parts of the colony for two years he returned to Penshurst, and for a time worked at his trade of carpenter and joiner. In 1870 he went into business as a butcher, grazier, and baker, renting the premises he now occupies, and where he carries on the same business. In 1885 he purchased the property, consisting of shop, bakery, and dwelling-house, standing on half an acre of ground. Mr. Olle has also a freehold of about 1000 acres near the township, which he utilises for grazing purposes. He works his business with the assistance of his four sons and a baker. Mr. F. L. Olle is a member of the Mount Rouse shire council, president of the committee of the local Mechanics’ Institute, and a member of the committee of the Presbyterian Church.
Olle, Harry John, Penshurst, a native of Bury St. Edmund’s, Suffolk, England, came to Victoria with his parents, while yet a boy, in 1857. Landing at Port Fairy, they proceeded to Penshurst, the site of the present township being then a station owned by Mr. David Hutton, and overgrown with bush, and thickly-peopled by blacks in almost a wild state. Mr. H. J. Olle went to Hamilton in 1862, and engaged there as assistant to Mr. Donald M. Cameron, storekeeper. Leaving Hamilton in 1865 he spent twelve months with his brother in Ararat and other places, and, going back to Hamilton, was with Messrs. Tinker and Beath and Mr. S. Jacoby for some years. The year 1870 saw him again in Penshurst with Mr. John Earls, storekeeper, with whom he remained for two years, and then went to Horsham in the employ of Messrs. W. and W. Thompson, storekeepers; stayed there for two years, then came back to Penshurst and Went into the employ of Mr. Earls again, with whom he remained until 1881. He then leased from Mrs. Bond his present premises in Bell-street, Penshurst, where he carries on the business of general storekeeper; his store, a large wooden building (60 feet x 30 feet) stands on half an acre of ground. Mr. Olle does a large business in the township and the surrounding district, supplying every description of general merchandise, and employs a number of persons, including a dressmaker and milliner.
Ough, Thomas Pulton, Harrow, was born in England in 1832, and came out to Adelaide, S.A., in 1840. He learned the trade of bricklayer and plasterer with his father, and after leaving him proceeded to Harrow, Victoria, twenty-seven years ago. He worked at his trade in the district for six years, and then selected 320 acres of land, which he has since farmed. He also owns town property in Harrow, and has now 640 acres of land. While resident in Adelaide he went to the diggings three times, and did fairly well.
Peachey, John S. W., Casterton, came out to Victoria from his native place, London, by the ship Oithonia in 1853, landing at Portland. He first procecded to Messrs. Whittaker Bros.’ station (Longlands), on the Upper Gleneig, where he worked at his trade of carpenter for some time, in 1854 went to Casterton, and worked at his trade there for three years, and in 1857 rented a township section from Mr. Donald Cameron, of Oakbank, on which he erected a shop, on the site of Messrs. Cussen and Ingpen’s present premises, and started business as general storekeeper. At the expiry of his lease he purchased a section further up the street, and on the opposite side of the way, and built thereon his present large store, with dwelling at rear, standing on half an acre of ground. Mr. Peachey’s business is in general goods, grain, and wool, of which latter he sends down a quantity of bales annually to the Melbourne and other markets. He is also an undertaker. He has put down a large weighbridge in front of his store for the convenience of carriers.
Peden, James, Casterton, came out to Victoria from Ireland in 1854, and started farming, but not liking the occupation, he, in 1856, went to the Mount Mount Blackwood and Sandhurst diggings, and remained there until 1861, when he proceeded to Casterton, and worked on a sheep station for a while. He next went to New Zealand, and again took to prospecting for gold at Miller’s Flat diggings, Otago, but this proving unprofitable, he worked for government and private persons until, in 1863, he returned to Victoria, and was again employed on a station until 1864, when, being disabled by a fall from his horse, he purchased a section of land in Casterton, and erected a shop and dwelling thereon at a corner in Henty-street, where he commenced store-keeping, which he still carries on in spacious premises.
Peel, Thomas Henry, J.P., Harrow, is a native of London,who arrived in Tasmania with his parents in 1822, being then but two years of age. At the age of thirteen he went to sea, and in 1840 came to Melbourne, going some time afterwards to Portland, and the same year removing to the Wannon, where he was one of the first settlers. He was engaged in various avocations, and managed a store in Harrow for a time, after which he kept the Harrow Hotel ten years, and now carries on the business of butcher and baker. Mr. Peel has been a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick over three years, a member of the Kowree shire council four years, and has occupied the presidential chair one year. At the time he came to the colony the population numbered only 5000 persons.
Pretlove, Charles, Sandford, is a native of Victoria, who commenced business life in 1875 as a horse and cattle dealer and drover, and carried on that occupation until the beginning of 1887, when he went to Sandford, and purchased the business of Messrs. Summerville Bros., butchers, an old-established one of about sixteen years’ standing. The shop is a large one in the centre of the town, and Mr. Pretlove enjoys the leading business. He also owns from 200 to 300 acres of land near Apsley, which he uses for grazing purposes.
Price, Richard, senior, Myamyn, is a native of Oxfordshire, England, and was for some time a member of the metropolitan police force. He came to Victoria in 1854, landing in Portland, with a wife, eight children, and no money. He was first engaged on a farm, where he remained about twelve months, and was afterwards employed in various capacities. He commenced in the sawmill business at Myamyn in 1867, and that branch is now carried on by his sons. In 1878 he established a timber and iron business in Hamilton, from which he has retired, having leased it to Mr. T. T. Aitken.
Robinson and Gillespie, Casterton. This firm of general storekeepers consists of Messrs. Robert Grant Robinson and Samuel Gillespie, the latter of whom is a native of the north of Ireland, who came to Melbourne in 1867, and spent some years prospecting at various diggings, after which he took a trip home, and returning in 1875, started as general storekeeper at Camperdown, where he remained until 1884, when he sold his business, and removed to Casterton. There, in partnership with Mr. Robinson, he purchased the business and premises of Messrs. Sprigg Bros. Mr. Robinson is a native of Victoria, born in 1845. He commenced business life as commercial traveller for Messrs. Banks and Co., of Flinders-lane, Melbourne, and followed that calling until 1884, when he joined Mr. Gillespie at Casterton. The premises are situated in Henty-street, and comprise a large brick store and dwelling-house, standing on an acre of ground. The firm does one of the largest businesses in the district in groceries, drapery, ironmongery, timber, &c.
Robertson, Duncan, Balmoral (deceased), was born in Invernessshire, Scotland, and left his home the day on which Queen Victoria was crowned, arriving in Australia in 1838. After being about five years in New South Wales he came to Victoria, and settled at Struan, near Harrow, for five years. He then, in conjunction with Mr. Alexander Davidson, purchased Satimer station, and lived there twelve years. In 1861 he purchased Gringegalgona, where he built a handsome residence, and lived there until the time of his death, in November, 1882. The estate consists of 27,000 acres. Mr. Robertson left a family of two sons and two daughters.
Robertson, William, son of the above, was born in New South Wales, and arrived in Victoria in 1843, passing through Hamilton on the day the first hotel there received a license. He resided with his father at Gringegalgona until that gentleman died, when he and his brother John entered into possession of the estate, and he (Mr. W. Robertson) became sole possessor about a year later. He owns from 25,000 to 26,000 sheep, and a number of cattle and horses.
Robertson, James, is a native of Glenmyck, near Ballater, Scotland. He arrived in Australia in 1840. He purchased the Kongbool station and other properties in 1873.
Robertson, Thomas, Balmoral, is the resident manager and part owner with his three brothers of the Kongbool station, which was, with other properties, formerly owned by his father, Mr. James Robertson, of Mount Mitchell. It has an area of 28,000 acres, and runs about 26,000 sheep. The brothers Robertson are all natives of this colony.
Rogers, William, sen., Balmoral (deceased), was a native of England, came to Australia many years ago by the ship Priam, and landed at Portland. He learned the trade of blacksmith in England, and followed that occupation in Victoria. He was for two years at Muntham, after which he removed to Balmoral, and resided there until the time of his death, 24th November, 1883.
Rogers, William, jun., son of the above-named gentleman, was born in Balmoral, and has resided there all his life. He learned the trade of black smith with his father, at whose death he took over the business. Mr. Rogers owns in freehold his business premises, the Western Hotel, three cottages, and about 100 acres of land.
Seymour, Robert, Balmoral, is a native of Ireland, who arrived in Australia with his parents in 1839. His father, the late Mr. Henry Seymour, settled near Adelaide, S.A., remaining there several years, after which he removed to Mosquito Plains, near Narracoorte, where he resided until the time of his death. Mr. R. Seymour lived with his father until he was about twenty years of age, and was then in West Australia two years. After that he resided at his father’s homestead a short time, and then at Spring Hill, where he remained twelve years. In 1882 he took the management of the Glendinning station, near Balmoral, and still holds the position. The station belongs to Messrs. Grice, Sumner and Co. Mr. Seymour’s family still retain possession of the Kilanoola, on the Bool lagoon, Mosquito Plains, S.A.
Simpson, Archibald J., Penshurst, is a native of Victoria, born at The Leigh in 1859, and educated in Melbourne. Leaving school, he was for five years on Warrambeen station. After taking a trip to Europe he went to New South Wales, where he was for four years overseer on a station. About two years since he was appointed manager of Mount Napier station, near Hamilton, which position he now holds.
St. Andrew’s Church (Presbyterian), Penshurst. Present clergyman, the Rev. J. R. Anderson, M.A. Penshurst, from its formation, was visited by ministers from neighbouring towns until 1863, when the Rev. Robert Fawkner settled there, and at once organised a movement for the erection of a church, which object, with the help of the leading settlers in the district, he succeeded in accomplishing in 1865, the foundation-stone being laid by Mrs. Ritchie, wife of the late Dr. Ritchie, a neighbouring squatter. The Rev. R. Fawkner conducted services there until 1869, when the Rev. Mr. Allsworth received a call, and took charge of the district until 1876, in which year he departed for New Zealand, giving place to the Rev. Andrew Chambers, who remained there until 1876. The present pastor, the Rev. J. Ringland Anderson, M.A., is a native of Armagh, Ireland, and was educated at Belfast and Galway, took the degree of MA. at Queen’s University, Dublin, and came to Australia in 1880, spending one year in study at the Ormond College, Melbourne. He went to Penshurst in 1882, conducting services there, and at Caramut and Bald Hill, his congregation numbering about 200 members. He is president of the Penshurst Band of Hope and vice-president of the Mechanics’ Institute committee, and treasurer of the local Rechabite Tent. St. Andrew’s Church is a stone edifice located in the centre of the township.
Trainor, William, Coleraine, is an American, born in the State of New York. He came to Australia during the gold rush as a juvenile circus rider, and was a noted jockey in the early days, and is now looked upon as a magnificent horseman. Mr. Trainor was several years with the late Mr. Adam Lindsay Gordon, the celebrated steeplechase rider and poet, and first went to the Grange (Hamilton) in 1857. About 1870 he purchased the well-known Wannon Inn, the ownership of which he still retains, and, some years later, he leased and took possession of the Koroit Hotel, where he now carries on business.
Trangmar, James William, J.P., Coleraine, is a native of Portland, Victoria, and son of Mr. James Trangmar, an Englishman, born in Sussex, who was one of the very early settlers in that district. Mr. J. W. Trangmar went to Coleraine in 1867 to join his uncle in the business of general merchant. The business was originally established by Mr. Bowen, who, in 1852, sold out to Mr. George Trangmar, whom Mr. J. W. Trangmar succeeded in 1875. Mr. Trangmar is a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick, and takes a lively interest in all that pertains to the advancement of the district. It may be stated that when Mr. Trangmar took up the business he had but one assistant, whereas he now employs twelve hands.
Tulloh, C. R., Harrow, is a native of Scotland, who came to Australia in 1846, and settled as a squatter on the Wannon river, remaining there about ten years. He then removed to Harrow, and, in conjunction with his brother, bought the business of general storekeeper, which he has con ducted ever since, his brother having retired about 1865. Mr. Tulloh carries on a business in everything pertaining to a general store, and has done a gradually increasing trade since his commencement.
Turnbull, Adam, jun., J.P., Coleraine, a native of Tasmania, came to Victoria in 1845. Three extensive stations in the Coleraine district, known as Mount Koroit, Winninburn, and Dundas, and having a total area of 47,000 acres, were taken up jointly by Mr. Turnbull’s father, Dr. Adam Turnbull, senior, and Mr. William Young, both of Tasmania. Mr. Turnbull, junior, was first located in this colony at Mount Koroit, afterwards became part owner of the same, with his father, and lived on it until 1858, when the partnership between Turnbull and Young was dissolved, and the property divided, Winninburn falling to the Turnbulls, father and son, who continue to occupy it. Winninburn contains 10,500 acres, and is stocked with 22,000 sheep and 700 head of cattle. Mr. Turnbull, junior, has been a member of Wannon shire council since its formation in 1872, and has been twelve years its president. He has been a justice of the peace since 1861, and is chairman of the bench of magistrates. He is also president of the Pastoral and Agricultural Society, and chairman of the western group of the Municipal Association of Victoria.
Victoria, Bank of, Coleraine. The Coleraine branch of the Bank of Victoria was established in January 1873, its manager at that time being Mr. H. Chambers. He was followed by Mr. Wilkinson, who occupied the position from 1881 to 1886, when Mr. C. G. Gardiner was appointed manager. That gentleman has been identified with the Bank of Victoria for thirteen years. He entered the service as junior clerk in Maryborough, and remained there eight years, when he accepted the agency at Queenscliff, going thence as manager of the Fryerstown branch, and afterwards of the branch at Penshurst, where he remained until he was transferred to Coleraine. The bank is a very handsome edifice, built in 1875.
Ware, Joseph, of Minjali Station (pictured below), near Caramut, county Villiers, is one of the earliest pioneer settlers of Victoria. He was born in London in 1820, and arrived with his parents at Hobart, Tasmania, by the ship Lusitania, Captain Langdon, in 1823. In 1838 he came to Victoria with his elder brother George, landing with stock at Williamstown on 29th April. They first took up a run at the Native Creek run, near Geelong, which had been vacated by the brothers Learmonth. After remaining there for some time, Mr. George Vare disposed of the run, and started out west on his own and brother’s behalf, taking up the run known as Woowyrite, now the property of Mr. Thomas Shaw; at the same time they took up the Cloven Hill run, which is now known as Koort-Koort-Nong. In the year 1846 the brothers Ware purchased the grazing rights of the station known as Hamilton’s run, now called “Minjah,” and a short time afterwards acquired the Muston’s Creek runs Nos. 1 and 2, now named “Barwidgee.” Both Minjah and Barwidgee stations are still in the possession of Mr. Joseph Ware, while Koort-Koort-Nong is owned by his nephews — Jerry George and John Ware — the sons of George Ware, who lost his life while travelling from Koort-Koort-Nong to Yalla-Y-Poora, a station belonging to a younger brother, John Ware. In 1850 Mr. Joseph Ware married Miss Jennings, by whom he has a family of eight children — two sons and six daughters. In May, 1886, he paid a lengthened visit to Europe, returning to the colony in December, 1887.
Minjah” The Residence of Joseph Ware, Esq., J.P., Near Caramut
Wilkinson, W. Tomline, Casterton, is son of Mr. Frederick Wilkinson, late Master-in-Equity of Victoria, and is a native of the colony. He was admitted in June, 1876, and commenced the practice of his profession as solicitor in 1877 at Casterton, in an office in Henty-street, opposite the court-house, where he carried on business until March, 1887, when he re moved to rooms in the Mechanics’ Institute, in the same street. Mr. Wilkinson is solicitor for the Glenelg shire council, and is a commissioner for taking affidavits.
Williams, William, Casterton, was born at Swansea, South Wales, and landed in Adelaide, S.A., in 1851, when he served an apprenticeship of five years to Mr. Charles Dutch, who was at that time employed in erecting a number of flour mills for Mr. John Dunn (now M.L.C.). In 1856 he went to work for Mr. J. G. Ramsay, agricultural implement maker, of Adelaide — chiefly strippers and double-furrow ploughs. In 1862 Mr. Williams went to Mount Gambier, and, starting there on his own account, remained twelve years, and, in 1874, removed to Casterton, purchased land, and erected his present foundry and works, where he manufactures all kinds of farm implements, strippers and double-furrow ploughs being a specialty, and he being one of the first, if not the first, maker of the latter in Victoria. Mr. Williams contemplates establishing a factory in Melbourne, as his specialty in double-furrow ploughs is becoming widely and favorably known.
Young, George, Coleraine, is a native of Scotland, who came out to Tasmania with his family when a child. In 1850 he came to Victoria and settled on a station called Mount Koroit, belonging to his father, the late Mr. William Young, and Dr. Adam Turnbull, both of Tasmania, and owners of two other stations in Victoria as well, named Winninburn and Dundas, all three being near Coleraine. On the dissolution of the partnership, Mount Koroit fell to the share of Mr. W. Young, senior, and on his death descended to the three brothers, Thomas, William, and George young. At the death of William it became the property of the two remaining brothers and was sold in 1873 £40,000.