As published in Victoria and Its Metropolis, Past and Present – Vol II. – The Colony and It’s People in 1888; Published by McCarron, Bird, & Co., Melbourne.
Aberline, Adam, Wangoom, is a native of this colony, born in Warrnambool, where he has since resided on the estate bought by his father many years ago, near Wangoom. As showing the scarcity of the ordinary requirements of civilisation in the early days, it is a humourous tradition in the family that Mr. Aberline’s mother (who is still alive) owned the first chair in the district.
Adams, John, Purnim, is a native of the county Antrim, Ireland, who came out to Melbourne byt he ship Frankfield on 11th June, 1841. In 1851 he went to the goldfields at Bendigo, and remained there two years. After that he purchased at the land sale, Warrnambool, his present estate, Bushyfield, of 316 acres, near Wangoom, occupied it in 1853, and has been engaged in farming and dairying there since.
Adams, John W., Wangoom, is a native of that township, who took up his present place about three years since, and is now engaged on it in general and dairy farming, going largely into and making a special feature of the manufacture of cheese.
Barber, George Page, Wangoom, born in Norfolk, England, landed at Melbourne in August, 1860, from the ship Suffolk. He first went to the Wimmera, and managed a station belonging to the Wilson Bros. (now Sir Samuel Wilson) for seven years. He then purchased a station in Queensland, on which he remained two years, and in 1872 took up his present place, Staywood Park, on which he has since been engaged in farming and grazing. He has visited England twice since he first came out to Australia, namely, in 1867, and again with his wife and family in 1881.
Baxter, William, Garvoc, was born in Victoria, near Geelong. In 1863 he started as a carrier, and in 1865 selected 118 acres of land in the parish of Terang, and has since selected about 1000 acres in this district, on which he carries on grazing. He was married in 1863, and has a family of four sons and two daughters.
Beattie, John Wilson, Panmure, is a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, who came out to Melbourne in 1853, and, after a few months, went to the Castlemaine and Sandhurst diggings, remaining there through the winter of 1854. He then went to Simpson’s rush, and back to Forest Creek, where he stayed three years, and then went to teh Ovens district gold-mining. He commenced school teaching in 1864 at Sandy Creek, where he was also postmaster and mining registrar; and in 1867 took charge of the State-school at Osborne’s Flat. In 1870 he went to Gippsland as head teacher of the State-school, Rosedale, and in 1884 was transferred to the Panmure State-school, No. 1079, fourth-class, having an average attendance of ninety pupils.
Bentley, James, Wangoom, a native of Yorkshire, England, came out to this colony in 1852, and landing in Geelong, proceeded to Melbourne. Afterwards he went to Warrnambool, and purchased his present place, to which he has given the name of Stonefield, at Wangoom, and settled down thereon. Mr. Samuel Bently is son of the above-named gentleman.
Best, Frederick, Winslow, a native of London, came out to Portland, Victoria, in 1852, and remained there a short time. He then went to Warrnambool, where he served his apprenticeship of five years to the tanning trade, after which he travelled through the Australian colonies and New Zealand, working at his trade. He established his present business at the Winslow tannery in September, 1872, then doing about ten hides, and now about 130 hides, weekly. Mr. Best tans and dresses all kinds of leather, and does his tan grinding and pumping by steam.
Bromfield, James Astley, fourth son of John Davenport Bromfield, born at Pershore, Worcestershire, England, 1823, arrived in Victoria 1852; occupation, that of a chemist until 1853. Held a seat in the shire council of Warrnambool for nine years, six of which as its president, and a seat in the borough council for a similar period, during which time, as its chairman, he turned the first sod in the Merri River deviation cutting—an extensive Government work. Held the office of justice of the peace, trustee of the Savings Bank, chairman of Western Steam Navigation Company, director of the gasworks, a member of the harbour committee, railway committee, and other public appointments. Mr. Bromfield is also occupied as a grazier and breeder of horses, having bred the celebrated steeple chasers Lone Hand and Lady Ashton, and other winners on the turf.
Cassidy, William, Yangery, was born on the banks of the Merri River, near Warrnambool, and has been identified with the district all his life. He has been a member of the shire council, and is a member of the local agricultural society.
Clancy, Michael, Dennington, is a native of the county Clare, Ireland, who came out to Sydney, N.S.W., in July, 1854. He went to Ballarat in December of that year, and remained there until the Blackwood diggings broke out, when he proceeded there, and afterwards removed to the Warrnambool district, and rented a farm on the Farnham Estate. In 1867 he purchased land at Kangaroo Flat, and was engaged in farming pursuits for a number of years on it. He then sold out and went to Warrnambool, where he built a house and resided six months. In 1874 he selected land near Wimmera, and was on it eleven years, and, in 1885, built the Plough and Harrow Hotel, Dennington, the business of which he still conducts.
Clark, James, Panmure, is a native of Launceston, Tasmania, who came to this colony as far back as the year 1833, and first settled at Port Fairy and Portland, where he was engaged in whaling, from which avocation he retired fourteen years since. He purchased land at Panmure, and a short time since built a residence on it, which he named Whalers’ Cottage, and now resides there.
Clarke, W. H., Garvoc, was born in Essex, England, and arrived in Australia in 1853. He spent two or three years on the goldfields, and then commenced farming at Smeaton, near Creswick, remaining there about seven years. In 1865 he selected land in the parish of Keilambete, where he has since carried on the business of grazier and dairy farmer. The district is noted for cheese-making, that being one of its principal industries. The first school in the locality was established in 1868.
Davidson, John (deceased), Woodford, was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, and arrived in Australia 29th August, 1841. He built the Squatters’ Arms Hotel at Balmoral, and established the township in 1845, and kept the hotel for four years. In 1848 he purchased the Rosebank farm, near Woodford, and also purchased a store in Warrnambool, which he kept until 1851, when he went to the goldfields and in five months returned, with £500, to Warrnambool, and in 1852 went again to the diggings. He was married in 1854, and settled on the Rosebank farm. In January, 1857, he was elected a member of the Warrnambool District Council, and was a justice of the peace for the Western bailiwick up to the time of his death, which occurred 7th January, 1887. Mrs. Davidson is a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, who came to Victoria in 1845.
Doy, Mrs. Elizabeth, Garvoc, was born in Staffordshire, England, and arrived in Australia in January, 1853. Her late husband, Mr. William Doy, was born in Norfolk, England, and came to Victoria in 1848. After working some time for Mr. Thomas Bostock he rented a farm near Warrnambool from Mt. Thomas Manifold, and carried on farming pursuits there for fourteen years, when he removed to Allansford, and was farming there one year. In 1865 he selected 204 acres of land in the parish of Keilambete, where he was engaged in grazing and dairy farming until his death in 1884. Mrs. Doy, his widow, now resides on the property, and carries on the business. She has also 330 acres of land in the parish of Garvoc.
Eldridge, Henry, Garvoc, was born in England, and came from Kingston, Surrey, to Australia in 1857, landing at Warrnambool, and remaining in the district about two years. He then removed to Terang, where he resided until 1870, when he selected land in the parish of Garvoc, on which he has since conducted the joint occupations of carrier, grazier, and dairy farmer. He was married, in 1857, in the Church of England, Warrnambool, the officiating clergyman being the Rev. Archdeacon Beamish, his being the first marriage celebrated in that edifice.
Farrer, John, Woodford, came out to Victoria at an early age, landing first at Portland, and transhipping thence to Belfast. He established himself as a blacksmith, wheelwright and undertaker thirty-two years ago, and has now two places of business — one in Raglan-parade, Warrnambool, and one in Woodford, six miles distant. For workmanship on waggons and drays he has taken first prizes at the Koroit and Warrnainbool agricultural shows.
Gazzard, F. W., Allansford, was born at Bath, England, and arrived in Melbourne from America in March, 1852, going first to the goldfields. After a long sojourn at Sandhurst and Avoca, engaged in goldmining, he went to Ararat and started the Mount Ararat meat preserving works; thence to Warrnambool in 1875, and established his present business of bacon-curing for which he has gained a reputation, at Tooram, Allansford, and has received special appointment as “ham and bacon curer” to His Excellency Sir H. B. Loch, K.C.B.
Glasgow, John, Purnim, is a native of the county Antrim, Ireland. His father, Mr. Robert Glasgow, and family came to Melbourne by the ship Bride in 1853, and at the beginning of 1854 went to the Warrnambool district. Two years afterwards he settled on the present property, Blackwood Hill, near Wangoom, where he is engaged in grazing and general and dairy farming. In cheese-making he has been very successful, taking the first prize at the Grand National Exhibition at Melbourne, and the diploma of merit at the Indian and Colonial Exhibition in London, 1886. Mr. John Glasgow was a member of the Warrnambool Shire Council, south riding, for six years, from 1880 to 1886, and, during the last year, was president.
Glowrey, James, Garvoc, was born in Dublin, Ireland, and arrived in Sydney, N.S.W., in 1850 after which he came to Victoria, and followed the avocation of gold-digger at Bendigo for two years. He next went to Melbourne, and thence to Warrnambool, where he assisted in the erection of the first sawmill in that district, and engaged in digging at Pettingil for four years. In 1858 he removed to Mortlake, purchased land, and remained seven years, after which he selected, and also purchased laud in the township of Garvoc, where he now resides. Mr. Glowrey erected a store, hotel, butcher’s shop, and a Roman Catholic chapel and school in the township. The latter was built in 1858, having been for two years previous conducted in his private dwelling; divine service also being held there by the Rev. Father Slattery. In 1868 a blacksmith, carpenter, and shoemaker started in Garvoc. Mr. Glowrey is intimately identified with the rise and progress of the township, and owns the principal buildings in it. He was postmaster for several years.
Good, John, Grasmere, is a native of the county Cork, Ireland, who came to Melbourne by the ship William Metcalfe, in 1841, and, after staying there a few months, went to Grasmere in 1842, first taking up his present place, Injemira, in 1843, and afterwards purchasing it. During the gold fever he went to Ballarat diggings for a few months. In 1857 he was a member of the local shire council, and in 1859 paid a visit to Great Britain, returning in 1861, and has been connected with the district ever since.
Grimshaw Bros., Bushfield. The business of this firm is carried on by the sons of John Grimshaw, who came out to Melbourne in 1834, and who travelled all over the Western District, to which he came in 1836, being one of the pioneers of the locality. The butchering business which is now extensively carried on by the Grimshaw Brothers at Bushfield, in the Warrnambool district, was only established about three years ago.
Harris, Samuel, Framlingham, was born in Devonshire, England, and arrived in South Australia about 1846, coming to Victoria in March, 1852. He first engaged in carrying to the different goldfields, and continued at that occupation thirteen years. In 1865 he selected land in the parish of Keilambete, near Framlingham, where he has ever since resided, and where he conducts his business of grazier.
Hill, William, Framlingham, was born in the county Armagh, Ireland, and arrived in Australia in 1856, going to Caramut, residing there for twenty-eight years, and buying land in that parish. He carried on grazing there for twelve years, then sold the property, and removed to Woodford, where he was farming two years. In 1885 he purchased property in the parish of Keilambete, where he now resides. He was married in 1862, and has a family of six sons and a daughter.
Hamilton, James, Dennington, is a native of Kirkstall, in the Western District of Victoria, who went at an early age on the Rutledge Survey. He has been on the Farnharn Estate, Dennington, the property of Mr. W. R. Rutledge, for the last nine years, and was recently appointed manager of the property.
Jenkins, Allan, Grasmere, is a native of Dunoon, Argyleshire, Scotland, who came out to this colony 28th June, 1838, by the ship Registhan, from London. He landed in South Australia, and came to Melbourne 9th March of the following year. He first went to the Upper Werribee with Campbell, of Otter, and Dr. Wilson. In March, 1840, he purchased a whaleboat with Donald Mackellar, and an allotment of land at Williams-town, whereon he built a house of two rooms with a brick chimney. In 1842 he was engaged in lime-burning at the Heads, but, not being successful at that, he started stock-riding at £25 a-year at Drysdale, and continued at it until 1847. Started spaying cattle with success till September, 1851, when he went to Fryers Creek, and, after remaining there thirteen weeks, took to farming at Woodford. Eventually he went to Grasmere in 1854, and settled down on his present homestead of Roseneath, where he carries on grazing and farming.
Jenkins, Jenkin, Grasmere, is a native of Swansea, South Wales, who came out to Australia in the ship Gratitude in 1849, landing in Adelaide, S.A. Three weeks later, however, he came on to Melbourne, where he remained working for some months. In January, 1850, he went to his present place, Vrowen, where he has since then been engaged in farming and grazing.
Jones, John, Grasmere, was born in Armagh, Ireland, and landed at Melbourne in the early part of 1842. He resided in various places between Emerald Hill and Dandenong for eight years, and then went to Spring Creek in the Western District. In 1852 he proceeded to the gold diggings at Forest Creek and the Loddon, staying a few months on each. He was on the Avoca for two seasons, and after that at Beaufort in its early days. Mr. Jones has been connected with the Western District since 1851, and took an active part in the formation of the Villiers and Heytesbury Agricultural Association, serving also on its committee. He now resides on his farm at Grasmere.
Kavanagh, John, Purnim, a native of Queen’s County, Ireland, landed in Sydney, N.S.W., in 1840, from the ship Sir Charles Napier, and in August of that year came to Port Phillip with his wife and family. He was first engaged farming with his brother at Moonee Ponds for three years, and then removed to Port Fairy, and took to dairy-farming, which he conducted successfully for three years. In 1851 he went to the Ballarat diggings, and afterwards to Mount Alexander (Castlemaine), and did well, returning to Port Fairy the same year, and again taking to farming. In April, 1852, he visited Eaglehawk for a time, but again resumed dairying. In 1857 he removed to Dairy Hill, six miles front Belfast, and, in 1861, took up land at Purnim, where he built the Bush Inn, and has conducted it ever since.
Lee, John, Wangoom, was born in Tipperary, Ireland, and landed at Portland front the Runnymeade in 1852, and proceeded to Port Fairy (Belfast), where he remained a year. In 1853 he went to Warrnambool, and commenced farming near Russell’s Creek, residing there four years, and then going to St. Mary’s, Wangoom, where he took up his present property of 1000 acres, on which he is engaged dairy-farming. He milks about 140 cows. Mr. Lee has been a member of the Warrnambool Council for over twelve years, and holds Her Majesty’s commission of the peace for the Western District.
Lindsay, William, Woolsthorpe, is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, who landed at Queen’s Wharf, Melbourne, in 1842, where he remained two years, and, after being located on the Murray River a little while, proceeded to Woolsthorpe in 1844, where, at the Quamby station, he engaged in grazing, which he still carries on.
Mahood, James, Purniin, born in the North of Ireland, came out to this colony in 1863, landing at Melbourne. He first went to Warrnambool, and worked at his trade of saddler there for three years, when he removed to Jerilderie, N.S.W., where he followed his trade for nearly eighteen years. In 1884 he purchased his present place, Blackwood Park, near Wangoom, settled down, and has been ever since engaged in farming and grazing on it.
M’Donald, John R., Framlingham, was born in Inverness, Scotland, and arrived in Australia, landing with his parents in Sydney, N.S.W., in 1839. His father, the late Ewen M’Donald, was an early pioneer of Victoria, and followed various pursuits until the outbreak of the diggings in 1851, when he went to Forest Creek (Chewton), and died there in 1853. In 1867 Mr. John R. M’Donald selected land in the parish of Keilambete, near Framlingham, where he has since resided, carrying on the avocation of grazier.
M’Phail, Donald, Grasmere, is a native of Argyleshire, Scotland. He came out to this colony in 1854, landing at Portland, whence he went straight to Belfast, and remained there until 1866. He then took up his present place, Glen Avon, and has been engaged farming and grazing on it since that time.
Miller, Frederick, Yangery, was born at Tower Hill, in the Western District of Victoria, and after devoting himself to farming at that place for a number of years, he, about sixteen years since, took up his residence at Pleasant Bank, the name of his estate at Yangery. Mr. Miller has long been connected with the local agricultural association.
Miller, Isaac William, Allansford, is a native of Tower Hill, Victoria. In 1861 his family removed to the Merri River, and remained there twenty-four years, and in 1885 he leased his present place, Meadow Bank, where he carries on general and dairy farming.
Morgan, Charles, Allansford, is a native of this colony, born at Allansford, where he learned his trade of blacksmith fifteen years ago. He established his present business of general blacksmith and agricultural implement-maker in Allansford two years since. Mr. Morgan has taken a considerable number of first and second prizes for his work.
Munro, John, Framlingham, was born in Scotland, and came to Australia in 1864, landing at Williamstown. He resided for some time in Warrnambool, and afterwards in Purnim and Woodford, and in 1874 went to Framlingham, and purchased the general store he now keeps from Mr. B. Lee, whose predecessor was Mr. William Mitchell, who opened it in 1866.
Murnane, William, Panmure, is a native of Victoria, born in Warrnambool. He was bullock-driving for about fourteen years, went to Panmure and lived there and in the neighbourhood fourteen years, and about two years since took up his present place, where he now follows the avocation of a farmer.
Murphy, John, Panmure, is a native of the Port Fairy district. His father, the late Mr. Edward Murphy, was one of the pioneers of Victoria, who, after living in Melbourne for a time, went to Belfast, and carried on a boot and shoe business there, afterwards proceeding to the Ballarat goldfields, and conducting a general store on those diggings until his death. In 1865 his widow selected land, and was farming for about five years, when she sold the property, and went to the parish of Garvoc, selecting 374 acres at what was then known as Pine Ridge. In 1873 Mr. John Murphy purchased the property, and now resides on it, carrying on the business of a grazier and dairy and cheese farmer. The latter branch of the business he has gone into extensively, and works it out on the latest improved system.
Napthine, Mrs. Jane, Garvoc, was born in Ireland, and arrived in Australia in 1859. Her late husband, Mr. Benjamin Napthine, was a native of Suffolk, England, who arrived in Australia in 1852, and followed the gold-digging pursuit for about fifteen months, when he went to Warrnambool, where he built the first draper’s shop in the township. He next went to Wangoom, where he was engaged in farming for about two years; after which he removed to Terang, and, purchasing the Terang Hotel, conducted it for four years. In 1865 he selected 600 acres of land in the parish of Keilambete, remaining there until his death, in January, 1887, prior to which he had also purchased 1400 acres additional, making in all 2000 acres in one block. He married in 1860, and left a widow (who continues to carry on the business of grazier and dairy farmer) and a family of four sons and four daughters.
Nichol, Gilbert and Robert, Grasmere, are natives of this colony, born in Geelong. Their father came from Aberdeen, Scotland, and took up the present place, Rosehill, over thirty years ago. He was connected with the then road board for the district. The farm was taken over by the brothers Nichol some six years ago, and they reside on it and carry on grazing and farming. The property has an acreage of over 560 acres.
Nicol, Gideon, Panmure, a native of Scotland, came to Melbourne in January, 1859, and proceeded to Warrnambool. In 1865 he selected the land in the parish of Garvoc, where he now resides, and on which, from its being so heavily timbered, he spent over £14 an acre for clearing. In 1879 he was elected a member of the Warrnambool shire council, and filled that office for three years, when he resigned. He married in 1866, and has a family of three sons and five daughters.
Nicol, Captain James, Panmure, was born on the banks of the Don, Old Aberdeen, Scotland, and followed seafaring from 1858 until 1881. His first visit to Australia was as chief officer of the ship Pleiades, from Hong Kong, when he remained in Victoria six months, after which he spent two years in running between England and America. He then joined the Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Company for five years, his first expedition being on a section of the Australian telegraph cable. He also assisted in laying the cable to the West India islands. In 1881 he retired from the sea, and remained three years in Europe, after which he came to Australia, settled near Panmure, and carries on the occupation of grazier.
O’Brien, John, Panmure, is a native of North America, who came out to this colony in 1863, landing at Melbourne, and proceeded to the Ballarat, Jim Crow ranges, and Daylesford diggings. In 1865 he took to coach-driving, being one of the first to drive a coach through between Melbourne and Sale. At this he continued about a year, then followed the same pursuit for seven or eight years between Geelong and Colac, for four or five years between Colac and Panmure, and for about six years between Panmure and Belfast. In 1883 he took the Commercial Hotel, Panmure, which he now conducts in connection with the coaching and booking office.
O’Keefe, Arthur, Wangoom, is a native of county Clare, Ireland, who came to Melbourne per Commodore Perry, 4th December, 1861, and was first two years farming in the Green Hills district. He then went to Belfast, and has been connected with the district for over twenty-three years. In 1872 he took Lake View farm, his present place, on which he has been farming and grazing ever since. Mr. O’Keefe has also properties at Garvoc and Kolora.
O’Shea, John, Wangoom, a native of Cork, in Ireland, came to Melbourne by the Albion in 1857. He remained three months, and then went to the Bendigo diggings for three years, when he proceeded to Mortlake, and worked a farm for ten or eleven years. In 1871 he went to Framlinghan, and to Purnim in 1874, staying there until about three years since, when he occupied his present place at Lake Wangoorn as a farmer and glazier. Mr. O’Shea is largely identified with horse-racing, having prominent connection with the well-known Western District horse Simpleton, and the hurdle racer Break o’Day.
Page, Edward A., Garvoc, was born in Norwich, Norfolk, England, and arrived in Melbourne in 1866, going thence to New South Vales, and remaining there eleven years, when he went back to England, and spent a year there. He then returned to Victoria and settled at West Framlingham. After a stay of four years he purchased the Spring Bank farm in the parish of Terang, near Garvoc; the following year, 1881, went to reside on it, and has remained there since, carrying on the business of a grazier. He married in 1881, and has a family of three children.
Page, John H., Garvoc, was born in Norwich, England, in 1850, and arrived in Melbourne in 1873. He proceeded at once to the Western District, and, after living there fifteen months, removed to the Wimmera District, where he resided for two-and-a-half years. He next removed to Riverina, N.S.W., and spent a similar length of time in that locality. About 1879 he returned to the Western District, and based a farm at West Framlingham, carrying on business as a grazier for four years, and finally, in 1884, purchased his present homestead near Garvoc where he is engaged in the same avocation.
Parkinson, Louis, Mailor’s Flat, is a native of Hawkstone, Cambridgeshire, England, who came out to this colony by the ship Ellen, and landed at Portland, 14th November, 1852. He was engaged for a short time in engine-driving, and afterwards for four years in carrying on the roads. He next, in 1863, took to driving a threshing-machine on his own account and the first travelling chaff-cutting machine on the roads of Victoria. In 1869 he commenced hotel-keeping at the Foresters’ Arms Hotel, in the Warrnambool district, and two years ago removed to his present one, the Mailor’s Flat Hotel.
Phillips, Henry, Purnim, a native of Somersetshire, England, came out to Victoria in 1842, landing at Melbourne. He removed to the Geelong district, where he remained seven years, afterwards purchasing his present station, Bryan O’Lynn, at Purnum, in 1867. Bryan O’Lynn is a well-known stud station, and has one of the largest blood studs in Australia. Mr. Phillips has been specially fortunate in breeding winners, amongst which he numbers Commotion, Adelaide, Bryan O’Lynn, Panic, and others. The station contains about 1000 acres, twenty-three acres of which, on the bank of the Merri River, is laid down as a hop garden. Mr. Phillips has stations also at Ellerslie, West Framlingham, and Ballangeich.
Randall, Joseph, Woodford, was born in England, and came out at an early age with his parents to Australia, they settling at Woodford. He was engaged for ten years on Mr. George Virtue’s farm. There he learnt the art of bacon-curing, and, in 1875, established himself in the business of bacon-curer in Woodford in a very small way. In 1886, so greatly had his business increased, that the number of pigs killed in his establishment in that year was over 2000. Mr. Randall has also a large fruit garden under cultivation.
Rees, Thomas, Garvoc, was born in Wales, and arrived in Australia in 1863 by the ship Clara, of London. He went to Terang from Melbourne, and purchased land in the parish of Garvoc, where he has since resided, carrying on business as a grazier and dairy farmer.
Robinson, James, Grasmere, was born near Aberdeen, Scotland, and came out to Australia in the early part of 1857, landing at Melbourne. He first went to Warrnambool, and remained there about a year. Next he proceeded to the diggings on and round about the Ovens district, and, going back to Warrnambool, was with Wood and Yeoman for two years, after which he took a farm on his own account, but in a short time gave it up. Ultimately he took his present place, Glenco, about twenty years since. He was nominated vice-president of the local agricultural society in 1886, and retired in 1887, and is a member of the Koroit Agricultural Society. He is engaged principally in dairy-farming, and milks over eighty cows. In his younger days Mr. Robinson was a great prize-taker in ploughing matches, and is now chosen judge in most of such matches.
Rule, John, Woodford, is a native of Cambridge, England, who landed at Belfast, Victoria, in 1853, and a month after his landing went to Dennington, then to Tower Hill, and afterwards to Woodford, where he leased a place for three years, and then purchased his present property, Woodford Cottage. Mr. Rule carries on the business of carrier.
Rutledge, Thomas Foster, Dennington, is a son of the late Mr. William Rutledge (see RUTLEDGE, WILLIAM RUPERT). Mr. T. F. Rutledge resides on the portion of the estate known as Werronggurt, with the cultivation of which he occupies himself. He devotes considerable attention to public matters, and is a member of the Warrnambool shire council, and has occupied the presidential chair. He holds Her Majesty’s commission of the peace for the Western District.
Rutledge, William Rupert, Dennington, is a son of the late Mr. William Rutledge, a well-known landed proprietor and old resident of the Western District, who was the original owner of the special survey of 5225 acres of first-class land known as Wm. Rutledge’s Special Survey, and otherwise as Farnham Park, lying between the township of Dennington on Merri River, and the borough-of Koroit, in the parish of Yangery, and near Tower Hill. The property of Farnham Park was, on the death of Mr. Rutledge, left to his two sons, Mr. T. F. Rutledge and Mr. W. R. Rutledge. Mr. W. R. Rutledge was born at Port Fairy, educated in England and the North of Ireland, and has taken up his residence on the portion of the estate now properly known as Farnham Park, where he carries on grazing and agricultural pursuits.
Sharpe, W. J., Allansford, is a native of Victoria, born at Tooram, near Allansford, and carries on the occupation of general and dairy farming on his place, Pinegrove, Allansford.
Smith, James, Wangoom, is a native of Manchester, England, who emigrated to Tasmania in 1836, and remained there twelve years. In 1848 he went to Portland, and, after a time, to Belfast. In 1858 he proceeded to Melbourne, afterwards visiting the diggings at Ballarat and Sandy Creek. He then settled down to farming on his homestead, on the Wangoom-road, Wangoom, where he now resides.
Swan, David, Allansford, is a native of Perthshire, Scotland. Landing in Geelong in 1849, he made up into the bush, and went sheep-keeping at Buninyong. Two years afterwards he commenced carrying with a team of bullocks, and, going to Ballarat, he sold his stock off successfully. After the first land sale at that place, he purchased a piece of land at Burrumbeet, and started farming; and then, buying a piece at Windermere, he remained on it for some time. Eventually going to the Warrnambool district, he purchased 1600 acres at Swan Hill, Allansford, on which he has resided, carrying on business as a grazier, for the last twenty years. Mr. Swan has also a lease of 2000 acres at Sunbury.
Somerville, Mrs. John, Panmure, was born in Scotland, and came out to Australia in 1849, landing at Williamstown, and remained a short time in Melbourne. She married in 1853, and settled at Wangoom, where her husband carried on farming for twelve years, and then removed to the present homestead at Panmure, selecting land and carrying on the occupation of grazing and cheese-farming. Mrs. Somerville’s family consists of five sons and two daughters.
Spiers, Alexander, Garvoc, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Melbourne in 1855, going to Warrnambool, staying there two years, then at Mortlake for a time. In 1861, in partnership with others, he erected a sawmill at Emu Creek, one mile from the township of Garvoc, well known in the district as the Yallock saw-mills. The partnership continued until 1866, when Mr. Spiers became sole proprietor, and carried on the business ever since. About 1869 he purchased land in the parish of Garvoc, adjoining the mill; and, having added to it from time to time, now owns 1300 cares Mr. A. Spiers was the first man to settle in the Garvoc district, with the exception of the person (Mr. M. Curtain) who took up the Yallock station.
Stewart, John George, Grasmere, is a native of the North of Ireland, who came out to Melbourne in July, 1876. A few days after his arrival he proceeded to the Warrnambool district, where he was engaged in farming until in January, 1886, he took the Grasmere Inn and general store, which he now conducts. In connection with the hotel and store is the local post and money-order office.
Thomas, Richard P., Dennington, is a native of Waterford, Ireland, who came to Victoria in 1857. He landed in Melbourne, and, after staying there about a year, proceeded to Dennington, where he has been engaged as the head teacher of the State-school from the date of its commencement in 1859 up to the present. He also carries on farming at his residence, Riversdale, within a short distance of the township, on the left bank of the Merri River.
Toleman, Joseph, Garvoc, is son of the late Mr. William Toleman, a resident of the colony from 1841 until 1878, the year of his death. He came out by the ship Gilmore, spent a year in Melbourne, seven years in station life at Mortlake, Koort-Koort-Nong, and Minjah Stations. In 1851 he leased a dairy farm from Mr. Joseph Ware, staying on it five years. At that time cheese was sold at 3s. 6d. per 1b. In 1856 he purchased land at Mortlake, and carried on farming until 1873, and then selected land in Donald, where he remained until his death in 1878. His son, Mr. Joseph Toleman settled in Garvoc in 1864, and has resided there ever since. In 1876 he commenced store and hotel keeping, and in 1879 purchased land in the township and erected a store on it. He was postmaster for six years, and is the present deputy-registrar for the district of births, deaths, and marriages. Mr. J. Toleman bred Blackthorn, the winner of the Great National Steeplechase at Melbourne in 1882.
Vickers, Robert, Panmure, was born in Nottingham, England, and arrived in Australia in February, 1863. He first settled about twenty-five miles south of Wangaratta, and in 1867 went to the Western District and selectd a run south-east of Panmure, occupying himself in grazing and dairy-farming. Mr. Vickers has a family of six sons and three daughters.
Whyte, James, Winslow, is a native of Warrnambool, Victoria, who was educated at the Training School, Melbourne, and was for some time engaged as relieving teacher. He is now in charge of the Winslow State-school No. 654. The school is a fourth-class one, and has an average attendance of sixty pupils.
Wickham, Mrs. E., Purnim, is the widow of the late Mr. Edward Wickham, a native of Kent, England, who came to Melbourne about fifty years ago, and purchased the present property, Purnim Farm, near Wangoom, thirty-two years since, on which he carried on general and dairy farming. The business is now carried on by his two sons, John and Edward, who are natives of the place. The farm has an area of about 320 acres.
Wilson, James and Richard, Woodford, are natives of the North of Ireland, who came out to Victoria many years ago, landing at Portland, whence they went to Belfast, and shortly afterwards to Tower Hill, remaining there six years. They then rented 200 acres of land on Rutledge’s Survey, and were there six years. In 1867 they settled at Dundonald, their present place, where they carry on the breeding of horse stock-keeping two Clydesdale stallions and one blood horse, and being also engaged in farming and grazing.
Wilson, David, Allansford, is a native of Australia, born at Allansford. He completed his education in Melbourne, and returned to the homestead, Barslie Brae, in 1877. Mr. Wilson is engaged in grazing pursuits, and in rearing horse stock. Some of his racing stock has come well to the front.
Wilson, George John, of Winton, Allansford, was born at Hobart on the voyage from Scotland, 21st April, 1836. His father (the late Mr. John Wilson) who left Dick College, Edinburgh, in 1836, arrived in Melbourne the same year by the ship Boadicea, Captain Wright; purchased land at the corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale streets, Melbourne, in 1837, and opened a veterinary surgery and horse repository. Mr. G. J. Wilson was for a period of nine years a member of the town and shire councils of Warrnambool, and is still a member of the shire council.