As published in Victoria and Its Metropolis, Past and Present – Vol II. – The Colony and It’s People in 1888; Published by McCarron, Bird, & Co., Melbourne.
Aikman, James, Mortlake, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and arrived in Melbourne in 1854, when he proceeded, the same year, to Warrnambool, and carried on a building business in conjunction with Messrs. Hamilton and Geddes. In 1857 the partners purchased the flour mill at Mount Shadwell, then a windmill, and in the following year bought a steam-engine. About 1871 Mr. Hamilton retired from the firm, and Mr. Geddes died about eight years since, leaving Mr. Aikman sole proprietor. This gentleman has also a selection of land in the parish of Laang, and a sawmill adjoining. He has held Her Majesty’s commission of the peace for the western bailiwick since 1884, and is a trustee for the local cemetery and recreation grounds.
Armstrong, Alexander,Warrambine, left Scotland and came to Melbourne in 1852. He first took the position of overseer for Mr. Alexander Cunningham, and then of manager for Mr. Bell, of Warrambine Station, from whom he afterwards leased 40,000 acres, shearing from that and other places 80,000 sheep. He also bought the Watch Hill Station of about 11,000 acres of the finest grazing land in the colony, which property has since doubled in value. It formerly belonged to the late Major John Bell, who died worth £500,000. Mr. Armstrong has been married twice, the first time in England, the second time in the colony, and has a family of eleven children.
Armstrong, James, Mortlake, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Melbourne in 1848, landing at Geelong. About 1854 he purchased a station in conjunction with Mr. W. J. Reid, in the Swan Hill district, and remained there four years, after which he removed to Hexham, and carried on farming until 1875, when he purchased property in Mortlake, on which he has resided ever since. His family consists of one son and seven daughters.
Armstrong, James, Terang, was born in the county Fermanagh, Ireland, and came to Australia in 1860, landing at Geelong. In 1861 he went to Lake Keilambete, near Terang, and selected land, on which he has resided ever since, being one of the first to select in the locality. Mr. Armstrong is now eighty years of age, and carries on the business of a grazier.
Armstrong, William, J.P., Hexham, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Victoria in August, 1839, landing at Port Phillip. He lived near Geelong for five or six years; then went to Allanvale, near Ararat, where he spent two years, and thence to Devon Park for three years. In 1851 he settled down at Hexham, purchasing from Mr. Dunlop his present property, the Hexham Park Estate, which had been first settled on by Captain Adams. Mr. Armstrong is one of the largest landowners in the district, and makes a speciality of breeding Lincolnshire sheep. He is a member of the shire council of Mortlake, and a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick. We show an illustration of Mr. Armstrong’s residence “Hexham Park.”
Hexham Park” The Residence of William Armstrong, Esq., J.P.
Austin, Thomas, Winchelsea (deceased). This gentleman, whose memory is yet kept green as being so intimately identified with the very highest order of horse and other stock breeding in Victoria, and the name of whose estate, “Barwon Park,” was almost a synonym for “nothing but good,” came out from Great Britain to Tasmania, about the year 1835, with his parents and four brothers and a sister. His father however, disliking or being disappointed with that colony, soon afterwards returned to England, and his mother followed, after waiting for a time to witness the marriage of her daughter to the late Mr. Joseph Mack, of Berry Bank. Mr. T. Austin, in company with his brother James (now of Glastonbury Abbey, Somersetshire, England), left Tasmania in 1839, and proceeded to Victoria with a number of sheep, their intention being to take up land in the then comparatively little known territory of Port Phillip. They directed their steps towards the pastoral country lying to the westward of Geelong, and selected a tract of country on the east bank of the Barwon River, near what is now the flourishing township of Winchelsea. This place they called Barwon Park, and this was the nucleus of the magnificent estate, one of the finest in that part of the country, which is now known by the same name, and which still remains in the possession of the family. Mr. Austin did much, not only to improve and render valuable his own property; he was an ardent admirer of well-bred stock, and made his mark in the colony, and at the same time added to the general weal, by his importation of valuable horses and Lincoln sheep, which latter he was the first to introduce into Victoria. He also brought out partridges, pheasants, hares, and other game for acclimatisation in the land of his adoption. He built a large and handsome mansion on his estate, with commodious stabling and other necessary appurtenances for the splendid breeds of blood horses which it was his pleasure to rear, and whose fame yet dwells in the fond memory of sportsmen. During the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh to Australia, Mr. Austin was thrice honoured by having His Royal Highness as a guest at his house, nor is it too much to say that a visit to Barwon Park was, under the auspices of its hospitable owner, always looked upon with pleasure by the best people in the country. Mr. Austin made two trips to England. He married on the 14th August, 1845, Miss Elizabeth Phillip Harding, daughter of Mr. Robert Harding, of Somersetshire, England and died 15th December, 1871. He had a family of eleven children, eight of whom, four sons and four daughters, are living.
The Late Mr Thomas Austin and Mrs Thomas Austin
Austin, Mrs. Thomas, Winchelsea, was born at Middle Chinnock, Somersetshire, England, on the 14th August, 1821. This lady was the daughter of Mr. Robert Harding, and granddaughter of Mr. James Harding, of Henly Grove, Somersetshire. On her twentieth birthday she left England for Victoria (where she arrived in due course), with her eldest brother, Mr. William Harding, with whom she lived at Murdeduke until her marriage on the 14th August, 1845, with the late Mr. Thomas Austin, of Barwon Park, Winchelsea. Mr. Harding brought out with him two men servants to the colony, and his sister, Miss Harding who was the only lady saloon passenger by the vessel the Ward Chapman), and a maid servant. At the time of her arrival in Victoria, and especially in the part of it where she was located, everything was in a most primitive state. So numerous were the snakes in the vicinity, that no lady ventured to walk out without being armed with a stick for the purpose of self-defence, and, as a matter of fact, many of those noxious reptiles were destroyed in that way. Mrs. Austin resided for many years with her husband on his fine estate, Barwon Park, until his death on the 15th December, 1871. She is the mother of eleven children, eight of whom, four sons and four daughters, still survive, and all of whom are married, and have families. But it is, perhaps, not so much as the widow of Mr. Austin that this estimable lady is best known to the public. Her name, it may be said, is crowned with a still higher honour, namely, that of being a benefactor to the poor and suffering in their sore need. Few, indeed, are there throughout the length and breadth of Australia who have not heard of that inestimable institution, the Austin Hospital for Incurables, and who do not revere the name of the generous and single-minded woman who was its founder, and whose gracious name it bears. This admirable hospital came about thus:— An old servant having been dismissed from the Geelong Hospital as incurable, it entered the mind of Mrs. Austin that Christian charity demanded that some provision should be made for such, saddest of all unfortunates. To see the need was, with her, to supply it, and in July, 1881, the Marquis of Normanby, then Governor of Victoria, laid the foundation-stone of the Austin Hospital for Incurables, at Heidelberg. The work went rapidly on, and on 14th August, 1882, the institution was opened by Mr. C. J. Ham, Mayor of Melbourne, and it now stands a handsome structure, and a lasting memorial of the benevolence of the lady to whom it owes its existence. But this one institution does not exhaust the benefactions of Mrs. Austin. She has built reading-rooms in Chilwell Geelong, which were opened by the late Sir C. Sladen. She also gave the sum of £800 towards the Servants’ Training Institute, Yarra Park. She has built, at her own expense, twelve cottages for the poor of Geelong and Winchelsea, in South Geelong; and four cottages of larger size for the educated poor, with a large hall, &c., and tower, to be called the “Victoria Tower,” on account of its being erected in the Jubilee year. in such wise, Mrs. Austin has nobly fulfilled her share of those “duties” which, no less than its privileges, are assumed to be an attribute of wealth.
Baker, James, Noorat, is a native of the colony, born at the Koort-Koort-Nong Station, near Camperdown. He is a son of the late Edmond Baker, who came to Australia in 1852, and died 10th October, 1854, leaving a widow and family. About 1865 Mrs. Edmond Baker went to the parish of Glenormiston, where she selected land, and remained until her death, 26th March, 1884, after which her youngest son, Mr. James Baker, took possession of the property, and now resides on it, carrying on the business of a grazier. Mr. Baker was married 17th August, 1886.
Baker, John, Purrumbete, a native of Ireland, arrived in Australia in 1852, landing in Geelong, and proceeded to Camperdown the same year. In 1865 he selected land under Grant’s Act, and carried on agricultural operations for ten years, when he sold the property and purchased 1760 acres in North Purrumbete, on which he now resides and carries on grazing. He was married in 1874, and has a family of three sons and three daughters.
Barr, John, Ondit, is a native of Yorkshire, England, who arrived in Melbourne in October, 1852. In 1853 he went to the Forest Creek goldfield (Chewton), and thence to Bendigo, his efforts in mining being crowned with only partial success, and after that returned to Melbourne. About 1855 he and his brother Francis purchased over 400 acres of land at the Harkaway Ranges, in the neighbourhood of Dandenong, and continued in partnership for about ten years, when Mr. J. Barr sold his interest to his brother. In 1865 he went to Ondit, and has carried on business there as a farmer ever since. Mr. Barr was the first president of the Berwick and Ondit total abstinence societies. He is a trustee of the local cemetery, and a member of the local school board of advice.
Beal, Charles, Lorne, is the second son of Mr. Thomas Beal, corn and hop merchant, of Mark-lane, London. He was born in 1821, at Sandwich, Kent, England, and at the age of nearly seventeen made up his mind to come to Australia. He sailed from London 23rd February, 1838, and arrived at Hobartown, Tasmania, 17th July of the same year, after one of the quickest passages on record in those days. He had letters of introduction to Sir John Franklin, then Governor of Tasmania, and, after spending about nine months in Hobartown, being incited there to by hearing glowing reports about the new settlement of Port Phillip, he determined on going there. On the voyage over the vessel got stuck fast for two days among the seaweed near one of the islands in Bass’s Straits, and, arriving at Port Phillip, she was made fast to the ti-tree at the junction of the Yarra and Saltwater Rivers, it taking Mr. Beal and a fellow-passenger named Thomas Wells two hours to break through the scrub. They arrived in Melbourne in April, 1839. There were then but few houses in Collins-street. The “Club,” built by Mr. John Pascoe Fawkner, was on the site of the present Union Club Hotel, at the corner of Collins and Market streets; the Lamb Inn, now Scott’s Hotel, was constructed of weatherboard and “wattle and dab,” and, to obtain access, it was necessary to go up five feet of stone steps, the present billiard-room at Scott’s being the original level. The British Hotel in King-street, and the Horse and Jockey in Little Bourke-street, were then built. The police office was in Market-square; Captain Lonsdale, superintendent of Port Phillip, lived on the bank of the Yarra, near what is now Richmond; the Commissioner of Crown Lands was Mr. Powlett; Mr. Kelsh, the postmaster, resided in a small four-roomed cottage in Little Collins-street; and Mr. James Smith, the actuary of the Savings Bank, conducted divine service in a weatherboard building with no flooring. After being nine months in Melbourne, Mr. Beal went to Geelong in 1840, in a small craft called the Devonshire, the passage taking two days. In December, 1842, Mr. Deal joined Mr. Trebeck, and went to the Barwon, now called Winchelsea, and built there the Barwon Hotel. About 1846, Messrs. Thomas Austin, H. Hopkins, and a few neighbours erected the first stone church at Winchelsca, which was formally opened by Bishop Perry, and is now used as a school-room. Mr. Beal still remembers the happy days he spent in that locality in the bygone time, and feels a natural pride in the fact that the old firm of Beal and Trebeck founded the town of Winchelsea. In 1853 they rented the Mount Gellibrand Station from Mr. Charles Ayrey for seven years. In 1860 Mr. Trebeck left the firm and went to Sydney, N.S.W.; the property was divided, and Mr. Beal purchased the station (Bleak House, Mount Gellibrand, near Birregurra) where he lived until 1882, when he went to reside at his present abode at Lorne. Mr. Beal served for four years (from 1862) as councillor in the shire of Winchelsea, and for thirteen years in the shire of Colac, being twice elected president, and resigning on his removal to Lorne in 1882. In 1868 he was sworn in as territorial magistrate, and officiates now in the southern bailiwick.
Black, Hon. Neil, J.P., Noorat (deceased), arrived in Australia in 1839, and went to the Camperdown district, where, in partnership with Mr. Finlay, of Castle Tower, Argyleshire, Scotland; Mr. Stuart Gladstone, of Capenock, Scotland; and Mr. Stewart, of Glenormiston, Perthshire, Scotland, he purchased the Glenormiston property. The partnership continued until 1868, when the property was divided. Mr. Black bought Mr. Glad stone’s portion, now known as Mount Noorat, and resided on it until his death in 1880. Mr. Black was for many years a representative of the Western Province in the Legislative Council, and was also a magistrate for the southern bailiwick. This property was originally owned by Mr. Taylor, and it may be mentioned that the native blacks were very troublesome when that gentleman settled on the land, as, indeed, they were when Mr. Black settled. The property remains in the hands of Mr. Black’s sons, who reside on the estate.
Boyd, James A., Pomborneit, is a native of the colony, born at Belmont, near Geelong, in 1857. He came to the Camperdown district with his parents at eight years of age. His father, the late Mr. Alexander Boyd, selected land near Camperdown, on which he resided until his death; Mr. James A. Boyd remaining on the property afterwards until 1886, when he purchased 430 acres from Mr. D. N. Moodie, where he now lives, and carries on grazing.
Brain, Isaac, Kolora, was born in the parish of Bitton, county Gloucestershire, England, and came to Australia in April, 1853, being detained in quarantine at Point Nepean for eight months. He then spent twelve months in Melbourne, and a few years on the Plenty. In 1859 he went to Terang, and after a time removed to Kolora, selecting land under the occupation license, and has resided on it ever since, carrying on grazing. In 1883 he married the widow of the late Mr. John Nelson, builder, an early pioneer of the colony, who died in 1882.
Brennan, Nicholas, Noorat, was born in the county Kilkenny, Ireland, and came to Australia in September, 1855. He landed at Williamstown, and then went to Ballarat and Bendigo, and followed digging avocations for about seven years. After a visit to New Zealand, he went to Sydney, New South Wales, and was on the Lachlan diggings for about a year, going back after that to New Zewland, and remaining there eighteen months. Finally he returned to Victoria and purchased land in the parish of Glenormiston, where he now resides, and carries on farming and grazing.
Brumley, William, Mortlake, was born in Lincolnshire, England, and arrived in Australia in 1847, remaining a short time in Melbourne, and then going to the St. Mary’s Station, near Warrnambool. In 1851 he went to the gold diggings for a time, but returned to the Western District, purchased the Woolshed Inn, at Hexham, in 1852, and conducted it about two years. In 1854 he went to Mortlake, and purchased land at Mount Shadwell, carrying on agricultural pursuits there for a number of years. He was one of the first persons who purchased land in the Mortlake district, and erected the first store in the township.
Buchanan, Charles, J.P., Vine Bank, Ondit, was born in Glasgow in 1833, and emigrated to New South Wales in 1856, landing at Sydney. In the same year he came to Victoria, and, like most other new arrivals, went to the goldfields for a time. He went back to Scotland in 1858, and the following year returned to Victoria, where he spent two years with Mr. Hugh Murray as gardener. He then went to Ondit, and purchased untimbered land, and in 1861 planted an orchard and vineyard, on which he now resides. He was elected a member of the shire council in 1870, and still retains the seat, being elected president in 1874, and again in 1884; since which date he has been appointed to Her Majesty’s commission of the peace. Mr. Buchanan has been twice married, and has a family of three children.
Campbell, Simon, Colac. This gentleman was born in the county Clare, Ireland, in 1817, and arrived in Victoria on 25th June, 1849, going to Colac in the same year. He commenced business as a blacksmith, purchased an allotment, and built a shop and dwelling-house of slabs and bark. At this time there were but three houses in Colac. In August, 1849, Mr. Campbell shod the first police horse, and in November of the same year he did the ironwork of the first police station in the district. About 1854 he purchased an acre of land in the township for £30, and ten years afterwards realised £500 for half of it. About twenty-five years since he bought ninety-five acres adjoining the township, and built a brick house, where he now resides, and conducts his business of farming and grazing. Mr. Campbell was married about 1850. His family consists of two sons and two daughters.
Clifford, Charles W., Kolora, was born in Leicestershire, England, and came out to Australia in 1852, following the occupation of gold-mining for about six months, and then going to Warrnambool, and remaining there until 1860, when he took a trip to Europe, and returned in 1861. He next went to Kolara, selected and purchased land under the Heales Act, and has resided there since. In 1857 he was married, and has a family of two sons and two daughters.
Cohen, M., Camperdown, is a native of Poland, who came out to Australia in May, 1854, and landed in Melbourne. He commenced in the jewellery business, and carried it on eight years, and was then at the goldfields for three and a-half years, being successful during the last year. In 1873 he opened a jewellery store in Colac, and conducted the business there eleven years, after which he engaged in the same line in Camperdown, where he now carries on business.
Cole, Mrs. Isabella, is the widow of the late Mr. Francis Cole, who arrived in Victoria from Plymouth in December, 1842. Mrs. Cole, who came to Victoria from London in December, 1849, was married to Mr. Cole in 1856 at West Cloven Hill, near Darlington, by the Rev. Mr. Hamilton. They then went to reside at Woodlands, near Camperdown, where Mr. Cole settled and remained carrying on grazing until his death in November, 1873. He left a widow and a family of five sons and seven daughters. Mr. F. Cole was highly esteemed in the district both as a man of business and as a private gentleman for his generosity and general urbanity.
Cole, Nicholas, Camperdown, is a native of Victoria, born at West Cloven Hills, near Camperdown, in 1856. His father, the late Mr. Nicholas Cole, came to Australia in 1839, landing in Sydney, N.S.W., and then coming over to Victoria, and taking up the West Cloven Hills, and the Meningoort Stations, in conjunction with Mr. Peter M’Arthur, they being the first occupants of the property. Mr. Cole, senior, was widely known for his genial disposition and unbounded hospitality to all with whom he came in contact. One memorable act of the deceased, which showed an admirable trait in his character, is worthy of record. Some years ago a meeting of land-holders was held, when it was proposed that a night’s lodging on stations should be denied to travelling swagmen unless they paid for it. Mr. Cole, who was present when the proposition was made, immediately rose and said, “Gentlemen, I must leave you, because while I have a sheep, I shall never deny a working man a night’s lodging.” This outspoken language had the effect of dissolving the meeting, and crushing the parsimonious proposal.
Condie, Matthew, Cobden, is a native of Fifeshire, Scotland, who arrived in Australia, landing at Portland Bay, in 1855. Soon afterwards he went to Geelong, and remained there four years, renting land near the town for three years, and next moving to Colac for two years. In 1865 he selected land under Grant’s Act at South Purrumbete, and settled down there grazing and dairy-farming on his present location. Mr. Condie was married in Scotland, and has a family of two sons and two daughters.
Cowley, Edwin, Camperdown, is English born, and came out to Australia in 1856, landing in Sydney, N.S.W., where he remained twelve months, and then came over to Victoria and settled at Bendigo, living there for about nine years. During that period he was drummer in the band of the volunteer rifle corps for four and a-half years. Leaving there he went to Ballarat and Daylesford, and also to Geelong for a while. In 1865 he went to Camperdown, and stayed there eighteen months, going thence to Melbourne, where he carried on business as tailor and outfitter until 1879, when he returned to Camperdown, and commenced business in the same line, in which he is still engaged.
Coyle, Michael, Terang, was born in the county Donegal, Ireland, and arrived in Australia in 1852, going first to the Port Fairy district,and shortly afterwards to Purnim, where he carried on farming until 1868. He then moved to the parish of Garvoc, and selected under Grant’s Land Act, and has resided on his property ever since, carrying on grazing and farming. He was married about 1859, and has a family of one son and four daughters.
Cummins, William, Camperdown, is a native of Lifford, county Donegal, Ireland, who came out to Melbourne in 1861. In 1864 he went to the Camperdown district, and carried on farming there until 1877, when he started in business as wool-classer in the various colonies. He now resides at Gnotuk, two miles from Camperdown, where he has purchased land and built a dwelling-house.
Curdie, Dr., Cobden (deceased). The late Dr. Curdie sailed for Australia and landed at Port Phillip in 1839. He proceeded thence to Sydney, whence he returned overland with cattle, and settled on the Tandarook Station, on Curdie’s Creek, in October, 1840. In 1851 he visited Scotland, and returned to Australia in January, 1854, remaining at Tandarook (Cobden), about ten miles south of Camperdown, until his death on the 22nd February, 1884. In 1847 the first church was started in the Camperdown district. Amongst the principal promoters were Dr. Curdie, Mr. Neil Black, and Mr. Lachlan M’Kioonon. Dr. Curdie, after whom is named Curdie’s Creek and Curdie’s Inlet, was one of the pioneers of the Western District, and was highly respected by all who knew him, both for his genial temperament and intellectual capacity.
Dawson, James, Camperdown, was born at Bonnytown, near Linlithgow, Scotland, and came to Melbourne in his colonial career by taking up a station on the Yarra, where he remained for three or four years. He removed thence to the Port Fairy district, and there purchased a station, which he held until the Duffy Land Act of 1862 interfered with the squatting system, when he sold out, and afterwards retired from active business. Mr. Dawson then devoted his attention to the collecting of information about the aborigines of his district, which he embodied in his work, “Australian Aborigines,” published by George Robertson, Melbourne, in 1881, and frequently referred to in our chapter on the Aboriginal Tribes, Vol. I. Mr. Dawson also caused to be erected by subscriptions from friends a very handsome obelisk in memory of the extinct blacks of the Camperdown district. It is a fine grey granite obelisk twenty feet in height, and cost nearly £200, and stands in the central spot of the Camperdown cemetery.
Dennis, Alexander, Birregurra, was born in Cornwall, England, and landed at Hobson’s Bay in 1840. He went over to Tasmania to purchase sheep, bullocks, horses, drays, and farming implements, which he brought over to Victoria — then Port Phillip — at Point Henry, near Geelong. The same year he settled near Colac, and embarked in squatting pursuits until the land was open for purchase. Mr. Dennis and his son own about 8000 acres of purchased land at Birregurra, shearing some 9000 sheep. In 1848 or 1849 the former gentleman was appointed a magistrate for the southern bailiwick, and still retains the position. He was elected a member of the local shire council when it was created, and held the office ten years. The district is well adapted for fruit-growing. Mr. Dennis has about fifty-six acres planted with fruit trees of all descriptions.
Doughney, J. J., Mortlake, is a son of Mr. John Doughney, now of Geelong. He commenced business in 1875 as hotelkeeper in the Western District, at Mount Elephant, or Terinallum (a native name, signifying a hill of fire), and remained there five years, removing afterwards to Darlington for three years, and thence to his present location, Mortlake, where he purchased the Mount Shadwell Hotel, which he now conducts.
Dowling, James, Colac, was born in Tasmania, and came to Victoria some thirty-seven years ago. He first settled at Geelong, where he took up farming for about two years. Thence he went to Colac, and afterwards visited the goldfields with moderate success. He then returned to Colac, and purchased land near the township, on which he resides, and carries on the business of a grazier, &c. He married about 1853, and has a family of four sons and four daughters.
Dowling, Hon. Thomas, J.P., M.L.C., Darlington, was born in Essex, England, in 1819, and arrived in Tasmania in 1830, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1848. In 1849 he came over to Victoria and settled on Lake Coragulac, near Camperdown, erecting a dairy, and continuing in the business until the gold discovery in 1851. He then purchased the Jellelabad Station, on Emu Creek, Darlington, where he still resides. He was appointed a magistrate for the southern bailiwick in 1854, and held the first court at Timboon, now Camperdown. He was also appointed a member of the first road board, which held its sittings at Darlington, remaining a member of that board until it merged into the Mortlake shire council, of which body he has been one ever since, and of which he is now president, having occupied that position, off and on, for about fifteen years since 1865. Mr. Dowling was elected a member of the Legislative Council, representing the Nelson Province, in August, 1886. He was one of the chief promoters of the first schools at Camperdown and Darlington. In his business of grazier, he makes a speciality of breeding merino sheep. He was married in 1842, and has a family of five sons and six daughters.
Dunoon, George, Colac, is a native of Scotland, who arrived in Melbourne in 1864, and remained there about three years. He then moved to Colac, where he commenced his business of tailor and outfitter, which business he still carries on. He was the second resident tailor to start in the place, which had then only a population of 300 persons. At that time the aboriginals were numerous, and frequently held carousals in Murray-street.
Edmundson, William, J.P., Birregurra, is a native of England, who came out to Melbourne in June, 1857, going thence to Pirron Yalloak Station near Colac, and remaining there four years. In 1861 he went to Ripple Vale Station, which he managed for Sir Charles Sladen eleven years. He married in 1872, and then settled on Ellimanooth Station, where he now resides and carries on the occupation of a grazier. About three years since he was appointed a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick.
Elkington, John, Lorne. This gentleman served his time to the wool trade, at Bermondsey, London, where he was born 17th June, 1818, and where he remained until his marriage in 1840. In August, 1848, he left England for Port Phillip, and arrived at Melbourne 8th January, 1849. He took up his residence at Geelong, and in 1852 was instrumental in establishing the first Chamber of Commerce in Victoria at that town. Mr. Elkington was variously occupied up to 1857, when he entered the municipal service, filling the office of secretary for Barrabool, Bannockburn, and Winchelsea road districts for a number of years. He also took an active part in framing measures for the Local Government Act at the conferences which were held in Melbourne from 1859 until 1863, in which latter year that Act came into operation. From 1862 to 1875 he resided at Mount Moriac, and has for the last eleven years resided at Lorne, where he carries on the business of land agent, &c.
Elkington, Victor, Winchelsea, is Australian by birth, being a native of Geelong, and received his education in Geelong and Melbourne schools. He has been connected with municipal affairs since he was ten years of age, having then assisted his father, Mr. John Elkington, now of Lorne, in various matters connected with the Local Government Act. He was appointed secretary and treasurer of the Winchelsea shire in 1874, and is clerk of petty sessions at Winchelsea and Mount Moriac.
Errey, Thomas Peter, Camperdown, was born in the parish of Heathfield, Sussex, England, and came to Melbourne in 1857, whence he proceeded to the Camperdown district. In 1860 he commenced farming and grazing, and in 1862 started in the butchering business, which he still carries on. He was appointed a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick about four years ago. Mr. Errey was married in England, and has a family of two sons and three daughters.
Fenton, David, Cobden, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Geelong in 1849. He settled in the Camperdown district at an early date, and at the first land sale purchased one acre in the township for £74 and on it built the first house, which he occupied. He now resides near Cobden, where he carries on grazing.
Ferguson, W. M., Camperdown, was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and came to Australia in 1854. He landed at Melbourne, and remained there about a month, after which he proceeded to the Camperdown district, and was for twelve years the secretary of the Hampden district road board, which afterwards, in December, 1863, constituted the shire of Hampden. He was also clerk of the bench at Camperdown. Subsequently he occupied himself as a professional accountant, and now resides at Timboon, the name Camperdown was better known by in the early days.
Fitzgerald, George Sydney, Mortlake, was born in Somersetshire, England, and arrived in Australia in December, 1853, landing at Sydney, N.S.W., and going gold-mining with varying success for eighteen months. Coming to Melbourne, he spent a few months in the metropolis, went to Westernport in 1855, and took 600 head of cattle to Mr. Thomson’s station at Keilambek, near Terang. On returning to Melbourne he engaged with Mr. Bourke, who resided at Mortlake, and in 1856 he purchased land at that place, adding to it from time to time, until he now owns over 1000 acres, which he utilises for grazing and farming purposes. With Mr. William Brumley and Mr. Walter Williams, Mr. Fitzgerald was the first to introduce horse-racing into the Mortlake district.
Forrest, Charles L., J.P., M.L.A., Colac, was born in Scotland on 16th September, 1838, and came to Victoria in 1852. After a brief residence at Fryers Creek, near Castlemaine, he settled in the Ballarat district. He lived there twenty-eight years, and was during that time a member of the Ripon shire council for twelve years, and president thereof twice. In 1880 he removed to Colac, and was a member of the shire council four years, being also elected its president. He was elected a member of the Legislative Assembly for Polwarth and South Grenville in 1886, and now holds the seat.
Gellie, William, Camperdown, was born in the North of Ireland, and came to Australia in November, 1841, landing in Melbourne, and working for two years as a baker. He went to the Camperdown district in 1843, and followed various pursuits for a number of years. He then purchased land near the township, where he has resided since, and carried on grazing, &c. In 1841 he married, and in April, 1863, his wife died, leaving a family of two sons and four daughters.
Gill, Richard, Colac, was born in the county Galway, Ireland, and came to Melbourne with his parents in 1852. For about thirty years Mr. Gill resided near Laketown, and carried on farming. He then came to Ondit-road, and purchased the hotel known as the Irrawarra, where he now resides, after carrying on business for the past five years. His family consists of four sons and seven daughters.
Gray, George, Terang, was born at Canton, Nottinghamshire, England, and arrived in Australia in 1855, where, after following various pursuits, he in 1861 selected 128 acres of land in the parish of Keilambete,and has added to it from time to time, until he now has 400 acres near Terang, on which he carries on grazing. Mr. Gray has been a trustee of the Bible Christian Church at Terang since its establishment in 1863.
Gubbins, John H., Terang, was born at Tavistock, Devonshire, England, and came to Australia in 1854. He landed at Melbourne, and proceeded to the Creswick gold diggings, remaining there eight months. He then engaged in dairying for about seven years, after which he went to Clunes and carried on a hay and corn business for four years. He next went to Ararat, where he was grazing and farming for thirteen yers, and in 1878 he purchased the Ecklin March of 1535 acres, a tract of land draining into Mount Emu Creek, where he now carries on the avocation of a grazier.
Camperdown and Mount Leura
Hallyburton, Adam, Pomborneit, was born in Perth, Scotland, in 1827, and came out to Australia in 1857, landing in Geelong, where he worked for ten weeks at boiler-making, after which he went to the Camperdown district, and took a contract to build a dairy for Mr. Hugh Scott, of Jancourt Station. He continued in the building line until 1867. In 1865 he selected the land on which he now resides, and where he carries on agricultural pursuits. In 1870 Mr. Hallyburton built the first school-house in the Pomborneit neighbourhood. The building is also used as a place of worship. The Rev. Mr. Wilson, now resident in Kew, near Melbourne, was the first clergyman to officiate within its walls.
Hamilton, David, Camperdown. This gentleman, although not an old colonist according to the ordinary acceptation of the term, has, since his arrival in Melbourne early in 1860, had considerable experience in various capacities which afforded him an insight into colonial affairs, and more especially with regard to municipal institutions, with which he has been intimately connected for over twenty-five years. He is a native of county Donegal, Ireland, who came out to seek his fortune beneath the Southern Cross before he had reached his majority. Being unable to obtain employment in Melbourne, he took up his “swag” and tried the bush, and, after a weary tramp, he got a couple of weeks’ work on a farm at the Plenty, by which he earned £2. Soon after this, through the influence of a friend, he obtained a tutorship in a gentleman’s family, near Meredith, which situation he held two years; and subsequently, for a few years, the combined appointments of teacher of the Government school at Lethbridge and clerk to the Meredith road board. In 1869 he was selected by the Hampden shire council, from amongst a number of other applicants, as their secretary and treasurer, an office which he has filled ever since. During his long connection with road boards and shire councils, Mr. Hamilton has gained an extended experience in the working of the municipal system in various phases. Besides discharging his strictly official duties, he has acted as honorary secretary to charitable and other movements. On the occasion of his leaving Meredith and Lethbridge his friends met and presented him with a valedictory address, and accompanied this testimonial with a handsome and valuable presentation of books. Mr. Hamilton was married in 1881.
Harlock, William, Pomborneit, was born in Geelong, Victoria. His father arrived in this colony in 1851, and lived in Geelong for eight or nine years, after which he removed to Ondit, near Colac, where he selected land under the Duffy Act, and carried on dairy farming for a number of years. In 1877 he purchased land near Camperdown, 150 acres of which Mr. W. Harlock has since bought, residing on it and carrying on grazing. Mr. Harlock, senior, is still living, and resides at Colac. Mr. W. Harlock was married in 1875, and has a family of one son and four daughters.
Harrison, George, Pomborneit, was born at Streatlam Grange, in the county Durham, England, and landed in Melbourne in January, 1854, by the ship Kent. Thence he went first to Geelong, and then to Tandarook Station, where he was overseer for Dr. Curdie for three years. He next joined a company established in Melbourne for the purpose of taking horses and sheep over to Western Australia. In 1865 he selected land under Grant’s Act at Mount Porndon, and has resided there ever since, carrying on farming. In 1869 Mr. Harrison was appointed shire valuer, and in 1872 rate-collector and inspector for the Hampden shire, and still retains the position. He has always taken a warm interest and a prominent part in connection with municipal affairs, and in all matters relating to the temperance movement.
Hill, Campbell S., Colac, was born in Glasgow, Scotland. He came to Australia with his parents in the ship Clyde in 1840, and landed in Sydney, N.S.W. In or about 1856 Mr. Hill commenced business in a flour and general produce store at Rokewood, Victoria, and carried it on in Connection with his father’s flour mill for six years. In 1865 he took the Victoria Hotel at Birregurra, and occupied it for about seven years. Thence he went to the Colac district, and conducted the Great Western Hotel, at Irrewillipe, for seven years, and after two years at the hotel business in Melbourne, returned to Colac, and purchased the old-established Colac Hotel, where he now resides. See HILL, THOMAS, Dimboola.
Hills, George H., Colac, is a Victorian native, born in Melbourne in 1840, where he remained for nine years, when he went to Colac, in 1850, with his parents. At this time there were but very few inhabitants in the district. At the age of twenty-one he commenced business on his own account, purchasing township blocks in Colac, and being successful in selling them and others. About thirteen years since he bought 300 acres of land near Colac, on which he now resides, carrying on grazing and dealing in land and stock; and during this period he has bought an additional 300 acres, besides occupying 700 acres more, which he rents. Mr. Hills kept the Royal Hotel, Colac, for three and a-half years, and about 1870 he was appointed shire inspector, and filled the office for one year. He has been married about 15 years, and has a family of three sons and four daughters.
Hills, James, Colac, was born in Gravesend, Kent, and at nine years of age removed to Portsmouth, England. He came to Australia on 20th January, 1840, in the third emigrant ship John Bull, and landed at Sandridge. At that time Melbourne was nearly all bush. He, however, commenced business in Elizabeth-street, and carried it on there for four years, when he moved to Collins-street, and conducted business for six years. In 1850 he left Melbourne for Colac, but the guide that ought to have conducted him to Geelong got the worse for liquor and lost the way, taking him to Mr. Austin’s station, where he was detained four days through the drayman having lost his horses. Mr. Hills arrived at Colac on the 17th March, 1850, and established himself in business as a general storekeeper there, at which he continued until 1866, when he took to grazing cattle, and retired from active business in 1880. Mr. Hills was one of the chief promoters of the Church of England, and of the free Public Library, also one of the originators of the Melbourne Cricket Club, of which he was secretary. He was one of the first jurymen in the Supreme Court, when it was held in a store, Judge Willis being the first judge, so that he may fairly claim to be identified with the colony in its earliest days.
Hogarth, David John, Colac, is a native of Tasmania, born in 1856. He left Hobartown under engagement to the Hamilton Spectator, Victoria, and subsequently in 1882 purchased the Colac Reformer, assuming the editorial management of it. This newspaper has been in existence for fifteen years, and all the property in connection therewith is owned by Mr. Hogarth and his partner, Mr. H. J. Richmond. Mr. Hogarth married Miss E. Bowman, a Hamilton lady, daughter of Mr. T. Bowman, M.E., consulting gas engineer.
Hopkins, John Rout, J.P., Winchelsea. This gentleman, who is at once one of the oldest residents and most prominent public men in the locality where he resides, is a native of Hobartown, Tasmania, and son of Mr. Henry Hopkins, who was one of the first to ship wool from Tasmania to England in 1819 and 1821, and was the gentleman in whose house, at Hobartown, the Australasian League for stopping transportation to the colonies was formed, and the resolution to that effect drawn up. Mr. J. R. Hopkins came to Port Phillip in 1845, spent six months at the Barrabool Hills, and in 1847 settled on the Wormbete Station, four miles from Winchelsea, having 22,000 acres, where he has since resided. About 1849 the first church was erected in the locality, and, in 1861, the present one was built. Mr. Hopkins has been a member of the Winchelsea shire council almost since its establishment. He was also the first president of the Barrabool shire, and has been president of the Winchelsea shire council for the past seven years. He has held Her Majesty’s commission of the peace for the southern bailiwick for over thirty years.
Hunter, Charles H. D., Stonyford, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Australia in 1884, landing at Sydney, N.S.W. He came to Victoria in order to start a rabbit-preserving factory at Stonyford, near Colac. He commenced building the premises two years since last February, and had it running in seven weeks. He employs about fifty hands in the factory, and about 150 trappers outside. The first year he turned out 186,000 tins of preserved rabbit. The second year he only worked eleven weeks, and turned out 87,000 tins, and in 1887 he was manufacturing at the rate of from 18,000 to 22,000 tins per week.
Jamieson, Robert, Darlington, was born in Scotland, and sailed from Greenock in 1840, landed at Melbourne in April, 1841, and spent two years at Port Fairy. Thence he went to Dowler’s Creek, and remained there six years, removing then to Geelong, where he built a flour mill near the town, which he sold in 1851. He next went to Normildale district, and, in conjunction with his brother, purchased and worked a station, but after a time bought his brother’s interest in the property, and in 1858 sold the estate; the following year he purchased the Bolac Plains Station from Mr. Hood, and lived on it for about twenty-three years, and still possesses it. In 1881 he also purchased Stony Point, adjoining Darlington, from Mr. T. F. Cumming, on which property he now resides, carrying on grazing, and making a speciality of breeding merino sheep.
Johnston, J. G., Colac, was born in Geelong in 1857, and came to reside in Colac with his parents in 1867. His father, a saddler, still carries on business in Colac, and with him, about 1878, he went into partnership in the saddlery trade, with a tannery in conjunction, and remained in it until 1883, when he entered on the business of auctioneer and real estate agent, which he now carries on.
Laing, F. T. B., Terang, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Australia in September, 1842, in the ship Duke of Richmond. He landed at Port Phillip and remained there about three years, and in 1845 went to Deep Creek, known now as the township of Bulla. In 1848 he took charge of the Yallock Station and remained there until 1860, removing thence to the Colac district, where he stayed two years, then returned to Yallock Station and remained there until about 1867. He next moved to Terang, where he now carries on the avocation of drover, general stock manager, &c.
Lang, Alexander, Ondit, was born in Scotland, and came to Victoria in March, 1854. He immediately proceeded to the Colac district, and engaged in various pursuits there for about three years. Then, in conjunction with his brother Gavin, he purchased land at Coghill’s Creek, and carried on farming for a time, after which they sold the property, and returned to Colac, where they remained two years. Thence they went to Ondit, and selected 370 acres of land under the Nicholson Act, and a paddock of 400 acres under the Duffy Act. They then dissolved partnership, one remaining on each selection. The Lang brothers built the first house in the Ondit district, some twenty-six or twenty-seven years since. Mr. A. Lang purchased and selected from time to time nearly 3000 acres, which he occupies for grazing purposes. He was married about 1860, and has a family of three sons and four daughters.
Lang, Matthew, Terang, is a native of Somersetshire, England, who came to Melbourne in 1853. In 1867 he went to Terang and purchased a general store, carrying on business there until 1885, when he let the store and purchased land in the neighbourhood, on which he now resides and which he utilises for grazing purposes.
Lawler, Robert, Colac, is a native of Victoria, born in Colac in 1853. His father came to the colony in 1852 and settled at Colac, where he carried on farming and grazing until his death, in November, iS8o. Mr. R. Lawler lives on the old homestead. The property was taken up by his father under the different Land Acts. Mr. R. Lawler married in 1883, and has a family of three sons.
Linn, Mrs. Henry, Terang, is the widow of the late Mr. Henry Linn, of Terang. She was born in Ireland, and in 1851 came with her husband to Australia, landing at Melbourne and settling in the Geelong district, where they carried on general and dairy farming. They purchased land, and after farming for some years sold the property and went to Ireland, remaining there two years, and then returned to Australia, where they settled on Lake Keilambete, and where the widow now dwells. The late Mr. Linn died 13th December, 1885, at the age of eighty-two years, and his remains were interred in the Terang cemetery.
Lord, Samuel, Pomborneit, was born at Linton, near Bristol, England, and came to Australia in 1845. He landed at Adelaide, South Australia, and after remaining there for a time went to Sydney, New South Wales, where he spent a few months. He next returned via Port Phillip to South Australia, and in 1849 visited England, and, coming back, followed the goldfields for some years. In 1865 he selected land near Camperdown, in the neighbourhood of Pomborneit, where he now resides. He has also 480 acres at Princetown, which he utilises for grazing purposes. Mr. Lord’s family consists of eight sons and three daughters.
M’Arthur, Peter, J.P., Camperdown, was born in the Island of Islay Argyleshire, Scotland, and came to Australia in May, 1839, landing in Sydney, N.S.W., and then coming over to Victoria, or, as it was called, Port Phillip. The same year he proceeded to the Camperdown district, and took up Meningoort, the station on which he now resides, in company with the late Mr. Nicholas Cole, remaining in partnership until 1843, when they divided the station. At the time Mr. M’Arthur settled in the district there were but three or four persons within a radius of thirty or forty miles; the country was in its natural state, there being neither fences, roads, nor bridges.
“Meningoort” The Residence of Peter M’Arthur, Esq., J.P.
M’Crae, James, Camperdown, was born in Port Glasgow, Scotland, and arrived in Melbourne in December, 1852. He went to Camperdown about 1862, and, after following various pursuits for some five years, commenced the building trade, which he still carries on. Mr. M’Crae was appointed a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick about four years since, which position he retains.
M’Donald, Ewen, Terang, was born in Rossshire, Scotland, and came with his parents to Australia in 1848. They settled near Geelong, and carried on agricultural pursuits for about ten years, when they sold out and removed to Mortlake, where they selected land in various parts of the district. In 1861 Mr. Ewen M’Donald purchased 160 acres on Lake Keilambete, settled on it in 1868, and still resides there, carrying on grazing. His father, the late Mr. John M’Donald, died in 1859, and was buried at Mortlake.
Macdonald, Farquhar, Terang, born in Rossshire, Scotland, came to Australia in 1848 by the ship Aurora, of London, landing at Geelong. Thence he went to Ararat, spending four years in that district, and thence to Lake Modewarre, a salt-water lake, with an area of about three square miles, lying near the main western road, west of Geelong (Modewarre is a native word meaning musk duck), and was eight or nine years in that locality. Eventually he removed to the parish of Glenormiston, where he selected under the occupation clause, and where he has lived ever since, carrying on grazing. His brother Simon came out at the same time, and settled in the same district, dying there in 1884, and being buried in the Terang cemetery.
M’Donald, James, sen., was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1807, and came to Australia in 1839, by the ship Palmyra, landing at Hobson’s Bay, and finding what is now the magnificent city of Melbourne then nearly all bush. Early in 1840 he went to the Camperdown district, and was there with the late Mr. Neil Black for two years and a-half. He then engaged in various pursuits until 1854, when he purchased, at £5 per acre, the farm where he now resides. He also spent £10 per acre in clearing, fencing, and subdividing it. He was married in Scotland in 1839, and has a family of three sons and three daughters.
Macdonald, Murdo, Terang, was born in the parish of Glensheil, Ross-shire, Scotland, and arrived in Australia in December, 1848, landing at Point Henry, near Geelong, and hiring with Mr. Horatio S. Wills, with whom he remained a year, and for the following three years lived about the Wimmera and the head of the Hopkins River. He then went to the gold diggings for a year. (In 1852 his first employer, Mr. Wills, sold his station at Mount William, in the Ararat district, and went to live at Point Henry, and in 1859 visited Europe, leaving some of his children behind at a German university. He then returned to Australia, and purchased three blocks of grazing country in Queensland from Mr. Peter Macdonald, who had been superintendent for Mr. G. Armitage, and started for the new country with a splendid lot of stock and material. Shortly after taking possession Mr. Wills, and all employés, except one man who died in the bush, were murdered by the blacks.) Mr. M. Macdonald went to Mortlake in 1858, and settled at Noorat in 1862, having carried on grazing and agriculture there ever since.
M’Garvie, William, Pomborneit, was born in the North of Ireland, and arrived in Melbourne in 1844, going thence to the Barrabool Hills, near Geelong, and remaining there a year. He then went to the Plenty for a time, and was after that for three years at the Stony Rises, and followed various avocations until 1865, when he selected the property on which he now resides, and carries on grazing.
M’Kay, Hugh, Pirron Yalloak, was born in Scotland, and landed in Geelong from the ship Horult in October, 1854. He followed mining for five or six years, and settled in Pirron Yalloak nineteen years since, commencing and carrying on to the present time a general storekeeper’s business, and adding to it that of a grazier. Mr. M‘Kay was married in 1859. The first church in Pirron Yalloak was opened about twelve years ago.
M’Kenzie, Donald, Terang, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Australia in 1851, landing at Geelong. About 1863 he purchased land in the parish of Kolora, where he took up his abode, and has since remained, carrying on the avocation of a grazier. He recently paid a visit to Scotland. His son, Mr. Norman M’Kenzie, was born in Scotland, and came to Australia with his parents. He is now in possession of the property. Mr. N. M’Kenzie was married in 1877, and has a family of three sons and three daughters.
M‘Kinnon, Archibald, Mortlake, is a native of the Isle of Skye, Scotland, who came to Australia and landed at Geelong in 1852, going thence to Hexham, where he lived four years, carrying on farming. He then removed to Mortlake, and purchased the land on which he now resides, conducting the business of a grazier and farmer. Mr. M’Kinnon was married in Scotland, and has a family of three sons and two daughters.
Mackinnon, Daniel, Terang, was born in the island of Arran, Scotland, and arrived in Melbourne in September, 1839, by the ship Caledonia, the first vessel to sail direct from Scotland to that port. He took up a station at Mordialloc, in conjunction with the late Major Fraser, and, after remaining there nine months, proceeded to the Camperdown district in 1840, and entered into partnership with Dr. Curdie, that partnership existing for about three years, when he purchased the Jancourt Station, some few miles south of Camperdown. In 1852 he purchased the Manda Yalloak Station, near Terang, where he now resides, and carries on grazing.
M’Mahon, John, Kariah, was born in the county Clare, Ireland, and came to Australia with his parents in 1851, landing in Melbourne. The family removed to Perracoutta Station, near Moama, N.S.W., and, after remaining there one year, returned to Victoria, and settled in Geelong for seven years. His father, the late Mr. James M’Mahon, purchased some land near Winchelsea, and remained there four years. He then sold the property and removed to Birregurra, where he carried on farming for a few years. In 1865 he came to the Camperdown district, and selected land in the parish of Kariah, where he remained until his death, in October, 1883, leaving a widow and four sons and a daughter. Mr. John M’Mahon married in 1867, and has a family of six sons and one daughter.
M’Nicol, Donald, Camperdown, is a native of Argyleshire, Scotland, who arrived in Victoria in November, 1839, and landed at Williamstown with the late Mr. Neil Black. He first went to Ballarat for about three months, and in February, 1840, proceeded to the Western District, and remained there with Mr. Black for about ten years. At the expiration of that time he purchased the Woorong Station, and carried on grazing until 1874, when he sold the property to Mr. Thomas Shaw. Mr. M’Nicol now resides on a part of the estate. Mr. M’Nicol’s son, William, was the first white child born in the district, 8th February, 1841.
M’Nicol, Duncan, Camperdown, is an early pioneer of the district, who arrived per ship Ariadne, at Williamstown, in October, 1839, from whence he went to Glenormiston with the late Hon. Neil Black, and remained five years in his employ, after which he went into partnership with his brother Donald, and purchased a station at Timboon from Mr. Lloyd, on a portion of which he still resides. The first store in the district was opened by Messrs. D. and D. M’Nicol about 1848, and they also kept the post-office.
M’William, David, Terang, was born in Wigtonshire, Scotland, in 1814, and arrived in Melbourne in 1840, staying there about five years, after which he went to Port Fairy, and remained a few years. In 1856 he went to Terang, where he has been ever since engaged in grazing pursuits, and where he makes a speciality of breeding hack and trotting horse stock.
Manifold Bros., Camperdown (deceased). These gentlemen, three in number, were undoubtedly the pioneers of the now wealthy and important district of Camperdown. So far back as about the year 1838 they took up a vast area of land there for grazing purposes, and saw the growth of the district from a desert wilderness into — first, a magnificent pastoral territory, feeding countless flocks and herds; and later into a smiling tract of agricultural country, dotted with towns and villages, and with the homesteads of well-to-do farmers. The home station of the Manifold brothers is known as Purrumbete. It lies on the north shore of the splendid fresh-water lake of that name, about six miles east of Camperdown township, and is one of the finest estates in the Western District. Mr. Thomas Manifold died about 1871; Mr. John in January, 1877; and Mr. Peter on 31st July, 1885.
Manson, William, Mortlake, is a native of the colony, born in Richmond, near Melbourne, in 1853. In 1883 he went to Mortlake, and purchased the Mortlake Despatch, a newspaper established in 1869 by Mr. E. F. Hughes, and afterwards carried on by Mr. J. R. Baird, from whom Mr. Manson bought it. Mr. Manson is secretary to the Mortlake cemetery, which was established in April, 1866, and is also secretary to the local rifle club. The Mortlake Despatch is a bi-weekly newspaper, having a large circulation in that and the surrounding neighbourhoods.
Matthews, William, Kolora, born in Redruth, Cornwall, England, arrived in Australia in 1848 with his parents, who first settled down in South Australia at the Burra Burra copper mines, and remained there three years, after which they came to Victoria in the beginning of 1852. Mr. Matthews then followed gold-digging at Bendigo for eighteen months, and in July, 1853, went to Creswick. In January, 1855, he commenced store-keeping, and kept an hotel. He purchased land at Coghill’s Creek in January, 1857, where he carried on business for eighteen years. In 1875 he removed to Glenormiston, where he has resided since, carrying on the business of a grazier.
Mawbey, Henry, Terang, was born in Surrey, England, and arrived in 1837, at Port Phillip, where he lived for two years. He then formed a station at Mount Macedon, and, returning to Melbourne, resided at Brighton. Mr. Mawbey started the first public conveyance in Port Phillip, running between Melbourne and Brighton. He also carried on a butcher’s business in Melbourne until after the gold diggings broke out. After a residence of some years in Warrnambool, Mr. Mawbey settled down in Terang, where he carries on the business of a commission agent, &c.
Moodie, Alexander, Camperdown, was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and came to Australia in 1852, landing at Geelong, and proceeding the same year to the late Mr. J. G. Ware’s estate, where he remained twenty-four years, part of the time on the homestead, and the balance on the dairy station. In 1876 he married a daughter of Mr. Duncan M’Nicol.
Morris, James S., Camperdown, was born in London in 1832, and came to Australia, landing in Tasmania in 1842, and remaining there six years. He was apprenticed in Hobart, and after serving about three years and a half, he went with his master to New Zealand, and finished his apprentice ship of seven years in Wellington. He stayed there until 1852, when he came to Victoria, landing at Geelong, and proceeding to Camperdown about 1857. In 1862 he commenced business as a general blacksmith, in which capacity he is still engaged.
Mountjoy, Thomas, Lorne. This gentleman, one of the first and best-known residents of the fashionable watering-place, Lorne, is a native of Cornwall, England, who arrived in Melbourne in 1853, and settled at Geelong. After a year on the goldfields, he commenced farming, with his brother Caleb, on the Barrabool Hills, and carried it on for ten years. In 1864 they went to Loutitt Bay, now Lorne, and, in 1868, started a Temperance Hotel, which they have conducted successfully ever since, and in which they have ample accommodation foi- 150 visitors. The brothers Mountjoy erected the first house in the district. They run a daily mail coach in summer between Birregurra railway station and Lorne; thrice a week in winter. Besides conducting the hotel, Mountjoy Bros. own 4795 acres of land in the parish of Bambra, on which they carry on grazing, and 4000 acres near Echuca, parish of Turrumbury.
Murray, Andrew, Colac. This gentleman was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and, with his parents, emigrated to Tasmania in 1822, landing in Hobartown. He remained in Tasmania eighteen years, spending the first nine years in the country, and the remainder in Hobartown. In January, 1840, he came over to Victoria, going from Melbourne to Geelong overland. Thence he proceeded to Colac, and entered into partnership with his brother Hugh, which partnership lasted for seven or eight years. During this time they took up the Wool Wool Station, and in 1848 Mr. A. Murray settled there, and has carried on grazing ever since. Mr. Murray was the first settler in that part of the country, which consisted then, as now, mostly of open plains, only there were, of course, no buildings nor fences to be seen. About 1844 the first place of worship, a Presbyterian church, was opened in Colac, the Rev. Mr. Gow being the minister.
Murray, Hugh, Colac (deceased), was born in Scotland, and came out to Tasmania with his parents in 1832, landing at Hobartown. He reached Victoria in 1836, and settled down near Winchelsea, where he remained for six months. During this time a party was organised to go out in search of Gellibrand and Hesse, who had started on an exploring expedition; and, passing on in quest of the lost men, the party came in view of Lake Colac and the surrounding country. Seeing a large number of blacks carrying pieces of flesh on their spears, the party became alarmed, and retreated to Mr. Murray’s camp with all speed, informing him of the lovely country they had seen, the splendid lake, and the abundance of game of all kinds. On this he and his party started at once, found and took up the country, of which he may well be considered the pioneer; and he took up his abode there and remained until his death. Ten years after his settlement Colac was a favourite haunt of the blacks. At first they were hostile, and harried the flocks with their dogs; but the resolute stand made by Mr. Murray, who went among some hundreds of them camped near the sheepfold and shot a number of their yelping curs that had caused such devastation amongst the pure and high-priced ewes, taken with such trouble to Colac, made the blacks appreciate the situation and decamp. In a short time the natives became friendly, and some of the younger ones made useful servants; one, named Jim Crow, remaining with Mr. Murray until his death. Mr. Murray was the first justice of the peace in the district, and was president of the shire council until his decease. He died in July, 1869, deeply regretted by all classes of the community. In 1841 he married Miss Elizabeth Young, and left a large family of sons and two daughters. See MURRAY, ELIZABETH.
Murray, Mrs. Elizabeth, Colac. This lady is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, born 23rd March, 1823. She came out with her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Young, to Tasmania at an early date. She married the late Mr. Hugh Murray, the pioneer of the Colac district, in 1841, and has resided in that district ever since. Mrs. Murray was only eighteen years of age when she first went to Colac. Her name, like that of her late husband, is intimately identified with the rise and progress of the place, and she has always evinced a great interest in all things tending to its advancement. Notably was she at the head of the movement for the establishment of the Colac library.
Murrell, Findon, Winchelsea, was born in England, and arrived in Australia in 1852. He went first to the Bendigo diggings, and followed gold-mining six years with varying success. In 1858 he went to Inverell, N.S.W., and remained there until 1861, when he settled in Winchelsea, opened a general store, and has carried it on ever since. In 1866 he was elected a member of the shire council of Winchelsea, and still holds the office. He occupied the president’s chair for two years, and was appointed a justice of the peace, which position he retained two years, but resigned on account of being in business.
Nelan, Rev. M., Colac, was born in 1840 in county Kerry, Ireland, and came to Victoria in November, 1863. He was first located in Gippsland for six months, after which he was appointed to assist the Rev. Father Fennelly at the Roman Catholic Mission of Carisbrook, and remained there six months. He was then, in November, 1864, appointed by the late Bishop Goold to the charge of the Colac Mission, which at that time included Mount Moriac and other places, and lived at Mount Moriac for nine years, for the reason that the presbytery was erected there. In 1873 he went to reside in Colac, having previously purchased ground from the Crown, and built a new presbytery at a cost of £2200. The handsome new church was erected about 1883, and cost £3613, and it is gratifying to know that both presbytery and church are out of debt. There is also a Catholic school in the Colac parish, the number of children on the roll being 120. There are other Catholic schools in other parts of the district. Several religious societies have been established by the pastor in this mission, and the attendance of the people at sacraments is remarkable. Father Nelan has two other brothers priests in Victoria, and two only sisters who are nuns at Geelong and Elsternwick respectively. The Rev. M. Nelan has also charge of Ondit, Birregurra, and Camperdown. At Ondit is a stone church which cost £1200; at the other places are wooden structures, and all free of debt.
Nicholas, William, Colac, was born in Bristol, England, in 1812, and emigrated to Tasmania in 1825, remaining there eight or nine years, when he came to Victoria, and engaged with the Henty family for six months. He then revisited Tasmania, but returned to Victoria, where he carried on brick-making and other pursuits. After a short engagement with Mr. Russell he went to the Colac district, where he was engaged with Mr. Hugh Murray and others, and has lived in the neighbourhood ever since, purchasing land and building himself a house on an allotment formerly owned by Mr. Moody. In April, 1845, he married Martha Davies, and has a family of four sons and two daughters.
O’Flaherty, Edward, Cobden, born in Meenafrafan county Tyrone, Ireland, in 1843, who was intended for a profession, arrived in Australia in 1860, landing at Adelaide, S.A. Thence he went to Ballarat, where he lived three years, being engaged on the goldfield there. He next visited New South Wales and New Zealand, remaining in those places twelve and eighteen months respectively. In 1871, having previously returned to Victoria, he went home, and spent eighteen months in Ireland, after which he came back to Victoria, and eventually settled in the Camperdown district, where he carries on a general store in conjunction with grazing.
Parker, George, Camperdown, is a native of Shottley Bridge, England, who served a seven years’ apprenticeship to the paper-making business with Mr. Peter Annaldole, of Shottley Grove, England. He came out to Australia in 1856, and landed at Williamstown, proceeding from Melbourne to Camperdown, where he has resided ever since. He kept a boarding-house and a bakery up to 1883, and in 1885 opened a boot and shoe store, where he now carries on business.
Prigg, Charles, Colac, is a native of England, who landed in Melbourne in 1848, went to Colac the same year, and engaged with Mr. William Robertson for three months. He then entered on farming pursuits, and met with heavy losses from what, in those days, were not uncommon — floods and fires. In 1859 he commenced contracting. He made the first metalled road in Colac, and took contracts from the Government prior to the establishment of the shire council. In 1862 he had contracts to the amount of over £4000. When Mr. Prigg went there, in 1848, the blacks were very numerous in the district, and not unfrequently troublesome; on one occasion there were about 350 of them assembled on Mr. Robertson’s station. Mr. Prigg commenced brick-making in 1870, and still carries on the business.
Prime, Isaac Hayden, J.P., Birregurra, is an old resident in the colonies, having come out to New Zealand so far back as 1848, and thence to New South Wales in 1851. He left that colony for the Ovens gold field, and after a time went to Bendigo. In 1853 he left Melbourne on a trip through North and South America to England, where he spent a few months, returning to Victoria in 1855. He then followed mining avocations, and also conducted a saw mill business for three or four years. In 1859 he settled in the Western District, in the parish of Murroon, about nine miles south of Birregurra, where he has resided since as a grazier. In 1864 he was elected a member of the Winchelsea shire council, and in 1870 occupied the presidential chair. He is a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick. Mr. Prime is a native of Essex, England.
Quiney, Harry, Mortlake, is a native of England, born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England, in 1847. He arrived in Victoria with his father in 1849, and stayed with him until 1863. In 1868 he visited New Zealand, returning to his father, in Victoria, the following year, and remaining with him until 1883, when he leased Mac’s Hotel at Mortlake, subsequently purchasing it in 1885, and now conducting it. This hotel was started by Mr. A. M’Donald in 1858, and afterwards passed successively into the hands of Mr. Jones, Mr. Andrew Fogarty, and Mr. J. Quiney, father of Mr. Harry Quiney, from whom the latter bought it in 1885. All the district coaches stop at and start from this hotel.
Robertson, William, sen., Colac (deceased), was born on a sheep farm at Alvey, Inverness, Scotland, in 1798, and was brought up there until he reached man’s estate, acquiring that practical knowledge which was of so much benefit to him in after years as a colonist, and which aided him in amassing a large fortune. In 1822 he emigrated to Tasmania with his brother John, and carried with him sufficient capital to enable him to select, as a freehold, 2500 acres of land near Campbelltown, in that colony, as well as to occupy a large area of Crown lands as a cattle run. The brothers remained there for ten years, steadily prospering in spite of the fluctuations of seasons and markets, of troubles with the blacks and the bushrangers, and of other adverse circumstances. In 1832 they settled, as merchants, in Hobartown, after selling the property at Campbelltown, which had, by their exertions, become so valuable. In 1842 Mr. Robertson came over to Victoria, and purchased the Colac property, and the now famous brand, from Captain Foster Fyans, since when, by his importations of pure bred stock, he so greatly improved and extended the herd, that, in the hands of himself and his sons, it has risen to the proud position of being one of the most celebrated, extensive, and valuable herds in Australia.
Robertson, Hon. William, jun. M.L.C., Colac. This gentleman was born in Tasmania in 1839, and was educated at the High school, Hobartown. He then took his degree at Oxford, in England, in 1862, and was called to the bar of the Middle Temple the following year. He rowed in the Oxford and Cambridge boat race, on the Thames, in 1861, and was in the winning crew of that year, being the first Australian youngster associated with the victors in those world-renowned struggles for supremacy between the two Universities. Mr. Robertson returned to Victoria in 1863, and practised at the bar for eight or nine years, after which he joined his father on the Colac property, where he now resides. He was president of the Colac shire council in 1877, and at present represents the South-Western Province in the Legislative Council. Mr. Robertson’s residence, which is shown on the opposite page, is very charmingly situated.
“The Hill” Residence of the Hon. William Robertson, M.L.C., Near Colac
Robinson, John H., Camperdown, came to Australia in 1864, landing at Williamstown, and remaining about a year in Melbourne, after which he went to Camperdown, and purchased a general store, where he has conducted business ever since. At that time the goods had to be carted from Geelong, a distance of seventy-six miles, at a charge of £5 per ton for carriage, whereas at present the charge from Melbourne by rail is only £2 per ton. Amongst other matters, Mr. Robinson has taken a lively interest in the erection of the Mechanics’ Hall and Institute, which was built in 1871, at a cost of £1600o. When Mr. Robinson was first in Camperdown there were but two coaches passing through the township in a week, the postage on a letter was 4d., and the charge for a telegram of ten words 3s.
Rooke, John G., Lorne, is a native of Chester, England (and nephew of the late Alderman Thomas Griffith, sheriff of that city for a long period), born in 1821. As an engineer, he spent several years on the sugar estates in Brazil. Vent home from that country to visit the Hyde Park Exhibition in 1851. Left England for Sydney in the latter part of that year, and thence to Victoria early in 1852. Was mining on Bendigo and other goldfields until 1855, when he erected mining plants on that and Rushworth diggings, at which place he was hotel-keeping and had a quartz-crushing plant many years. In 1868 he went to Corop and built the Corop Hotel and an agricultural implement factory, and carried on business there until 1883, when he sold the property and became proprietor of the Lorne Hotel, a favourite place of residence for visitors to that well-known watering-place.
Scally, Patrick, Terang, was born in the county of West Meath, Ireland. He arrived in Melbourne in 1858, and was engaged in various pursuits until 1861, when he selected land under the Heales occupation license in the parish of Glenormiston, where he now resides, carrying on grazing and dairy-farming. He was married in 1864, and has a family of three sons and two daughters.
Scott, Thomas A., Pirron Yalloak, was born in Scotland, and came out to Australia with his parents in 1854. Archer and Henry were the first to introduce stage coaches from Geelong to Colac and Camperdown, and Mr. T. A. Scott’s father, the late Mr. John Scott, was connected with the coaching business for twenty years, and had the honour of driving H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh from Geelong to Colac, Camperdown, Mortlake, and other places in the Western District, during his visit to Victoria. He had a livery stable in Geelong, and kept some racehorses, amongst others the famous steeplechaser Chance, the winner of so many races. Mr. J. Scott died in 1882 at Colac, but his son, Mr. T. A. Scott, continued the coaching until that mode of conveyance was superseded by the railway. He then took to grazing at his present residence, which was formerly occupied by the late Mr. Angus Mackay, an old colonist, who died in 1872. In 1881 Mr. Scott married Miss J. Mackay, daughter of the gentleman just referred to.
Shaw, Thomas, J.P., Camperdown, was horn in Birstal, Yorkshire, England, and came out to Sydney, N.S.W., in 1843. In 1847 he travelled overland with cattle to Adelaide, S.A., and, coming to Victoria the same year, he arrived at Portland. The property held for grazing purposes by Mr. Shaw was originally taken up by the late J. G. Ware, who sold to Messrs. Oliphant and Robertson. In 1854 Mr. Shaw, in Conjunction with the late Thomas Anderson, purchased the property, which is known as Wooriwyrite. Mr. Shaw was twenty years in the Mortlake shire council, and is also a member of the shire council of Hampden. About 1860 he was appointed a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick, which position he still occupies.
Silvester, Mrs. H., Cobden, widow of the late Mr. William Silvester, butcher, of Cobden, was born in Somersetshire, England, and came to Australia in 1855, landing at Geelong. She and her husband lived at Dr. Curdie’s station for eighteen months, and then went to Jancourt Station for a time, after which they removed to Cobden (then called Lovely Banks), where her husband built the second house in the place, and started as a butcher in 1870, a business he carried on until his death, 29th July, 1877. About 1870 a public school was erected, the chief promoters being Mr. William Silvester, Mr. C. Parrott, and others.
Stansmore, F. and N., Brothers, Camperdown, Warrnambool, and Terang. These gentlemen, who are proprietors of livery stables at the places around, originally established their business at Campberdown in 1872; in 1183 the Warrnambool branch was opened, and that was followed early in 1887 by the branch at Terang. This one of the largest businesses of its kind in the Western District, having from forty to fifty horses always in or ready for use, and being fully equipped with all the requirements of the business.
Stevenson, John, Camperdown, was born in Lochwinnoch, Scotland, and brought up in Greenock. He came to Australia in 1852, proceeding to Camperdown the same year, and being employed on Mr. R. D. Scott’s surveying party for about five years. He then took charge of a store in Terang for Mr Paton, and remained there two years, being also in that gentleman’s employ three years in Camperdown. About 1859 Mr. Stevenson and Mr. Douglas built the Leura Hotel, the first in Camperdown, and afterwards sold it to Mr. D. S. Walker. In 1865 Mr. Stevenson purchased Mr. Paton’s business, and in 1870, in conjunction with Mr. Vallace, he purchased the Cape Otway Station. Mr. Wallace selling out his interest to Mr. Walls, the firm was known as Stevenson and Walls for about nine years, when they sold the station to Mr. P. H. Fisher. Mr. Stevenson then returned to Camperdown, and purchased the general storekeeping business from Mr. J. B. Tait, which, with Mr. William Henderson, he is now carrying on.
Stirling, William, J.P., Winchelsea, is an old resident of the Southern and Western districts of Victoria, who came out from his native place, Scotland, with his parents in 1842, by the ship Robert Bruce, landing in Port Phillip. After a time he went to Geelong, and in 1846 commenced hawking, carrying it on till 1851, when, at the outbreak of the gold mines at Ballarat, he opened a store there, as also at Forest and Fryers Creeks. In 1853 he purchased the Barwon Hotel at Winchelsea from Elliott Bros.; also the general store, which he still conducts. Mr. Stirling took an active part in establishing the Winchelsea road board in 1860, and has been a member of that and of the shire council ever since. He has held the presidential chair several times, and in 1865 was appointed a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick, a position he still retains.
Stocks, John, Terang, was born in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England, and arrived in Melbourne in January, 1861. He first proceeded to Warrnambool, and thence to Wangoom, where he remained for a time, and was then two years at Terang. He next visited New Zealand for about a year, and, returning to Victoria, purchased land in 1868, and selected in 1871 near Terang, where he has since resided as a grazier, and carried on dairy-farming until 1885.
Swan, Peter, Pomborneit, is a native of Sweden, born in 1832. He came out to Australia in 1856, landed at Geelong, and proceeded to the Camperdown district the same year, and has followed his trade of stone-cutter and builder ever since. In 1865 Messrs. Swan and Hallyburton took up 472 acres of land, and continued in partnership for two years. In 1869 Mr. Swan removed to Warrnambool, where he lived ten years, after which he returned to Pomborneit, and settled on the land referred to, where he now follows agricultural pursuits. He was married in 1858, and has a family of three sons and as many daughters.
Talbot, Samuel, Birregurra, was for nine years station-manager for Mr. J. Austin, having been most of the time located at the Yeo Station, near Colac. In October, 1863, he was married at Melbourne, and purchasing 1197 acres of land at Yeo Vale, near Birregurra, settled down to grazing pursuits. Mr. Talbot is a native of Somersetshire, England, and landed at Melbourne in 1853.
Taylor, Walter, Pirron Yalloak, was born in Scotland, and arrived in Melbourne in 1857. He went thence to Dr. Curdie’s at Camperdown, and remained there eleven years. About 1867 he selected, and afterwards purchased the farm where he now resides and carries on his business of grazier. At that time the land was covered with bush, but Mr. Taylor has cleared and fenced since a school was started in the district, of who was drowned in Lake Colac, was the first family of three sons and two daughters.
Tenanty, Patrick, Terang, is a son of the late Mr. Tenanty, who was born in the county Louth, Ireland, arrived in Australia in 1854, landing at Melbourne, and followed gold digging for about six months. He then engaged in his trade of general carpenter for two or three years, after which he purchased land near Geelong, also leased half a section, and carried on dairy-farming for five years, at the expiration of which time he purchased land on Lake Keilambete, near Terang, and resided on it until his death, in July, 1876. Mr. P. Tenanty now occupies the property, and carries on grazing.
Thomas, Daniel, Colac, was born in England in 1832, and came to Victoria in 1853, settling first in South Yarra, where he commenced the leather trade, after which he was engaged in a leather shop in Collins-street, Melbourne. In 1858 he removed to Geelong, and took charge of a business there, which business he afterwards purchased and carried on until 1864. During that period he bought a tannery at Colac, in 1862, sold his business in Geelong, and conducted that in Colac until 1872, when he sold it also, and purchased land in the latter place, on which he now carries on grazing. In 1864 he was elected a member of the local shire council, and remained in office for three years, when he resigned, being re-elected in 1877, and is still a member. He was president of the council for the years 1882-83, and again for 1885 Mr. Thomas has always taken a lively interest in matters affecting the public interest, and a prominent part in establishing the Oddfellows’ lodge, the local Hospital, and the Public Library. During his presidentship, in 1883, the shire council organised an expedition party to explore the Otway forest, with a view to bring the quality of the timber under the notice of the Government, and, through the report of that expedition, selection has extensively gone on in that part of the colony. Mr. Thomas has been twice married, and has a family of three sons and four daughters.
Thomson, John, J.P., Terang, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and arrived in Tasmania, then known as Van Diemen’s Land, in 1823. He crossed to Port Phillip in 1839, and squatted on Lake Keilambete in February, 1840. The country was then in its natural state, Mr. Thomson being the original settler on the land, and there being then only eight settlers in the neighbourhood. He has expended 40,000 in improvements on his station, his present residence being the first brick house built in the district. He was appointed a magistrate in 1840, and still holds that office. The first church in Terang was erected by the Bible Christian denomination, and was opened in the year 1863; and this denomination was followed in succession by the Presbyterians, who have lately built a manse costing £4500, and by the Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Churches. Terang also possesses a large Public Hall with a free library.
Troy, Michael, Ondit, was born in Ireland, and came out to Victoria, in 1852, with his parents. The family first went to Mr. Charles Beal’s, at Mount Gellibrand, where they stayed twelve months, and then to Mr. John Calvert’s, near Colac, where they were nearly four years. They then rented land from Mr. Calvert, and carried on dairy-farming for three years, until the first Land Act came in force, when Mr. M. Troy’s father, the late John Troy, selected 160 acres, and farmed the land until his death in December, 1862, when the sons worked it in company for a time. Mr. M. Troy remained on the old homestead, where he still resides. He was married about 1874, and has a family consisting of four sons and five daughters.
Truemen, Timothy, Cobden, is a native of Birmingham, England, who arrived in Australia in 1847, landing at Geelong. He first removed to Colac, where he spent four years, and then followed the avocation of a gold-digger at Ballarat for three years, after which he lived for a similar length of time in Geelong. About 1859 he went to South Purrumbete, and in 1865 purchased his present property, where he carries on grazing and dairy-farming.
Tulloh, Thomas E., Colac, is a native of Scotland, who arrived in Tasmania in 1841. Thence he made his way to Portland, in the Western District of Victoria at the time when Mr. Henty and his family and servants were the only residents in that part of the country. Mr. Tulloh took sheep over from Tasmania, and, shortly after he arrived at Portland, took up country about sixty miles inland. He discovered the Wannon Falls, and afterwards took up the run which included those Falls, and remained there about fourteen years. He next went to the Goulburn Valley district and took up a station, remaining on it seven years. Eventually he settled in Colac as a general storekeeper, which business he still carries on.
Walker, Duncan Stewart, J.P., Terang, is a native of Cantyre, Argyleshire, Scotland, born in 1827, and the son of a farmer. His father died when he was a child, and with his mother and the rest of the family he came out to Port Phillip a few years after, being then in his thirteenth year, and landed at Geelong, or, as it was then called, Corio, in 1841. In those early days Geelong consisted of a few houses, scattered along the bay without much regard to order, there being no defined streets. Nevertheless, there were several places of business and three hotels, namely, Mack’s, the Commercial, and the Thistle. What is now known as the Market-square was then an extensive swamp, the haunt of wild ducks and other aquatic birds. Mr. Walker’s first employment was on the station of Dr. Alexander Thomson, at one time mayor of Geelong, and then a squatter. After remaining there until 1851, he became partner in a tanning and currier’s business on the banks of the Barwon River, and was doing well, when one of the heaviest floods ever known in the district came down and swept the entire concern away, leaving, as a matter of fact, only the tanpits, the dwelling-house, which stood on high ground, and a favourite horse, which was taken into the house, and, after demolishing the furniture, had to be released through the roof. Subsequent to this, Mr. Walker removed to Lismore, and, after a short residence at that place, became proprietor of the well-known Leura Hotel, at Camperdown, which he conducted successfully for some years, and which he established as one of the most popular houses in the Western District of Victoria. He next, in conjunction with another gentleman, purchased the “Dixie” Estate, near Terang, afterwards be coming sole proprietor. Here he resided several years, during which time, in deference to the wishes of his fellow ratepayers in the west riding of the shire of Hampden, he, in 1870, became their representative in the council, and has held his seat ever since. In 1886 he was elected to the honourable position of president, which position he still holds. Mr. Walker is one of the few pioneers of the colony still left. He was married in 1853 to a sister of his then partner in the tannery at Geelong, by the Rev. Andrew Love, the first minister in that part of the colony. Mr. Walker holds Her Majesty’s commission of the peace for the western bailiwick.
Walls, John, J.P., Camperdown, was born in Blairlogie, Clackmannan shire, Scotland, and came out to Australia in 1852, remaining in Melbourne twelve months, and commencing business in Camperdown, in 1853, as a blacksmith and wheelwright, which occupation he has carried on ever since. At the time he commenced there was but one house, owned by Mr. Fenton, in the township. Mr. Walls was elected a member of the first road board formed in Hampden, in 1857, and, with the exception of two years, has occupied office ever since in that body, and in the shire council, formed in 1853. He has twice filled the president’s chair, and is a justice of the peace for the southern bailiwick. He has also been vice-president and trustee of the Temperance Hall since it was started in 1854. Mr. Walls acted for eight years as postmaster in Camperdown.
Ware, J. G., Camperdown, is a native of Victoria, born in Camperdown, and is the proprietor of the Koort-Koort-Nong, or Cloven Hills Station, on Lake Bookar, about twelve miles north of Camperdown, where he carries on grazing. Mr. Ware has also a place in the Warrnambool district.
Wilmot, George, Colac, was born in Tasmania, and came to Victoria in 1869. He lived in Melbourne about a year, when he went to Colac, and commenced the cordial-manufacturing business about 1877, and has carried it on ever since. Mr. Wilmot was elected master of the Warrion lodge, No. 2010 E.C., in March, 1887.
Wilson, Alexander, Terang, was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, and came to Melbourne in 1840 by the ship Isabella Watson, of Glasgow. He went to Timboon (now Camperdown) and, after a brief stay, took up a station for the Clyde Company, at Hopkins Hill near Chatsworth, which is now owned by Mr. Moffatt, remaining there about three years. He next spent about three years at Geelong, and about the same length of time in Melbourne, after which he lived on the Yalloak Station, at Westernport, for two years, and was after that on the diggings about eighteen months. In 1865 he purchased land at Terang, and has carried on the agricultural and grazing industry on it ever since. Mr. Wilson makes a specialty of breeding Clydesdale and blood horses.
Wilson, P.C., Colac. This gentleman was born in Scotland on the 21st June, 1831, finished his education at Glasgow University, and came out to Australia in 1854. He followed various pursuits up to 1872, but went to Colac in 1856, and married a daughter of the late Donald Cameron, whose widow still resides on the property. In 1864 he was appointed secretary of the shire council of Colac, and in 1872 was reappointed, and has held the position ever since. He is also secretary to the Hospital, and correspondent of the School Board of Advice. Mr. Wilson has always taken a lively interest in all matters tending to promote the interests of the district. His family consists of three sons and five daughters. The eldest son is in the Railway department, and the second in the office of Messrs. Dennys, Lascelles, Austin and Co., Geelong.
Wiltshire, George, Winchelsea. This gentleman is a very old resident of the neighbourhood, in which he still resides. He came to Australia in 1848 from Nova Scotia, British America, his native place, landing at Geelong, and lived for a time with Mr. Armytage, at Ingleby Station, near Winchelsea. In 1853 he purchased land at Winchelsea, erected buildings thereon, and has been engaged in grazing pursuits ever since. Mr. Wiltshire was one of the first to get the petition signed for the formation of a road board at Winchelsea, and has been connected with the shire council, more or less, since its establishment. He is at present a representative of the west riding in that body.
Woods, J., Colac. The father of this gentleman is one of the oldest colonists in the Colac district. He arrived in Victoria in 1840, and took up his residence on the Barrabool hills, near Geelong, where he carried on farming for a few years. Then he and his brother-in-law, Mr. John Trotter, bought a station in the Camperdown district, where, after a few years, Mr. Woods sen. sold his interest to Mr. Trotter, and in 1852 went to Colac and purchased the flour mill of Mr. Thomas Hill, which he worked for some time, and subsequently sold it to Mr. Hill. He then carried on farming for a number of years, and still resides in Colac, in his eighty-first year. In 1866 the Colac Observer newspaper, the first in the district, was established by Mr. T. Haslam, and in 1869 Mr. Woods jun. started the Colac Herald, and subsequently bought the Observer, and has carried on the enterprise ever since. Mr. J. Woods was the first to introduce a printing machine, and afterwards the first gas-engine worked in the district.
Wray, John, Colac, is a native of Geelong, who went to Colac when only six years of age, with his parents. At that time there was only a hotel and a small store in the township. In 1864 he went to Wool Wool Station as manager for Mr. Andrew Murray, and remained there sixteen years. During that time he purchased the property on which he now carries on his business of grazier, having cleared and fenced it. He was married in 1879, and has a family of two daughters.