The eight buildings that make up what is now referred to as the Treasury Building are regarded as the most significant in Tasmania’s administrative history, including the oldest Supreme Court in Australia (built 1824). Over the following century, another seven buildings were constructed, including the Police and Convict Office in 1835 and Public Offices in 1841, both of which were designed by colonial architect John Lee Archer. The latter, constructed by convict James Blackburn, was the first public building to house the Treasurer of Van Diemen’s Land. The complex has also housed offices for the Attorney-General, the Chief Justice, the Premier and various government ministers. [Open House Hobart]
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Public Buildings, Macquarie Street, Hobart
Colourised and enhanced photo showing the Public Buildings on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, Hobart, looking east down Macquarie street, with the former government offices and court buildings in the foreground, then George’s (now Franklin) Square, followed by the Town Hall and Museum in the distance – circa 1868.