Construction of the Town Hall began in 1864, with the foundation stone laid on April 14. The day was declared a public holiday and celebrated by a parade. The Town Hall was completed two years later in September 1866, which was celebrated by another public holiday and a gala ball. The design by Henry Hunter was somewhat inspired by the Palazzo Farnese in Rome. At the time of construction, it was designed to house the City of Hobart’s council chambers, as well as police offices, the municipal court and the State Library of Tasmania. These remained in use for nearly fifty years after the town hall was opened. Hobart Town Hall and Franklin Square were built on the site of the former government house which had been demolished upon completion of the present government house.
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Town Hall, Hobart
Colourised photo showing Hobart Town Hall, which also housed the police offices, municipal court and the State Library of Tasmania – circa 1868.