St Mary’s Hospital was started by Dr Edward Samuel Pickard Bedford (1809-1876), the younger son of Rev. William Bedford. It opened on 1 January 1841 as a subscription hospital, especially for the ‘labouring classes’, under a committee of management, and 5 trustees, with Dr Bedford as the medical officer. It was originally situated in Campbell Street but a new building was erected in Davey Street (corner of Davey & Salamanca Place) and opened about 1849. Bedford hoped in 1856 to make the hospital a training school but recognition was not granted by the Royal College of Surgeons and the hospital declined and was closed in 1862 due to a lack of financial support. Dr Bedford then moved to Sydney and became the medical adviser to the N.S.W. government. Dr Bedford was a founder member and keen supporter of the Royal Society of Tasmania. [St Mary’s Hospital, Hobart. 1841-1862]
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Government Survey and Printing Offices, Hobart
Colourised and enhanced photo showing the Government Survey and Printing Offices. The building was formerly St Mary’s Hospital.