St. Jude’s Church, Carlton (Reed and Barnes Architects)
The foundation stone of St. Jude’s Church was laid by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne, on the 18th of October, 1866; and that portion of the building now erected was opened for public worship on the 3rd of March, 1867, being within a year of the time when the congregation first met in the small weatherboard school-room adjoining to celebrate Divine worship, according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.
The site of the church is the most elevated in Carlton and commands extensive views of the surrounding country. It is about half an acre in extent and was granted to the trustees by the Crown.
The style of architecture of the church, the first of its kind in Melbourne, is the pointed Gothic of Italy, or Lombardio; and is built of brick, which is economical and substantial. The general structure consists of Hawthorn bricks, relieved with red and white quoins, arches, tracery, and other ornaments. Freestone is lofty and spacious. The chancel measures 23 feet by 12 feet; the vestry, 12 feet square. The nave, when completed, will measure 80 feet in length, its width is 42 feet, and the highest point from floor to ceiling is 44 feet. The tower, serving also as an entrance porch, 135 feet high to the top of the roof. The artists were Messrs Ferguson, Urie and Lyon, who obtained great credit at the recent Intercolonial Exhibition.
The reading desk is surmounted by what may ultimately form the upper portion of a lectern, namely, a displayed eagle, designed and beautifully carved in cedar by its generous donor, Mr Felix sparingly used for springers, drips, &c, and the roof is covered with slate of different tints and forms. The exterior is very tasteful and effective, and satisfies the judgment of the most critical spectator. The interior of the portion erected (being the chancel and part of the nave) windows are glazed with Cathedral glass, and neatly bordered with stained glass. The chancel window, which is of beautiful proportions, is further ornamented with the emblems of Faith, Hope and Charity, chaste in design, brilliant in colouring, and effective in execution. Terlecki, a wood carver of artistic reputation.
Another liberal friend, Mr C. C. Tewster, an amateur sculptor, designed and executed in Charente stone, and presented the beautiful baptismal font. A bell has also been kindly presented to the church by Mr Lee. of Bourke-street. It is gratifying to observe these instances of religious liberality to the Church, which evince that love for her which is so often manifested by our countrymen wherever they may sojourn. Messrs Reed and Barnes are the architects, and Mr John Pigdon, of Carlton, is the builder. The church organisation of St. Jude is faithfully and zealously sustained by the esteemed pastor, Rev. C. Stuart Perry.
Source: St. Jude’s Church, Carlton (1867, July 20). Illustrated Australian News for Home Readers (Melbourne, Vic. : 1867 – 1875), p. 4.