NSW Government Meat-Market, Darling Harbour, Sydney 1895
Excerpt of an article written by Cuthbert Fetherstonhaugh published in “New South Wales: the mother colony of the Australia” in 1896.
The export of meat from New South Wales is almost a new departure, and was forced upon graziers in 1891, when, after three exceptional good seasons, they found all local avenues for the disposal of their surplus steak closed. It was plainly seen that in some shape or other, whether frozen, chilled, canned, or as tallow, surplus stock would have to be got rid of by exporting it out of the colony. There were nearly 62,000,000 sheep, and the country was at that time very much over-stocked. The surplus consisted for the most part of animals not fit for export as dressed mutton, so that the “pots” were called into requisition, and the old wasteful, but prompt, method of boiling down for tallow was resorted to. Millions of sheep were thus disposed of, and together with numbers of good sheep, a great clearance was made of old and inferior stock, leaving more room also for sheep to be fattened.
Source: New South Wales Government Meat-Market, Darling Harbour, Sydney (Lessees: Geddes, Birt, & Co., Limited); New South Wales: the mother colony of the Australias; Frank Hutchinson; C. Potter (Sydney); 1896; Public Domain, from the British Library’s Collection, 2013