Bartlett, Frederick James, Koroit, was born at Belfast, Victoria, and served his apprenticeship as a chemist and druggist at that place, after which he went to Melbourne, and was engaged there at his profession for ten years. He opened his present place of business in Koroit in 1884.
Baulch, Frederick, Koroit, is a native of Koroit, and has resided in the district all his life. His occupation is that of farmer, butter-making being his chief employment.
Beasley, John, Kirkstall, a native of Berkshire, England, came out to Tasmania in 1841, and remained there five years, when he came over to Victoria. He was in Bendigo and at Rosebrook for some time, and in 1866 settled at his present place at Kirkstall, where he carries on the business of farming and grazing.
Birmingham, Patrick, Koroit, was born at Dublin, Ireland, 1808. He arrived in Sydney, N.S.W., in 1826, and in 1845 went to Port Albert, Victoria, where he entered H.M. Customs. In 1847 he removed to the Western District, and now lives privately at Koroit, having retired from the active pursuit of business.
Boyd, William, Koroit, is a native of this colony, whose father (Mr. Alexander Boyd) came from Scotland to Victoria about forty years since. Mr. A. Boyd purchased his present property, Tarrone Station, in 1884, and Mr. William Boyd manages for him the business of a grazier of horses, cattle, and sheep.
Bruce, George, Illowa, is a native of Illowa, near Koroit, and has resided in the locality all his life, his present farm, Langholm, having been purchased from the Government by his father.
Bruce, James, farmer, Illowa, is a native of the Western District of Victoria, who is engaged in farming, and has been a resident of the locality all his life.
Campbell, Neil, Southern Cross, is a native of Johnstone, Scotland, who came out to Belfast, Victoria, in 1856, and has been in the Western District ever since. In 1883 he commenced his present business as a draper, grocer, and general storekeeper. He is also the postmaster for Southern Cross, near Koroit.
Cruickshank, William, Kirkstall, a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, came to Victoria in 1840. He landed at Port Phillip, and the following year went to the Westein District, locating himself at Mount Elephant. In 1859 he purchased the Jerka Station, Kirkstall, where he is now in grazing pursuits.
Dunne, James, Koroit, is a native of Victoria, born at Koroit. He was for some time employed on the Messrs. Rutledge’s Survey, and took up the farm he now occupies at Sea View, Koroit, in 1881.
Dunne, Michael J., Koroit, is a native of Koroit, and is engaged in farming and grazing on his property at Pine Grove, Koroit. He has been a member of the local borough council.
Gallin, J., and Son, Koroit. This firm consists of Mr. J. Gallin and his son, Mr. F. C. Gallin, cabinet-makers, upholsterers, undertakers, and timber merchants. The senior partner is a native of Devonshire, England, who came to Melbourne in 1854, and soon afterwards went to Belfast, remaining there until 1880, when he removed to Koroit, and established the present business.
Hindhaugh, William, Yambuk, is a native of the colony, born at Geelong, of English parentage. He occupied his present place in 1861, when for some fifteen months he lived on it in a tent. The property, known as Reedsdale, was purchased from Mr. Suter, and is nearly 13,000 acres in extent. Mr. Hindhaugh is occupied principally in grazing, and shears about 3000 sheep.
Horsfall, Henry, Koroit, a native of Yorkshire, England, where he learnt the science of farming, came out to Tasmania thirty-three years ago, and landed in Victoria three years since, being appointed manager of Mr. John Allison’s Toolong Station, near Koroit, which position he now occupies.
Humphreys, Thomas James, J.P., Kirkstall, is a native of Woodford, Victoria, and left that place with his parents at an early age, going to Koroit. He is now engaged in the business of farming and grazing. He is a member of the Koroit and Belfast Agricultural Societies, and has taken prizes at the shows of both for horses. Mr. Humphreys has been a member of the Port Fairy shire council for four years, and has occupied the presidential chair two years. He is a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick.
Hyde, William, Southern Cross, is a native of Koroit, Victoria. He started active life as a shearer, at which he was engaged two years, and now carries on business in the cultivation of his farm, Yangery Farm, Southern Cross, near Koroit. Mr. Hyde is a member of the agricultural Societies of Port Fairy, Koroit, and Warrnambool.
A Glimpse of Port Fairy and the River Moyne
Victoria and its Metropolis, Past and Present, 1888
Coloured by Remembering the Past in Colour
Irwin, H. J. H., Southern Cross, is a native of the north of Ireland, who landed in Melbourne in 1858, and was engaged in teaching. He first had charge of St. Luke’s school, Emerald Hill, and afterwards a school at Fitzroy. He then went to the Port Curtis rush, Queensland, and, returning to Victoria, took charge of a school at Middle Gully, in the Black Forest. In 1860 he went to Belfast, and in 1864 left that place to take charge of the Rosebrook school, which was under the same committee as that of Belfast; the latter school he left for Lake Bolac in 1881, remaining there until 1886, when he went back to the Belfast district, and was appointed master of the No. 1011 State-school, Southern Cross, Koroit. This is a fourth-class school, and has an average attendance of fifty-eight.
Johnston, Joseph, Koroit, is a native of the Western District, and son of Mr. Mark Johnston, who was born in the county Armagh, Ireland, and came to Victoria in July, 1841, staying in Melbourne for four years, and then going to the Western District. He first resided near Hamilton, but in 1854 took up a place near Koroit, afterwards removing to his present farm, Kinago Hill, Koroit, of which Mr. Joseph Johnston now has charge.
Laidlaw, George, Southern Cross, is a native of Roxburghshire, Scotland, who came to Melbourne in 1854, and went thence to Belfast in a small sailing vessel, the passage taking fourteen days. He is now engaged in farming pursuits at Southern Cross, near Koroit.
Laver, John, Koroit, a native of the colony, was in the employ of Newcombe and Co., Warrnambool, contractors and timber merchants, iron-mongers, &c., and on the opening of their Koroit branch, which was established early in 1886, took entire charge of it.
Marshall, Michael, Rosebrook, tanner and currier (retired from business).
McDonald, John, Orford, was born at Campbelltown, Scotland, and came to this colony in 1859, landing at Port Fairy. He went up country to a station near Hamilton, and remained there until the Land Act of 1865 came into operation, when he selected land near Mount Napier and Mount Eccles, and remained there until February, 1887, when he purchased his present residence, Woenong, of over 800 acres. He is the owner of the Mount Eccles farm and another farm near Mount Napier.
Nayler and Co., Koroit. Mr. Nayler, the head of this firm, is a native of Brighton, Victoria, who settled in the Western District in 1867, and established the present firm of contractors and general timber and iron-merchants, at Koroit, in 1886. The firm had the building of the grand stand on the Koroit racecourse, and has recently erected an additional story to the National Bank of Australasia, Koroit. It employs an average of eight men constantly.
Paterson, George, Crossley, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1832, and served his time at sea. In 1854 he shipped for this colony, and was cast away at Cape Northumberland, on the S.E. coast of South Australia, in February, 1885. After that he went to the Ararat diggings, and then proceeded to Port Fairy, rented a farm at Koroit, and carted to the diggings. He took up land in Gippsland in 1874, returned to Koroit in 1878, and took up his present farm, Park Hill, Crossley, and has been engaged in its cultivation ever since.
Ryan, Dr. Thomas F., Koroit, is a native of Ararat, Victoria, who was educated in Melbourne, took his degree of M.B. and C.H.B. at the Melbourne University, and attended the Melbourne Hospital. He afterwards had charge of the Nhill Hospital for a time, and finally settled down in Koroit to the practice of his profession.
Robertson, William, Yambuk. This gentleman, who is engaged in farming and grazing pursuits at Yambuk, is a native of the colony, born at Bendigo. He lived at Mount Greenock, Amherst, until he was fifteen years of age, after which he went to manage a station at Border Town, and remained there eleven years. He also managed a station at Hamilton for two years. In 1866 he took his present place of 5000 acres.
Scott, Michael, Kirkstall, is a native of Belfast, born of parents who came to the colony about 1844. He has a farm at Ferndale, Scott’s-road, Kirkstall, where he carries on his business of general farming, grazing, and the raising of live stock, principally horses and pigs.
Skilbeck, Richard, J.P., Southern Cross, is a native of Yorkshire, England, who came to Melbourne in 1858, and proceeded at once to the Western District. After eighteen months’ residence he purchased a place at Koroit, and with Mr. Midgley bought the steam flour mills there, where also he was engaged with steam-threshing machinery for twenty five years. He took up his present farm, Yangery Grange, Southern Cross, near Koroit, twenty years since. Mr. Skilbeck has been a member of the Koroit borough council, and was president of the Warrnambool Agricultural Association during the year the Governor visited the place. He is a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick, and returning-officer for the Villiers and Heytesbury electorate. He has also been secretary of the local Mechanics’ Institute from its inception, and has been connected with the Wesleyan Church since its formation in Koroit, being church-steward and treasurer. Mr. Skilbeck took the first prize for mode farms given, in 1886, by the Villiers and Heytesbury Agricultural Society.
Stephen, James, Koroit, a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, came out to Melbourne in 1852, and, after a visit to the Ovens diggings, went to the Western District in 1853. He purchased his present property of Kangaroo Park, Koroit, in 1865, and has devoted his attention in a great measure to the breeding of horses — draught, roadsters, and racers — of which he has bred a large number, and for which he has taken very many prizes at agricultural shows, &c. He took three leading prizes for horses at Hamilton in the year 1886. Mr. Stephen is owner of the well-known entries “Bonnie Hawthorn” and “ Souter Johnny.” He has frequently officiated as judge at horse shows.
Watson, Henry Greaves, Yambuk, has been in the colonies since 1852, in which year he came to Melbourne from Yorkshire, England. He was five months on the diggings at Bendigo, Mount Korong (near Wedderburn) and Fryer’s Creek, and after returning to Melbourne for a short time, went to New South Wales, where, with the exception of a trip to Apollo Bay, he remained seven years. He was also some time in South Australia. He went to Yambuk in 1863, and has lived in the district ever since. He purchased his present place, the River Shaw scouring establishment, eight or nine years since, and carries on a fellmongery there. He has also been in the butchering business for about six years.
Youl, Ebenezer, Yambuk, is a native of Tasmania, where his father, who originally landed from England in Sydney, N.S.W., was located at the time of his birth. In 1848 he arrived at Portland, whence he proceeded to his present place, St. Kitt’s, which had been purchased some time previously. St. Kitt’s lies about five miles north of Yambuk, and on it Mr. Youl is engaged principally in grazing pursuits.
Source: Victoria and its Metropolis, Past and Present. [Vol. 1 by A. Sutherland; vol. 2 by various authors. Illustrated.][electronic resource] (Melbourne: 1888)
PAGES: 1 2