Construction of the present Government House commenced in 1855. Some of the sandstone used in construction was excavated from quarries at the site, which are now ornamental pools. Local timbers were used for the joinery and Welsh slate for the roofs. Furnishings were ordered from Trollope and Sons, London.
The main construction was completed in 1857 and on 2 January 1858, Sir Henry Fox Young became the first Governor to take up residence. Internal finishing was completed over the following two years. Apart from the conservatory, which was rebuilt in accordance with the original uncompleted plan in 1991, the structure of the Government House remains as it was when it was first occupied.
Tasmania’s Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth.
Designed by colonial architect William Porden Kay, it is a fine example of an early Victorian country house in neo-Gothic style and is one of the largest of its type in Australia.
The scale, detail and finish of the entrance hall, grand corridor and staterooms together with their furniture are unequalled in Australia. [The Governor of Tasmania – https://www.govhouse.tas.gov.au]
Rosny Point, Tasmania
Government House from Rosny Point
Colourised and enhanced photo showing Government House, Hobart, looking northwest from Rosny Point – circa 1868.