Pretlove, Charles, Sandford, is a native of Victoria, who commenced business life in 1875 as a horse and cattle dealer and drover, and carried on that occupation until the beginning of 1887, when he went to Sandford, and purchased the business of Messrs. Summerville Bros., butchers, an old-established one of about sixteen years’ standing. The shop is a large one in the centre of the town, and Mr. Pretlove enjoys the leading business. He also owns from 200 to 300 acres of land near Apsley, which he uses for grazing purposes.
Price, Richard, senior, Myamyn, is a native of Oxfordshire, England, and was for some time a member of the metropolitan police force. He came to Victoria in 1854, landing in Portland, with a wife, eight children, and no money. He was first engaged on a farm, where he remained about twelve months, and was afterwards employed in various capacities. He commenced in the sawmill business at Myamyn in 1867, and that branch is now carried on by his sons. In 1878 he established a timber and iron business in Hamilton, from which he has retired, having leased it to Mr. T. T. Aitken.
Robinson and Gillespie, Casterton. This firm of general storekeepers consists of Messrs. Robert Grant Robinson and Samuel Gillespie, the latter of whom is a native of the north of Ireland, who came to Melbourne in 1867, and spent some years prospecting at various diggings, after which he took a trip home, and returning in 1875, started as general storekeeper at Camperdown, where he remained until 1884, when he sold his business, and removed to Casterton. There, in partnership with Mr. Robinson, he purchased the business and premises of Messrs. Sprigg Bros. Mr. Robinson is a native of Victoria, born in 1845. He commenced business life as commercial traveller for Messrs. Banks and Co., of Flinders-lane, Melbourne, and followed that calling until 1884, when he joined Mr. Gillespie at Casterton. The premises are situated in Henty-street, and comprise a large brick store and dwelling-house, standing on an acre of ground. The firm does one of the largest businesses in the district in groceries, drapery, ironmongery, timber, &c.
Robertson, Duncan, Balmoral (deceased), was born in Invernessshire, Scotland, and left his home the day on which Queen Victoria was crowned, arriving in Australia in 1838. After being about five years in New South Wales he came to Victoria, and settled at Struan, near Harrow, for five years. He then, in conjunction with Mr. Alexander Davidson, purchased Satimer station, and lived there twelve years. In 1861 he purchased Gringegalgona, where he built a handsome residence, and lived there until the time of his death, in November, 1882. The estate consists of 27,000 acres. Mr. Robertson left a family of two sons and two daughters.
Robertson, William, son of the above, was born in New South Wales, and arrived in Victoria in 1843, passing through Hamilton on the day the first hotel there received a license. He resided with his father at Gringegalgona until that gentleman died, when he and his brother John entered into possession of the estate, and he (Mr. W. Robertson) became sole possessor about a year later. He owns from 25,000 to 26,000 sheep, and a number of cattle and horses.
Robertson, James, is a native of Glenmyck, near Ballater, Scotland. He arrived in Australia in 1840. He purchased the Kongbool station and other properties in 1873.
Robertson, Thomas, Balmoral, is the resident manager and part owner with his three brothers of the Kongbool station, which was, with other properties, formerly owned by his father, Mr. James Robertson, of Mount Mitchell. It has an area of 28,000 acres, and runs about 26,000 sheep. The brothers Robertson are all natives of this colony.
Rogers, William, sen., Balmoral (deceased), was a native of England, came to Australia many years ago by the ship Priam, and landed at Portland. He learned the trade of blacksmith in England, and followed that occupation in Victoria. He was for two years at Muntham, after which he removed to Balmoral, and resided there until the time of his death, 24th November, 1883.
Rogers, William, jun., son of the above-named gentleman, was born in Balmoral, and has resided there all his life. He learned the trade of black smith with his father, at whose death he took over the business. Mr. Rogers owns in freehold his business premises, the Western Hotel, three cottages, and about 100 acres of land.
Seymour, Robert, Balmoral, is a native of Ireland, who arrived in Australia with his parents in 1839. His father, the late Mr. Henry Seymour, settled near Adelaide, S.A., remaining there several years, after which he removed to Mosquito Plains, near Narracoorte, where he resided until the time of his death. Mr. R. Seymour lived with his father until he was about twenty years of age, and was then in West Australia two years. After that he resided at his father’s homestead a short time, and then at Spring Hill, where he remained twelve years. In 1882 he took the management of the Glendinning station, near Balmoral, and still holds the position. The station belongs to Messrs. Grice, Sumner and Co. Mr. Seymour’s family still retain possession of the Kilanoola, on the Bool lagoon, Mosquito Plains, S.A.
Simpson, Archibald J., Penshurst, is a native of Victoria, born at The Leigh in 1859, and educated in Melbourne. Leaving school, he was for five years on Warrambeen station. After taking a trip to Europe he went to New South Wales, where he was for four years overseer on a station. About two years since he was appointed manager of Mount Napier station, near Hamilton, which position he now holds.
St. Andrew’s Church (Presbyterian), Penshurst. Present clergyman, the Rev. J. R. Anderson, M.A. Penshurst, from its formation, was visited by ministers from neighbouring towns until 1863, when the Rev. Robert Fawkner settled there, and at once organised a movement for the erection of a church, which object, with the help of the leading settlers in the district, he succeeded in accomplishing in 1865, the foundation-stone being laid by Mrs. Ritchie, wife of the late Dr. Ritchie, a neighbouring squatter. The Rev. R. Fawkner conducted services there until 1869, when the Rev. Mr. Allsworth received a call, and took charge of the district until 1876, in which year he departed for New Zealand, giving place to the Rev. Andrew Chambers, who remained there until 1876. The present pastor, the Rev. J. Ringland Anderson, M.A., is a native of Armagh, Ireland, and was educated at Belfast and Galway, took the degree of MA. at Queen’s University, Dublin, and came to Australia in 1880, spending one year in study at the Ormond College, Melbourne. He went to Penshurst in 1882, conducting services there, and at Caramut and Bald Hill, his congregation numbering about 200 members. He is president of the Penshurst Band of Hope and vice-president of the Mechanics’ Institute committee, and treasurer of the local Rechabite Tent. St. Andrew’s Church is a stone edifice located in the centre of the township.
Trainor, William, Coleraine, is an American, born in the State of New York. He came to Australia during the gold rush as a juvenile circus rider, and was a noted jockey in the early days, and is now looked upon as a magnificent horseman. Mr. Trainor was several years with the late Mr. Adam Lindsay Gordon, the celebrated steeplechase rider and poet, and first went to the Grange (Hamilton) in 1857. About 1870 he purchased the well-known Wannon Inn, the ownership of which he still retains, and, some years later, he leased and took possession of the Koroit Hotel, where he now carries on business.
Trangmar, James William, J.P., Coleraine, is a native of Portland, Victoria, and son of Mr. James Trangmar, an Englishman, born in Sussex, who was one of the very early settlers in that district. Mr. J. W. Trangmar went to Coleraine in 1867 to join his uncle in the business of general merchant. The business was originally established by Mr. Bowen, who, in 1852, sold out to Mr. George Trangmar, whom Mr. J. W. Trangmar succeeded in 1875. Mr. Trangmar is a justice of the peace for the western bailiwick, and takes a lively interest in all that pertains to the advancement of the district. It may be stated that when Mr. Trangmar took up the business he had but one assistant, whereas he now employs twelve hands.
Tulloh, C. R., Harrow, is a native of Scotland, who came to Australia in 1846, and settled as a squatter on the Wannon river, remaining there about ten years. He then removed to Harrow, and, in conjunction with his brother, bought the business of general storekeeper, which he has con ducted ever since, his brother having retired about 1865. Mr. Tulloh carries on a business in everything pertaining to a general store, and has done a gradually increasing trade since his commencement.
Turnbull, Adam, jun., J.P., Coleraine, a native of Tasmania, came to Victoria in 1845. Three extensive stations in the Coleraine district, known as Mount Koroit, Winninburn, and Dundas, and having a total area of 47,000 acres, were taken up jointly by Mr. Turnbull’s father, Dr. Adam Turnbull, senior, and Mr. William Young, both of Tasmania. Mr. Turnbull, junior, was first located in this colony at Mount Koroit, afterwards became part owner of the same, with his father, and lived on it until 1858, when the partnership between Turnbull and Young was dissolved, and the property divided, Winninburn falling to the Turnbulls, father and son, who continue to occupy it. Winninburn contains 10,500 acres, and is stocked with 22,000 sheep and 700 head of cattle. Mr. Turnbull, junior, has been a member of Wannon shire council since its formation in 1872, and has been twelve years its president. He has been a justice of the peace since 1861, and is chairman of the bench of magistrates. He is also president of the Pastoral and Agricultural Society, and chairman of the western group of the Municipal Association of Victoria.
Victoria, Bank of, Coleraine. The Coleraine branch of the Bank of Victoria was established in January 1873, its manager at that time being Mr. H. Chambers. He was followed by Mr. Wilkinson, who occupied the position from 1881 to 1886, when Mr. C. G. Gardiner was appointed manager. That gentleman has been identified with the Bank of Victoria for thirteen years. He entered the service as junior clerk in Maryborough, and remained there eight years, when he accepted the agency at Queenscliff, going thence as manager of the Fryerstown branch, and afterwards of the branch at Penshurst, where he remained until he was transferred to Coleraine. The bank is a very handsome edifice, built in 1875.
Ware, Joseph, of Minjali Station (pictured below), near Caramut, county Villiers, is one of the earliest pioneer settlers of Victoria. He was born in London in 1820, and arrived with his parents at Hobart, Tasmania, by the ship Lusitania, Captain Langdon, in 1823. In 1838 he came to Victoria with his elder brother George, landing with stock at Williamstown on 29th April. They first took up a run at the Native Creek run, near Geelong, which had been vacated by the brothers Learmonth. After remaining there for some time, Mr. George Vare disposed of the run, and started out west on his own and brother’s behalf, taking up the run known as Woowyrite, now the property of Mr. Thomas Shaw; at the same time they took up the Cloven Hill run, which is now known as Koort-Koort-Nong. In the year 1846 the brothers Ware purchased the grazing rights of the station known as Hamilton’s run, now called “Minjah,” and a short time afterwards acquired the Muston’s Creek runs Nos. 1 and 2, now named “Barwidgee.” Both Minjah and Barwidgee stations are still in the possession of Mr. Joseph Ware, while Koort-Koort-Nong is owned by his nephews — Jerry George and John Ware — the sons of George Ware, who lost his life while travelling from Koort-Koort-Nong to Yalla-Y-Poora, a station belonging to a younger brother, John Ware. In 1850 Mr. Joseph Ware married Miss Jennings, by whom he has a family of eight children — two sons and six daughters. In May, 1886, he paid a lengthened visit to Europe, returning to the colony in December, 1887.
“Minjah” The Residence of Joseph Ware, Esq., J.P., Near Caramut
Victoria and its Metropolis, Past and Present, 1888
Coloured by Remembering the Past in Colour
Wilkinson, W. Tomline, Casterton, is son of Mr. Frederick Wilkinson, late Master-in-Equity of Victoria, and is a native of the colony. He was admitted in June, 1876, and commenced the practice of his profession as solicitor in 1877 at Casterton, in an office in Henty-street, opposite the court-house, where he carried on business until March, 1887, when he re moved to rooms in the Mechanics’ Institute, in the same street. Mr. Wilkinson is solicitor for the Glenelg shire council, and is a commissioner for taking affidavits.
Williams, William, Casterton, was born at Swansea, South Wales, and landed in Adelaide, S.A., in 1851, when he served an apprenticeship of five years to Mr. Charles Dutch, who was at that time employed in erecting a number of flour mills for Mr. John Dunn (now M.L.C.). In 1856 he went to work for Mr. J. G. Ramsay, agricultural implement maker, of Adelaide — chiefly strippers and double-furrow ploughs. In 1862 Mr. Williams went to Mount Gambier, and, starting there on his own account, remained twelve years, and, in 1874, removed to Casterton, purchased land, and erected his present foundry and works, where he manufactures all kinds of farm implements, strippers and double-furrow ploughs being a specialty, and he being one of the first, if not the first, maker of the latter in Victoria. Mr. Williams contemplates establishing a factory in Melbourne, as his specialty in double-furrow ploughs is becoming widely and favorably known.
Young, George, Coleraine, is a native of Scotland, who came out to Tasmania with his family when a child. In 1850 he came to Victoria and settled on a station called Mount Koroit, belonging to his father, the late Mr. William Young, and Dr. Adam Turnbull, both of Tasmania, and owners of two other stations in Victoria as well, named Winninburn and Dundas, all three being near Coleraine. On the dissolution of the partnership, Mount Koroit fell to the share of Mr. W. Young, senior, and on his death descended to the three brothers, Thomas, William, and George young. At the death of William it became the property of the two remaining brothers and was sold in 1873 £40,000.
Source: Victoria and Its Metropolis, Past and Present – Vol II. – The Colony and It’s People in 1888; Published by McCarron, Bird, & Co., Melbourne; Courtesy: The British Library