St. Paul’s Plains
LIST OF OFFICERS IN VAN DIEMEN’S LAND
Royal Veteran Company
Captain G. J. Romney
Captain P. M’Pherson
Lieutenant A. Murray
Lieutenant J. R. Ball
Lieutenant Colonel Logan
Assistant Surgeon Russell
GUARDS OF THE GARRISON
The Troops in Hobart Town furnish 3 Serjeants, 6 Corporals, and 45 Privates daily, as a Guard, viz.
Main or Lieutenant Governor’s Guard – consists of 1 Serjeant, 2 Corporals, and 15 Privates, which furnishes 1 sentry over the Governor’s Gate, 1 at the Treasurer’s Office, 1 on the Commissariat Office, 1 on the Bonded Store, and 1 on the Ordnance Store.
Gaol – is guarded by 1 Corporal and 9 Privates, who furnish 3 loaded sentries in the interior of the Gaol.
Chain Gang Guard – consists of 1 Serjeant and 9 Privates, which furnish 3 sentries over the Gang by day, and 2 over their Barrack by night; the other sentry by night is placed over the Treasurer’s Office, making two by night.
Mulgrave Battery – is guarded by one Corporal and 3 Privates, furnishing a sentry over the MagaZille.
The Main Barrack —is guarded by one Serjeant and 1 Corporal, furnishing 2 sentries for the prevention of Soldiers going out after hours.
Total Number of Troops
3 Field Officers.
23 Lieutenants and Ensigns.
5 Staff Officers.
Colonial Aide-de-Camp, Charles Arthur.
Major Commanding in the Interior
Major Douglass, 63d Regiment.
Source: The Van Diemen’s Land Almanack 1831; Hobart Town; Edited and Printed by Henry Melville, Colonial Times Newspaper Office